Sponsored by:

MSRC Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 AM
KentCNC
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 120 Posts

Default MSRC Maintenance

With respect to maintenance, how will MSRC shocks compare to conventional shocks? I assume it will be very costly to replace MSRC shocks. I know we don't have facts about the C7 MSRC system, but what has the experience been with the C6 system?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

There is no additional maintenance required for the MR shocks on the C6, so I would guess it would be the same for the C7.

As for replacement cost, they are certainly more than regular shocks, but they only need to be replaced if something goes wrong. They are supposed to last the life of the car.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No problems with my '05 w/MR and from what I've read in the C6 Forum, very few real problems. No regular maintenance as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
There is no additional maintenance required for the MR shocks on the C6, so I would guess it would be the same for the C7.

As for replacement cost, they are certainly more than regular shocks, but they only need to be replaced if something goes wrong. They are supposed to last the life of the car.
Does GM warrant them for the life of the car, or for 36 months/36,000 miles?

GM sells replacement Mag ride shocks over the parts counter. They wouldn't need to, if they lasted the life of the car.

I've seen owners of C6's make posts that they had to pay around a $1,000 for a single replacement shock because they had one go bad, and were out of warranty.

Example of a post in the C6 section.....

"As many know, I had to take the Vette into the dealer at around the 400 mile point to try and get 3 of the 4 shocks replaced. They were leaking oil. The dealer wiped them off and said it was factory installation oil. Several days later I returned so that they could replace the 3 shocks that were still leaking the "factory installation oil". After replacing the 3 shocks and damaging the drivers side rocker panel underneath the car, I picked the car up and hoped the shock issue was behind me and forgot about.

Well, on Tuesday I decided to do a 2500 mile oil change. I put the Vette on my lift and low and behold I have 2 rear shocks leaking oil again.

These shocks are made in Mexico. Anyone have leaking shocks besides me? Or did I just happen to be the only one who was lucky enough to receive 5 bad shocks?

FWIW, I have the Magnetic Ride Control too."

And another post.....

"2008 coupe, 45k miles.

I found out today from the local dealership, that the fluid from the front left Magnetic Ride shock leaked out. The car bottoms out over speed bumps, pot holes, etc.

Does GMPP cover this? Has anyone dealt with GMPP and MRC shock replacement?

I purchased the GMPP because the website specifies (and the dealer that sold the GMPP of course agreed,) that "Ride Control Suspensions" are covered. But in the disclaimers, it states that shocks are not. Wouldn't Magnetic Ride Control fall under Ride Control Suspensions?

The list price for each shock is over $1000 (and I'm sure the dealership will charge me that if GMPP does not cover it,) and gmpartsdirect sells each for $530.00. Are these GMPartsDirect OEM shocks? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance,"

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-11-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
No problems with my '05 w/MR and from what I've read in the C6 Forum, very few real problems. No regular maintenance as far as I'm concerned.

That has been my experience. Nothing last forever on a car. It is well worth the cost in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Africa_Nick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you.

I owned a C4 in high school and the car had FX-3 and the sensor or something went bad on the shock. It cost like 2-3k to fix. On top of that, I had multiple dealers look at it prior to it getting fixed and all of them diagnosed the problem differently. I kept getting this "Service Ride Control" message on my information panel. It was crap. Was FX-3different than MRC?

Of course, the C4 is a completely different beast than the C6 and C7.

But the cabin in the C7 is reminiscent of the C4. Can't wait to hear folks freak out about that statement. Come on, lets start a forum war!!!

But I digress....
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The MSRC suspension components are sealed and intended to be maintenance free. They are expensive components however if they do need to be replaced. With respect to the Gen II MR shocks on the C6, they were engineered to last "the life of the car". Like anything there will be a distrubtion of failures with some falling short of design goals and some far outlasting design goal. My shocks are still fine on my '05 with 40,000 miles on a car built in November of 2004 with a couple of track days and a lot smiles from spirited driving on Kentucky backroads.

Get notified of new replies

To MSRC Maintenance

Quick Reply: MSRC Maintenance