Sponsored by:

Active Aerodynamics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM
yenko boy
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Active Aerodynamics?

Just wondering if you guys think Chevy will incorporate this tech to the higher perf model/models. A lot of competitors are using this tech on the new super and hyper cars with much success enhancing a cars aero and down-force. Discuss...
Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,477 Likes on 2,278 Posts

I actually hope they don't use it and that in general terms they don't need it.

Unlike Ferraris and other exotics, these cars get driven. Many well past 100k miles. Many are kept for a long time. I'd rather they don't add devices that over the long haul may impair the strong long-term durability of these cars.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 528 Likes on 318 Posts

I always liked the porsche auto spoiler. Wouldn't mind something like that.

Also wouldn't mind active closing doors on the front like the eco cars are getting now. What works for efficiency works for speed too.

I can't see how these things would detract from reliability. If they break you can still drive the car and I personally have not experienced problems with power windows, wipers, or any of the other eleven million powered things in late model cars to a degree that I'm scared of reliability.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,477 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I always liked the porsche auto spoiler. Wouldn't mind something like that.

Also wouldn't mind active closing doors on the front like the eco cars are getting now. What works for efficiency works for speed too.

I can't see how these things would detract from reliability. If they break you can still drive the car and I personally have not experienced problems with power windows, wipers, or any of the other eleven million powered things in late model cars to a degree that I'm scared of reliability.

I generally have the same attitude. OP's post just reminded me of the day I spent at the track with a fellow whose Porsche's rear active spoiler was sticking on one side, the other side not, and it getting jacked out of shape every time it tried to deploy. I think he spent more time that day cursing and fiddling with it than he did on the track. Obviously a single anecdotal data point, but it is what I was immediately reminded of by OP's question. I'm perfectly willing not to have to worry about any of that on mine.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Chevrolet Cruze Eco has active aerodynamics and they don't distract from the looks of the car(good or bad).

Feature is not restricted to upper end cars.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Very possible. I like the Ferrari F12 solution that has openings in the front bumper that open and close depending on brake temps. Pretty awesome stuff.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I think Corvette will avoid using an active rear spoiler simply because the feature is strongly identified with Porsche. The strength of that perception may have faded by the time C8 appears; in the meantime, Team Corvette is proud of the other aero tricks they employed, so much so they painted the vents a different color.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mitsubishi 3000gt aka GTO used them front and rear in what, 1990? How much they accomplished back then who knows, but with today's testing, it certainly would work.

It'll happen on the vettes I'm sure, not on base models to keep cost down.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

One of the reasons the cars keep getting heavier is the addition of more motors, etc. It all weighs something. It is a shame we get an exotic aluminum frame and the car gets heavier. I know the trend is for more gizmo's.

Get notified of new replies

To Active Aerodynamics?

Quick Reply: Active Aerodynamics?