Sponsored by:

Why oh why is the C7 so lamented

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sin City
Dude. Do you smoke weed? If so, take a hit. If not, I suggest you start.

It's just a car. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it.

I see common themes in some posts on here;
In my opinion, if you act like youre a Vette person, but proceed to tell us you ordered, say a Porsche....Then I yell...BS....
and Troll comes to mind.

If I didn't like the car someone made, and was buying something else, I would not be wasting my time posting negativity towards that cat, I'd posting positives about the car I'm buying (on their forum)

TROLL

And the other recurring theme is thos that insist on posting their opinion as if its fact. It's YOUR opinion...

and like A-Holes....everyone has them
Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Great, just what we need: yet another thread that invites haters and whiners to post their complaints.

Frankly, any idiot knows that different people have different opinions. The ones who keep pointing it out are constantly using that preamble in order to tee up their annoying criticisms for the hundredth time.

I could care less that different people have different opinions. Just have them post their annoying criticisms someplace else.

I am here to share in the excitement of a car that I know to be the best Corvette ever. The last thing I want to read is commentary by people who for whatever reason harbor negative opinions.

Yes, this is the Internet, and people can more or less say what they want. But this web site is privately-held, and I really wish the owners would start kicking out people who do nothing except ruin a happy experience for everyone else.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

im a troll...

thats why im the first person on this forum today to talk about turbo charging my c7.

And i have a numbered museum 200,000+ dollar 1000 hp lingenfelter tt z06 car signed by ron fellows with no expense spared... which ron fellows set up the phadt coil over suspension on the car for 3 hours one day.

And i have hundreds of posts on here as i custom build larger fuel systems etc.

I take these cars appart constantly, and make them better.

I love corvettes. I loved them because they used to be lighter than porsche. This next generation, that is not the case.

People switch brands when their brand stops advancing at the proper pace.

You guys are so brainwashed, you think a v6 makes 300hp, and you sight bmw's motors weight.

Guess what, porsche is winning lemans. Their motor is the one you should be paying attention to...

And their V6... is making more power, than your V8 in your entry level car, and their is 2.2 liters smaller, and their engine is lighter.

Thanks for pretending chevy did the best that can be done... and why are the wheels only 285 width? Who's brilliant idea was that?

The car will be good, once a person like myself pours a bunch of money into it.

Or a person can go buy a base 911 S and be in an uncommon import, that holds its value better, and demands more respect from the general public. And be faster 0-60. And have more grip.

Focussing on losing brands, to make yourself feel better, isnt addressing the problem. Porsche is the brand you should be looking at. As well as ferrari, as well as lamborghini, because the c5 and c6 were much lighter than their cars...

And the c7 is now heavier. Thats a big deal.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:53 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
I'll play and keep in mind I have seen the car in person.

1. Expectations - this is the fault of the Corvette spoiling the auto world with it's progression of the C5 and C6. In both those we got:

- Lighter than the previous generation - This is a step backward that the C7 is heavier. I don't care what the excuse is. I really don't.

- Substantial bump in HP +/- around 50 over the outgoing model with the exception of the one off 1996 C4 Engine. WIth all the talk of DI and a new Generation engine I think everyone was expecting more than a 24hp increase. C6 at intro gained 50HP with no DI.

- Much needed size reduction in length on the C6

2. Looks

- 3/4 of the car is pretty attractive especially the front. The hatch gets the much needed revamp that is way overdue and is actually the most radical design element introduced to almost no consternation.

BUT:

- The rear end is a mess. - It is not like pop up headlights in the C6. The concept of the non pop up headlights was a point of contention more than the actual design of them.

Also no one compared them to the visual stylings of lesser Chevrolet models that also start with a "C" and end in "amaro". Unifying the design language of the Corvette so it has familial resemblance to the Malibu, Traverse or the other C car, is and will always be a bad idea. Corvette has been on it's own island for about 4 decades in the Chevy lineup and should have remained that way.

Embracing what made you an icon is part of what makes you an icon. Running away from it makes a mess.

3. Propaganda

- It irks me how IMO they are telling us how all these deficiencies are so great. Especially when the C7 is two years late to the party. Heavier is not better nor is having skinnier tires - it amazes me the audacity to spin weight gain as not negative to a sports car.

- More Efficient! - Duh! Isn't that the point of DI - wouldn't it be even more efficient if it where lighter?

- Going for the "younger" buyer agenda. Did not work for Nissan and the GTR - buying a $59 copy of GT4 for the Playstation does not mean you can buy a $59,000+ car. And what is sad it there are hints of GTR design elements all over the C7. Pandering to the audience that did NOT buy the GTR - brilliant.

- On the forum C7 criticism is met with "hater" and "jealous" tags that are for the most part incorrect or childish. Many of us here could go out and buy a C7 today if we wanted to. I had no problem dumping my C5 Z06 for the C6Z06 as it was a better car and better looking in every way.

Many of the critiques of the C6 during it's run got us a better more refined car as the model matured. The notion that GM is deaf to criticism is just more BS.

The good news is GM can put their big boy pants on and fix these things on the upcoming Hi-Po (Z06) model - Make it lighter, faster wider and please, please fix that horrid rear end.

If they do not step up I fear it will get even uglier around here.

Save all the puffed up defense and attacks - It's not your first born - He asked and I answered.

Dude, you need to get a life. First, if you don't like the rear of the C7, don't buy it.

second, weight gain had to come. How do you add all of the new technology, new safety regs etc etc and not add weight?

third, skinny tires??? Your hitting the pipe to much. Wide tires looks great, however, more rolling resistance, higher Cd, etc etc.

If you like the Pcars, BM, F cars, go buy them at double the price and less performance.

Remember, it's a $52k base starting price and where does the F cars, P cars and MB start?

No one can offer a car that does the performance, the looks and technology that the C7 has. If they could they would have already done it, that's why the Corvette is in a league by themselves.

Everyone WANTS 1000 HP, 2000 pound rocket ship that does 300mph and goes 0-60 in 1 sec, NOT REALITY for $52k.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 PM
1986C4Z51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is something about machinery which generates strong loyalty from the users, frequently stronger than what you see shared between friends or even relatives.

I was in the Navy when the FA-18 was just replacing the A-7. The A-7 was a good airplane, but the FA-18 is like a quantum leap in performance, plus, it has 2 engines vs one for the A-7, which is a big confidence builder when you're flying off the ship, especially at night.

Talking with the A-7 drivers I knew, they could come up with a million reasons why the old A-7 could still do the job and why the Hornet really wasn't better, and they weren't even going to have to pay for the new airplanes: they were free!

Go figure.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by irun4cops
porsche as a whole... dropped about 200 lbs and stiffened their chassis.

The gt3 911 weighs less than the previous z06... thats a big deal.

The gt3rs, will most likely be sub 3000 lbs.

Corvette didnt go forward... they went backwards.

Thats what the gripe is about, and come lemans time, you'll find out its a big deal.

And if you are already running carbon body work and an aluminum frame... theres not much easy weight to shave in the z06 and zr1 models. Infact, they have to get heavier due to wheels, brakes, blowers, etc, all adding weight.

The next Audi R8 and Lambo Gallardo replacement (which share platforms) will lose 300lbs as well. The new 2013 Viper is also lighter than the model it replaced.

Almost every new generation of sports car has lost weight.

I am worried about the upcoming Hi-Po Z06 will come in heavier.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Ambition
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hostility, divisiveness, and a general feeling of polarization have been around this forum for a few months now. That is a huge red flag for me.

I don't, however, blame the 'fanboys' or the 'trolls' for the tension. I blame Chevrolet. Why? Because Chevy created a very polarizing car, and we all know it.

The sad part is that those with differing opinions are not welcome to share them, because a few overly negative forum members left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

I watched the live reveal in immense anticipation. I wanted to like the c7 so badly. I went to Detroit to see the car in person. And that is why I, personally am so disappointed. Because I desperately want to like the car, but glaring mistakes prevent me form doing so.

To those of you who love the car, I am truly jealous of you. Enjoy it, because Chevy did get a lot of things right.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Everyone keeps saying "if we dont like the car, then dont buy it..."

that bluff is only going to work for so long, because eventually brand loyalists will leave.

People say i should buy something else, and then accuse me of being a troll when i say im going to buy a gt3 911, when ive owned over a million dollars worth of corvettes and im only 30 years old and ive been on this forum for over 6 years.

You guys are annoying.

You start a thread and ask what the problem is, and people like myself tell you what the problem is , and you say stop complaining, go buy a different car.

And people like myself are going to.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Ah, so "The C7 weighs too much" is the latest brainiac commentary regurgitated here. I think I hear the Boxster community forums calling your names. Please by all means go there and stay there.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

porsche as a whole... dropped about 200 lbs and stiffened their chassis.

The gt3 911 weighs less than the previous z06... thats a big deal.

The gt3rs, will most likely be sub 3000 lbs.

Corvette didnt go forward... they went backwards.

Thats what the gripe is about, and come lemans time, you'll find out its a big deal.

And if you are already running carbon body work and an aluminum frame... theres not much easy weight to shave in the z06 and zr1 models. Infact, they have to get heavier due to wheels, brakes, blowers, etc, all adding weight.

If you like losing to porsche, then yes, please, applaud and smile.
Corvette stiffened chassis 57% on the BASE model. The base Stingray weighs 3298 lbs at half the cost of the GT3.

The GT3 weighs 3200 lbs. Not impressive for >$131,000 base and it doesn't even offer a manual transmission. We'll see how Porsche purists feel about that.

BTW, we'll see what the >$131,000 Corvette weighs.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:08 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

and the days of people like myself pouring 100+g into a vette to make it kill a ferrari and a porsche... will come to an end, because we will buy something lighter...

because our goal isnt to make a vette the fastest... our goal is to be the fastest.

A vette used to make that possible. Weight, is the number 1 enemy of any race car.

Its that simple.

What you dont understand is, the reason you can brag corvettes can beat all these other cars, are people like myself who spend their lives making them faster. And the day i stop buying the car, and so do the others that are like me... is the day the rest of you have nothing left to brag about...

because a lemans trophy isnt happening for a car that weighs more... when all other brands got lighter.

Unless they run a completely different frame... in which case...

youre no different than the guy who buys a ford focus and then points at a nascar and says "thats mine!"
Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986C4Z51
There is something about machinery which generates strong loyalty from the users, frequently stronger than what you see shared between friends or even relatives.

I was in the Navy when the FA-18 was just replacing the A-7. The A-7 was a good airplane, but the FA-18 is like a quantum leap in performance, plus, it has 2 engines vs one for the A-7, which is a big confidence builder when you're flying off the ship, especially at night.

Talking with the A-7 drivers I knew, they could come up with a million reasons why the old A-7 could still do the job and why the Hornet really wasn't better, and they weren't even going to have to pay for the new airplanes: they were free!

Go figure.
Great post. Recent loyalties that come to mind:

LT4 owners shrug off the LS1 C5 as a driver race

LS1 C5 guys shrug off the C5 Z06 as just 50 more hp and that's it

C5 Z06 guys shrug off the LS3 C6

LS3 guys shrug off the C6 Z06 as just 70 more hp

C6 Z06 guys shrug off the C6 ZR1 as just a comfy GT car and driver race

Nothing wrong with sibling rivlary until the blinders become a full encompassed visor over your eyes to progression.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:16 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Corvette stiffened chassis 57% on the BASE model. The base Stingray weighs 3298 lbs at half the cost of the GT3.

The GT3 weighs 3200 lbs. Not impressive for >$131,000 base and it doesn't even offer a manual transmission. We'll see how Porsche purists feel about that.

BTW, we'll see what the >$131,000 Corvette weighs.
porsches are 10 times nicer inside, customizable all the way down to the seat belt color, the faces on the gauges, the stiching on the seat, and the 30+ colors of leather they let you choose from.

There is a reason they are double the money.

And their last car, that was HEAVIER than a vette, kept up quite well in lemans, and also on the street. Not to mention, they have ALL WHEEL drive as an option, and launch a full second faster to 60mph.

For them to be nicer inside AND faster... and ... NICER OUTSIDE... the *** end of their car looks like a million bucks...

there is no reason for a person to pour money into a vette, when they can just spend the money up front on a porsche, and the car holds its value.

In my opinion, my c6 tt z06 is going to be a collector car one day, because its the last car that chevy got lighter with.

I HOPE... that chevy goes crazy with carbon fiber and magnesium all over the z06 interiors... im talking carbon fiber seats, whole dash board assemblies, door panels... everything.

And if they do... cool.

But its spooky for a person like myself, when a car company brags about how their frame is stiffer and gains weight...

meanwhile porsches also got stiffer... and guess what... it lost weight.

neat how thats possible huh?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Man this weight issue is just so boring.

I could not care if the car weight 8000 lbs if it performs well. I swear it sounds like someone in a public john peaking over and saying "hey, my ******* is bigger than yours!"

Geez. Most Vette owners are 100 lbs overweight anyway.

Chevy from day one knew that price was critical to keeping the car relevant. They designed the car to maximize the performance and keep the base owners still in the pool.

Shoot them for having this audacity.

This reminds me of the argument about the Ferrari 458 vs the McLaren 12c. So many said "Look! The 12c is lighter and more power! Ferrari killer!!!"

Nope. What they forgot is that it isn't weight and power that make a great car. It's the overall package that matters. And, every critic said the 458 is the better driving package. There's long waiting lists for 458's while at the same time you can get a new Mac 12c's for 50 grand off sticker.

It's the exact same silly argument here.

Last edited by Sin City; 07-14-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Tony C7
Instructor

I personally couldn't be happier with the way the C7 turned out. I've always wanted a Z06 version Corvette...but I'm tempted so much just to order a base Sting Ray. Patience...patience.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

and the 131000 dollar vette will be lucky to be EQUAL in weight to this current base c7... wider wheels alone will add at least 30 lbs to the car, turbos or superchargers will add at least 30 lbs to the car.

Larger engine displacement, 50lbs.

Larger brakes, 10 lbs.

Larger radiator, intercoolers, fuel lines fuel rails, heavier duy clutches, etc etc etc.

The car goes up in weight.

What you guys who dont take appart the cars for sport, dont seem to understand is...

if the car is already made out of carbon and aluminum...

Theres nothing left to do to shave weight...

Other than figure out how to make the stereo out of carbon fiber. Which weighs about over 15lbs btw in the c6.

But all you experts know that right?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

and the 131000 dollar vette will be lucky to be EQUAL in weight to this current base c7... wider wheels alone will add at least 30 lbs to the car, turbos or superchargers will add at least 30 lbs to the car.

Larger engine displacement, 50lbs.

Larger brakes, 10 lbs.

Larger radiator, intercoolers, fuel lines fuel rails, heavier duy clutches, etc etc etc.

The car goes up in weight.

What you guys who dont take appart the cars for sport, dont seem to understand is...

if the car is already made out of carbon and aluminum...

Theres nothing left to do to shave weight...

Other than figure out how to make the stereo out of carbon fiber. Which weighs about over 15lbs btw in the c6.

But all you experts know that right?
Maybe we don't care because it's not important?

Get notified of new replies

To Why oh why is the C7 so lamented

Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Durnberg
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Wow, after actually reading all this (and checking the moon phase-no it is not full) I still love the C7. I am excited about getting the car, more excited than I have been in a long time. I can understand the passion and concerns that many of you have expressed but you know what? I'm not buying a Porsche, I don't care if the car weights more, if its rear looks like a bent over git r done Larry, if there are hints of GT-R, if......

The beauty is that I can read all of this (and some well stated criticisms) and still be confident and enthused about my choice. The C7 is the car I wanted and it's the car I ordered.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Dude, you need to get a life. First, if you don't like the rear of the C7, don't buy it.

second, weight gain had to come. How do you add all of the new technology, new safety regs etc etc and not add weight?

third, skinny tires??? Your hitting the pipe to much. Wide tires looks great, however, more rolling resistance, higher Cd, etc etc.

If you like the Pcars, BM, F cars, go buy them at double the price and less performance.

Remember, it's a $52k base starting price and where does the F cars, P cars and MB start?

No one can offer a car that does the performance, the looks and technology that the C7 has. If they could they would have already done it, that's why the Corvette is in a league by themselves.

Everyone WANTS 1000 HP, 2000 pound rocket ship that does 300mph and goes 0-60 in 1 sec, NOT REALITY for $52k.
Do you have a C7 on order? Or are you getting one in a "few" years? Or are you a poseur GM intern?

How did all the other Sports cars mentioned lose weight by having the same or better technology and same mandatory safety regs?

OTD in CA you will be closer to $70K than $52K. Nice try newbie. I answered the OPs question like an adult without getting personal. Try it sometime and don't act like a butthurt D-Bag. It's not a family member it's a car.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Do you have a C7 on order? Or are you getting one in a "few" years? Or are you a poseur GM intern?

How did all the other Sports cars mentioned lose weight by having the same or better technology and same mandatory safety regs?

OTD in CA you will be closer to $70K than $52K. Nice try newbie. I answered the OPs question like an adult without getting personal. Try it sometime and don't act like a butthurt D-Bag. It's not a family member it's a car.
Wow. Some here need to get a grip. Did the wife burn the breakfast this morning or something? The paper boy left the paper on the wet grass? Maybe having a gout attack?

Let's stick to the issues and not start name calling. I think (or at least I hope) we can be adults here.

Quick Reply: Why oh why is the C7 so lamented