Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C7 owners and "The Wave"

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

When I purchased my first new vette in 1989, nobody told me about the wave. I'm driving down the road and another vette driver waves at me, I didn't wave back not knowing about the wave, I figured he just thought he knew me. It happened a couple of more times and then I got it. I thought it was really cool that corvette owners had a sense of pride in their automobile as I did in mine and from that point waved. Here's my take on it. You are buying a new C7 obviously because you like the car and it appeals to you more than other cars that you may have considered. You have that in common with almost every corvette owner. So wave. Don't be the douche that thinks he's above everyone else and doesn't need or want to wave because he doesn't really know you. As much as the other vette driver could be a dirtbag, there is also the chance they could be your next best friend. Sure, there will be times that you looked the other way or can't be distracted but for the most part, it's no big deal to raise a couple of fingers off your steering wheel for 2 seconds.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
You are totally missing the point. It has nothing to do with being special, it' just acknowledging other people with the same passion as your own. No different than motorcycles who do the same thing.

And if someone doesn't want to wave, that's ok too.....
If I waved at ever Vette I saw driving down the Vegas strip, I'd have to have carpel tunnel surgery on my wrist in a week.

If if every Vette owner beeped their horn, the noise would put us all deaf.

Face it... in some parts of the country a Vette is not that special. It's a nice car and all but not special. Like I said, when it gets old you sell it to the next guy or trade it for the next shiny box on wheels. Do you do that with your pets?

I'm not going to feel guilty because I don't wave. There's no point to it other than showing off you actually own one to another person who probably doesn't give a hoot but feels obligated to wave back or he feels like a jerk. "Yah, whatever... here you go".

Last edited by Sin City; 07-20-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

You are totally missing the point. It has nothing to do with being special, it' just acknowledging other people with the same passion as your own. No different than motorcycles who do the same thing.

And if someone doesn't want to wave, that's ok too.....
Originally Posted by Sin City
If I waved at ever Vette I saw driving down the Vegas strip, I'd have to have carpel tunnel surgery on my wrist in a week.

Face it... in some parts of the country a Vette is not that special. It's a nice car and all but not special. Like I said, when it gets old you sell it to the next guy or trade it for the next shiny box on wheels. Do you do that with your pets?

I'm not going to feel guilty because I don't wave. There's no point to it other than showing off you actually own one to another person who probably doesn't give a hoot but feels obligated to wave back or he feels like a jerk. "Yah, whatever... here you go".
I guess you didn't read my last sentence...
Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 832 Likes on 394 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have been driving Corvette's since 1969, and I learned about the wave about two days after getting my first Corvette. I still wave at any Corvette I pass no matter what generation. I respect the OP's right to not wave if he feels so inclined. What I do fine offensive is his attitude towards the other generations. He seems to feel because he will soon own and drive the C7, all other generations are below him.
He really needs to forget buying a C7 and think about joining the BMW, Porsche or Ferrari group. They will most likely have the same attitude.
I attend a large Cars & Coffee every month with 300-400 cars in attendance and I find that everyone seems to talk with everyone else, except those in the European group. They all stand around and ignore those that are not in their mind one of the elite ones. So the OP sounds like he may fit that group much better then the Corvette community.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

9 out of 10 Corvette owners will wave at you as you pass, regardless of what year or model you drive. Do you want to be part of the 9, or do you want to be the other one? It's your choice.

I'm part of the 9, and I'll know who you are if you don't wave back. It's not really a problem for me. There are butt-holes everywhere, just not very often in a classic car.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know...you convinced me. Screw the wave...Corvettes, where I live are a dime a dozen...especially C6 Z06s. Too many to wave to every one passing by. I'd still wave at a C3 and older...just because it's nice to see them on the road.

You know... I never get waves from all these fat weekend warrior Hardley riders either whenever I'm on my sportbike. No sweat off my back...I don't feel it's a big deal not to wave now.
I certainly will never be friends with most of the old dudes in Corvettes or on Harleys ....so who cares if they get butt hurt if I don't wave?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:26 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

...I'm not going to feel guilty because I don't wave. There's no point to it other than showing off you actually own one to another person who probably doesn't give a hoot but feels obligated to wave back or he feels like a jerk. "Yah, whatever... here you go".
I don't know anything about the wave tradition, it sounds cool enough to me I guess. This however, made me laugh out loud. "Yah, whatever...here ya go."
Old 07-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I guess you didn't read my last sentence...

I read it. I disagree that Vette owners think they are "special" and therefore others are not.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I like this site that was set up about the corvette wave: http://www.savethewave.net/stw/TheWave.asp
Old 07-20-2013, 11:34 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I read it. I disagree that Vette owners think they are "special" and therefore others are not.
You truly are clueless....
Old 07-20-2013, 11:39 AM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I have been driving Corvette's since 1969, and I learned about the wave about two days after getting my first Corvette. I still wave at any Corvette I pass no matter what generation. I respect the OP's right to not wave if he feels so inclined. What I do fine offensive is his attitude towards the other generations. He seems to feel because he will soon own and drive the C7, all other generations are below him.
He really needs to forget buying a C7 and think about joining the BMW, Porsche or Ferrari group. They will most likely have the same attitude.
I attend a large Cars & Coffee every month with 300-400 cars in attendance and I find that everyone seems to talk with everyone else, except those in the European group. They all stand around and ignore those that are not in their mind one of the elite ones. So the OP sounds like he may fit that group much better then the Corvette community.
Thanks for proving my point. I am not buying this car to fit into a "group", i am not joining an elite club of select honored and distinguished individuals, i am buying a mass produced vehicle that i know i will love and thoroughly enjoy.

If you need to buy a Corvette to join a club and make new friends, so be it. I dont care as i already have family and friends who fill that need. I could care less to fit into this "group" you speak of. Being a member of this forum is good enough, i dont want to have to be on the lookout for the million other corvettes i see on a daily basis. If i waved to every corvette i see out here in SoCal, i will be attending one of those arthritis events sooner than later.

Enjoy your vette, and i will enjoy mine. Ill be too busy driving the crap out of it i wont be able to take a hand off the wheel to please your need for a wave back.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 AM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow some people need a time out

ps I will always wave and you wave if you want to
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Big Hammer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My attitude is I judge people not from what they buy but what they are.

People are important. What they drive is not -- 60 year history or not. Last I heard, Ford was older. Does every Ford owner wave at one another?
You don't want to wave? Don't. You are being a snob. Personally, I have, do and will "wave".
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I respect the OP's right to not wave if he feels so inclined. What I do fine offensive is his attitude towards the other generations. He seems to feel because he will soon own and drive the C7, all other generations are below him.
Yep. OP is pretty special. Jeep wrangler folks do the same thing. If you don't want to wave, don't. Simple as that. Personally however, if I see someone wave at me, I will wave back to acknowledge them....you know, like a normal person. This does not mean you have to go around and initiate waving at people. But come on man, if you see someone wave at you, don't be a d**k and throw up a hand.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 07-20-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I only wave to Mustangs.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

I'm surprised everyone in this thread is focusing on the wave and not the OP's disgust for any other Vette ever made.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:18 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by WhiteAndBlackC7
Thanks for proving my point. I am not buying this car to fit into a "group", i am not joining an elite club of select honored and distinguished individuals, i am buying a mass produced vehicle that i know i will love and thoroughly enjoy.

If you need to buy a Corvette to join a club and make new friends, so be it. I dont care as i already have family and friends who fill that need. I could care less to fit into this "group" you speak of. Being a member of this forum is good enough, i dont want to have to be on the lookout for the million other corvettes i see on a daily basis. If i waved to every corvette i see out here in SoCal, i will be attending one of those arthritis events sooner than later.

Enjoy your vette, and i will enjoy mine. Ill be too busy driving the crap out of it i wont be able to take a hand off the wheel to please your need for a wave back.
I did not mention anything about having to join a club to make new friends, I was simply saying that at this particular event, every one, no matter what they drive, get along and convers with one another except the elitist (or think they are) group. I really could care less if you wave or not. It is not about a special car, it is more about the tradition of the car. But you have fun and if I pass you on the road some day I will wave, and it will not disappoint me if you don't.

Get notified of new replies

To New C7 owners and "The Wave"

Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
I'm surprised everyone in this thread is focusing on the wave and not the OP's disgust for any other Vette ever made.
I did mention that exact point in my first post.,
I respect the OP's right to not wave if he feels so inclined. What I do fine offensive is his attitude towards the other generations. He seems to feel because he will soon own and drive the C7, all other generations are below him.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Ooops sorry BFW07, I missed it. Seems like we are the only ones that are miffed by his total disregard for the 60yrs of product that is the reason there is a C7.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Ooops sorry BFW07, I missed it. Seems like we are the only ones that are miffed by his total disregard for the 60yrs of product that is the reason there is a C7.
In post #35 I also pointed out all his trash talk about the other generations.....No doubt just a troll.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 07-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: New C7 owners and "The Wave"