Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Any updates on this??
Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

C5 Bolt on BBk's from Wilwood can use C6 Z51 /C6 ZO6 rotors, why waste time on C7 parts?

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...on=Grand+Sport

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...&axle=Rear+Kit

~$2k list for calipers front and rear, just add rotors of your choice. I'm sure a vendor like TCI or KNS could set you up with worthwhile discount.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:26 AM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

interesting conversation
I'm of the impression that the C7 caliper is the same as the Zr1 C6/ carbon calipers.
Im still looking for info to confirm that.
I will have a set of ZR1 Brembo calipers this week. I believe they will bolt up to a C5 spindle
I'm fitting them to a C3

Last edited by bfit; 05-02-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:20 AM
bfit
Pro

I'm wrong about the calipers being the Same as Zr1 , the mounting is completely different .
Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 AM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The reason I ask is because it would be a lot cheaper to get a used take-off C7 setup than a wilwood setup. The more money I spend on this car the less I have to spend on an open wheeled car. Currently shopping for a C6Z caliper setup and will match with some DBA rotors, but the goal is to keep it under $1,500... I would rather do a full Essex BBK, but then again I would rather not spend that kind of money since its not a dedicated race car Just trying to find cheaper alternative solutions is all.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:18 AM
C5Z4Me
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back for more C7 to C5 brake swap

Well its been a long time since I have posted on the subject of installing C7 brakes on a C5. I've had to shelve the project because I just have so many other priorities. As luck would have it, this week I have been given the opportunity to use the high tech digital scanning capability of my employer. This has been my goal all along. As I write this we are beginning the scanning process of the C7 and C5 knuckles. Once we have the scan data we can overlay the models in CAD and look at all of the dimensional differences in the two parts. If the geometries are totally different, I will know that the knuckles cannot be interchanged. This is way more precise than trying to put them on the car and determine if something is out of wack. If the knuckles won't interchange then I may still be able to use the dimensional data to modify the original knuckles or fabricate adapter brackets. There are a couple of options to explore. Apparently a lot of guys have asked this question in the last year and it doesn't look like they read my original posts in this thread. Maybe we will be able to put this subject to bed very soon. Stay tuned ....
The following 2 users liked this post by C5Z4Me:
blackdak318 (11-08-2019), bradleyss14 (12-08-2023)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:33 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

I've seen C5 brakes (and I guess that means C6 rotors and maybe calipers) even put on C4's. I'm sure there are some things that haven't changed.

One thing is certain they all have the same bolt pattern.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:04 PM
C5Z4Me
Heel & Toe

Default Update

Good news is, I have both the C7 front and rear knuckles digitally scanned now. I am hoping to do the C5 knuckles this week. Then the analysis begins. Should be interesting.

Originally Posted by C5Z4Me
Well its been a long time since I have posted on the subject of installing C7 brakes on a C5. I've had to shelve the project because I just have so many other priorities. As luck would have it, this week I have been given the opportunity to use the high tech digital scanning capability of my employer. This has been my goal all along. As I write this we are beginning the scanning process of the C7 and C5 knuckles. Once we have the scan data we can overlay the models in CAD and look at all of the dimensional differences in the two parts. If the geometries are totally different, I will know that the knuckles cannot be interchanged. This is way more precise than trying to put them on the car and determine if something is out of wack. If the knuckles won't interchange then I may still be able to use the dimensional data to modify the original knuckles or fabricate adapter brackets. There are a couple of options to explore. Apparently a lot of guys have asked this question in the last year and it doesn't look like they read my original posts in this thread. Maybe we will be able to put this subject to bed very soon. Stay tuned ....
The following 2 users liked this post by C5Z4Me:
Patches (10-09-2017), Tusc (05-02-2023)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Michael Jarvis
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took the front calipers, rotors, pads, and lines off of my 2016 C7 base with 5,000 miles. Would give you a great deal if you do want them. They are brembos, 4-piston, etc. Upgraded to the Wilwood big brake kit!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 PM
MILLER TIME
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved

I posted a question in the tech area to see if anyone else had figured it out and was directed to this thread. (thanks Rick T)

My intentions are to have a semi-complete offering available soon. What I will say is my solution will include the usage of the OEM C7 knuckle (w/modified steering arm/ball joint location to maintain your current steering geometry), OEM style e-brake assemblies to accommodate the C7 rotors, and your current hub bearing units so you retain the correct spline count and plug n play for abs/tc.

This offering will add ~1/8" to your front/rear track width per side. If needed (and for additional fee) could make necessary modifications to the knuckles to eliminate these positive track widths...

This modification would not be for everyone as it is not as simple as a couple caliper brackets however, what you will gain is a structurally more rigid knuckle (less deflection), and capability to run the OEM C7 brake packages. I guess you cannot rule out the cool factor either

Last edited by MILLER TIME; 10-10-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 AM
C5Z4Me
Heel & Toe

Default Parts

Thanks for the offer! I have a set of C7 Z51 calipers with about 5k mi on them so should be set. You shouldn't have any problems selling your parts though.

Originally Posted by Michael Jarvis
I just took the front calipers, rotors, pads, and lines off of my 2016 C7 base with 5,000 miles. Would give you a great deal if you do want them. They are brembos, 4-piston, etc. Upgraded to the Wilwood big brake kit!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM
C5Z4Me
Heel & Toe

Default Solved

Well its nice to see that someone else has invested some time and thought into solving this question. No doubt this is WAY beyond bolting on different parts or a couple of adapters. It sounds as though you intend to market a conversion kit of sorts. I can understand that.. as most don't understand the time and effort that solving this conundrum involves. I suppose you should be able to benefit from your work. I debated a lot about sharing the information that I have and still am not sure how much I will continue to share publicly even though I have no intention of profiting from it in the future.
A lot of people have asked "why on earth would you put any effort into installing C7 brakes when there are better bolt-on aftermarket options"? For me it was simply about improving the brakes at a reasonable cost, using readily available OEM parts, ... and the cool factor.
I would love to discuss some of the details with you but don't want to divulge anything that you may want to keep quiet. Let me know if that's an option.

Originally Posted by MILLER TIME
I posted a question in the tech area to see if anyone else had figured it out and was directed to this thread. (thanks Rick T)

My intentions are to have a semi-complete offering available soon. What I will say is my solution will include the usage of the OEM C7 knuckle (w/modified steering arm/ball joint location to maintain your current steering geometry), OEM style e-brake assemblies to accommodate the C7 rotors, and your current hub bearing units so you retain the correct spline count and plug n play for abs/tc.

This offering will add ~1/8" to your front/rear track width per side. If needed (and for additional fee) could make necessary modifications to the knuckles to eliminate these positive track widths...

This modification would not be for everyone as it is not as simple as a couple caliper brackets however, what you will gain is a structurally more rigid knuckle (less deflection), and capability to run the OEM C7 brake packages. I guess you cannot rule out the cool factor either
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (05-02-2023)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 AM
bfit
Pro

If you want better brakes on your c5/c6 go straight to the C6 ZR1 brakes.
they will bolt straight on no guess work, I would suggest C6 uprights as they are stronger.
I don't know how the ABS etc will like it but the brakes are better.

Last edited by bfit; 10-13-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:42 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Any update on this? Results of the scan?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:04 PM
hairymeister
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So what's happening with this? I've done C7 front parts on a C5/6 based cradle - It aligned fine and braked really, really well.

My boogeyman is the rear, but I think I may have a solution for it.

I want cheaper brakes on the C5 based suspension in my CJ2A.

I know it's an older thread, but still looking to get some details

Here's the front C7 knuckles and spindles on a sub frame made for C5/6 components. We went with big bear brakes for a C6, but I think we could use any CTSV, Camaro or C6+ Vette brakes.

I did make a thread too:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nd-brakes.html

Is this enough investment for you, C5Z4Me?
Attached Images      

Last edited by hairymeister; 06-15-2018 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (05-02-2023)
Old 06-15-2018, 12:30 PM
hairymeister
Racer

And yes, we cut the arms off and went with a stock length, bump steer corrected arm that bolts to the hubs.

Last edited by hairymeister; 06-15-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

sooo this doesn't apply to an actual c5 car :P that jeep looks might fancy haha

Get notified of new replies

To C7 brakes on C5/C6

Old 06-16-2018, 07:15 AM
hairymeister
Racer

Originally Posted by a_ahmed

I am not sure how you'd get that, but whatever.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:28 PM
hairymeister
Racer

So, I have all the same suspension mount points as a C5.

We got the front done. C7 upper and lower control arms, knuckles and Z51 brakes. C5 rack and pinion to the C7 knuckles.

Steering ratio and effort is the same. Yes, there is a longer steering arm on the C7 knuckle, but that is becuase they moved things around to get more tire on the front with more turn in radius.

The C7 arms are stronger lighter, too.

We did install the C7 rear knuckles on the stock c5 arms. I tapered the C7 knuckle deeper for the C5 toe control rod. I plan to run a C7 parking brake, rotor, caliper and a 33 spline z06 rear hub. You could use C5/C6 bushings in the upper rear arms to fit a C7 upper control arm into a C5. The lower C7 arms have narrower mount points and use larger bolts with a full alignment bolt set up on both sides of the arm.

More on this later, but also the Z51 rear calipers are the same as Camaro SS calipers I have.

Last edited by hairymeister; 06-28-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:31 PM
hairymeister
Racer

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
It sure does. Can do this on a C5/6 and get better control arms that are lighter and stronger plus get much better brakes that are more common.

What value did your response add to this thread?

Quick Reply: C7 brakes on C5/C6