Sponsored by:

C7 brakes on C5/C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM
blackdak318
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default C7 brakes on C5/C6

Seems like the base C7 brakes are pretty stout. I know it may be a little early but anyone have any idea if the mounting brackets on the C7 are in the same location as the C5 & C6? Seems like this could become a pretty popular upgrade for the C5's and base C6 models.

Popular Reply

03-29-2016, 12:18 PM
C5Z4Me
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C7 Brakes on C5

For anyone interested I continue to toss time and money down the rabbit hole. I am now in possession of a brand new set of C7 front and rear knuckles thanks to a great ebay deal. I am preparing to start the dimensional analysis to see what is possible. Perhaps the front knuckles can be retrofitted. At first glance the steering arm looks a little longer but not sure yet. If the geometry is close I'll attempt to install it and see where the caster,camber, toe, and track are at. The rear knuckle is nothing like the front. Instead of the steering arm there is a protruding boss for the tie rod link. The ball joint attachment point is a small taper pin of 6° so the C5 rods/joints won't work without modification. Custom tie rods are certainly possible. The knuckle could also be reamed to fit the standard ball joint but I don't want to modify the knuckles really. Using the rear knuckle also presents a real problem with the C5/6 parking brake. The tie rod boss blocks the access to the e-brake lever on the backing plate. I have considered using the C7 brake assembly and just making a custom cable that goes through the C7 knuckle as originally designed. That would allow the use of the stock C7 rear rotor.. a plus. Another option would be to use the front Knuckle in the rear as on the C5/6. It would need some work to acomodate a parking brake bracket but thats doable. It would also mean a custom bracket to mount the brake caliper. Well thats where I'm at.
I must say I am a little disappointed that no one is jumping in here. On most street rod boards there are tons of skilled designers, fabricators, mechanics, and machinists that are chomping at the bit to do something out of the ordinary and challenging. And they are typically happy to share their knowlege and experience, especially if it keeps someone from doing something stupid. So far I have only had one person offer any relevant information and that was very limited. Well I'll continue to be the guinnea pig and let those of you interested know what becomes of this. Not giving up yet ...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Edmunds said that was the biggest opportunity with the car, where did you read they were stout?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
Edmunds said that was the biggest opportunity with the car, where did you read they were stout?
Edmunds was off-base. They were hunting for something to be less than 100% positive about. They had been flogging the car on the track with street pads.

I don't need to "read" about them when I can look at the components used. They're using a massive Brembo caliper and nice slotted rotors with a light-weight center section. They're light-years ahead of the C6 Z06's PBR calipers with the silly thin padlets.

They'll be a fantastic upgrade for C5s and C6s assuming GM didn't change the caliper mount bolt spacing. My gut says they didn't change that... no need to.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Edmunds was off-base. They were hunting for something to be less than 100% positive about. They had been flogging the car on the track with street pads.

I don't need to "read" about them when I can look at the components used. They're using a massive Brembo caliper and nice slotted rotors with a light-weight center section. They're light-years ahead of the C6 Z06's PBR calipers with the silly thin padlets.

They'll be a fantastic upgrade for C5s and C6s assuming GM didn't change the caliper mount bolt spacing. My gut says they didn't change that... no need to.
The spindles look different. No way to measure from the pictures though:
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsocb
The spindles look different. No way to measure from the pictures though:
Spindles could be different but the brakes may still work on the C5/C6. It all depends on the caliper mounting points and the relative position of the C7 caliper to the rotor on a C5/C6.

Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

All new spindle and the lower hub/bearing bolt is still blocked by the lower balljoint nut! Hey guys... it'd be nice to be able to change hubs w/o having to separate the balljoint!
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (06-01-2023)
Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a LOT of the suspension and powertrain parts from the C7 can be easily transplanted to the C5 and C6. Why change the design if it isn't broken? It would also mean that a lot of Pratt & Miller's race parts can still be used, saving money and time developing the new chassis.

time will tell for sure...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Two different reviews that I read, have commented on less-than-optimal brake performance with the C7 Z51 in repeated stops. If I wanted to upgrade a C6, I wouldn't be looking at the C7 Z51.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Two different reviews that I read, have commented on less-than-optimal brake performance with the C7 Z51 in repeated stops. If I wanted to upgrade a C6, I wouldn't be looking at the C7 Z51.
Brake pad related. Edmunds was the only one mention it being a downside.

C/D said the pedal got soft but they did something like 6-7 straight 70-0 stops and their last one was the shortest. At 146ft on that last stop it was about where the Z06/Z07 was.

They look beefier than the C6Z units IMO and Brembo rarely if ever makes a bad product.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Then you have no idea how brakes work. Look at the component selection. They are light-years ahead of the silly slide-rail calipers on the C6 and better than the C6 Z06's calipers.

Take any iron-rotor car with a streetable pad (excluding carbon ceramic brakes) to the track and the pads will fade.

As someone who races a Corvette I can tell you the brakes are a huge upgrade.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:05 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Then you have no idea how brakes work. Look at the component selection. They are light-years ahead of the silly slide-rail calipers on the C6 and better than the C6 Z06's calipers.

Take any iron-rotor car with a streetable pad (excluding carbon ceramic brakes) to the track and the pads will fade.

As someone who races a Corvette I can tell you the brakes are a huge upgrade.
Huge
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

C7 brakes should be incredible on the track with just a pad swap.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM
blackdak318
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks guys. I haven't been reading all of the reviews because I can't afford a C7 and am perfectly happy with my C5Z. Like others mentioned though you can tell just from looking at the components that this would be a nice upgrade on a C5.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the spacing is the same. If someone has a car on order and would be willing to measure when it arrives that would be awesome.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:42 AM
LawDawg77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump...anyone done this yet?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 PM
RagingGrandpa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any successful C6Z to C7Z iron conversions yet?
Old 09-27-2015, 12:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The brake swap would be interesting to know.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:42 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

give the 5/6 has smaller wheels, not sure if the 7 calipers will fit, especially in the front.
If memory serves, the calipers on the 7 are somewhat larger than the 5/6.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 brakes on C5/C6

Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 AM
C5Z4Me
Heel & Toe

Default C7 brakes on C5

I have been patiently waiting for details to emerge on the possibility of fitting C7 Z51 brakes on the C5Z. Well tired of waiting ... I purchased a set of Z51 Brembo calipers this week and will begin the process of checking the fitment. The Z51 calipers are larger than the base model and use larger slotted dual cast rotors. They are light years ahead of the C5/C6 brakes. I was not interested in using the overpriced C6 ZO6 brakes either with the stupid expensive and difficult to change padlets. The C7 Z51 has a larger swept brake area anyway and the pad changes are a breeze. I have decided that even if the calipers don't bolt up I will make every effort to install them, including machining my own adapters. I plan to run 19/20 XO verona wheels which are designed to fit the C7 and will clear the brakes. Lots of other projects going but I'll post details as soon as I know something definitive.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:00 AM
C5Z4Me
Heel & Toe

Default The good, bad, and ugly

Questioning whether there is any good news to report. Curiosity was killing me so I took a few minutes last night and tried to see if the C7 Z51 front calipers would fit. Well, they bolt right up! Same spread on the bolt holes and same size thread. But don't get too excited. As some others have mentioned the location of the spindle caliper mounting holes are completely different on the C7. The C5 spindle mount ears are much farther out from the center point which places the caliper somewhere out in lunar orbit. Based on some rudimentary measurements the rotor radius would need to be about 1.125" larger than the stock rotor to reach the outer edge of the brake pads. That correlates to a rotor diameter of almost exactly 15" based on the stock Z rotor being 12.75" in diameter. I would have been happy to go up to a 14.6" rotor from the Camaro LT1 or CTS-V but 15" rotors are a little harder to come by. And they are expensive which violates the premise of a budget brake upgrade. My guess is that the caliper and brake pad radius might not work with a bigger rotor anyway. Only other option is to try to move the caliper back towards the center some. Moving out is easy, moving in, not so much. I will look at the geometry of the spindle and caliper mount ears and see if it is possible to machine an adapter but not getting my hopes up just yet. I'll also investigate the feasibility of a 15" rotor but not too hopeful there either. Not dead in the water yet but not the outcome I was hoping for. Still wondering if the 6 piston Brembo from the CTS-V or LT1 would fit. The Camaro guys are making this brake upgrade like crazy. Rumor is that the mounting locations are the same on the C5/6 but I don't know if anyone has tried it.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Is that mounted to a C5?

Quick Reply: C7 brakes on C5/C6