Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you pay for a 2012 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 248 Likes on 111 Posts

Really thought I was going to get a leftover 2013 427 vert. Have the money, prepared to pull the trigger. The more I learned about the C7, and now especially the looks of the C7, just can't do it. Going to wait a year for the 2015 vert. Had a C6Z and loved it, but the technology and looks are so dated with the intro of the C7, and can't beat the price/value of the C7.

Follow your heart and do what you want, only live once.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Get the C7. I have a GS and it's very nicely done with Lingenfelter supercharger package, but if I was buying, C7 for sure. C6 GS is a fabulous car, but the C7 is at least 20% better.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 PM
sundevilfan
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I would not even consider that car new. ....
Well said
Old 08-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the solid advice...not having owned a Vette before I knew I could get some great feedback from owners much more knowledgeable than myself...I was a little surprised when I opened the driver's door and being somewhat underwhelmed with the seat appearance and then when I sat down...the new seats in a C7 have to be better...
Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

1. Wrong color IMO
2. You can get a C7 for the same money which, looks aside, is a better all around car and more bang for buck
3. If you go with a C6, I would only consider a C6ZO7 or ZR1
Old 08-17-2013, 10:23 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jefff1
Test drove a brand new 2012 (not a misprint) Carlisle Blue GS this afternoon at a dealer in PA. 3LT package with black glass sunroof...painted calipers..6 speed manual...dual mode exhaust..chrome wheels..massive 325 rear tires....Pretty sharp looking out in the sunlight..Mrs. Lucky and I are going to Carlisle next weekend for the Corvette Show to do some homework on the new C7 colors and options as we've never owned a Vette before...but I have to admit this GS looks interesting...

Sticker $72k..they're asking $56....Thanks for any advice
Can't tell you which way to go. But I do know this, you'll lose far less to depreciation on that car, than if you pay at or close to full sticker price for a C7.

I also think any of the C6's are better looking cars. And their classic smooth lines will look good much longer than the more angular C7.

Though if I were you, I'd try to work him down some more.
Offer 51k. And he might split the difference or take it.

With C7 hype nearing it's peak as they are about to arrive at dealers,
there's probably no better time to buy a new C6 for less.

Last edited by 85scott; 08-17-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Dave Hopkins
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gthal
This happens to every car when a new generation comes out whether owners will admit it or not. It does NOT mean the older generation doesn't look beautiful... it just looks older. That doesn't matter to many people but to many it does. Personally, I don't know how they sell cars (any cars) in the last year or two of a generation. For example, I love the E92 M3 from a looks perspective but wouldn't buy one today unless there was a MASSIVE discount because when the new M3/M4 comes out, it will look old. Still great but now old.
Ask Viper owners if this statement is true. Not every new generation makes the last model look "old." I can't count the number of people who know nothing of vipers if my 2000 is "the new one." People that know vipers KNOW the Gen II (96-02) look much more aesthetic than the 2003-2010. At the Dream Cruise today on Woodward my viper was looking just fine next to the 2013 which is an absolutely beautiful car.

The same goes for the Nissan 350Z. That bodystyle is much better looking than the 370z and if you put both side by side; it would be hard to say which one is the "new model." But it would be easy to say which one looks better.

In Michigan I am afforded the privilege of seeing the C7 almost daily. I keep seeing a yellow one driving all over. It's definitely a great looking car. I would also agree it makes the C6 look dated. However the C6 GS and Z06 make the situation a bit more subjective since they are wide body cars with beefier tires.

To answer the specific question though, I would wait for the C7 then decide which car you want to buy; plus the C6 GS/Z06 will have further depreciated; especially with a new model out on the streets.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:49 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefff1
Thanks for all the solid advice...not having owned a Vette before I knew I could get some great feedback from owners much more knowledgeable than myself...I was a little surprised when I opened the driver's door and being somewhat underwhelmed with the seat appearance and then when I sat down...the new seats in a C7 have to be better...
Very much so, are the new seats better. It's been the biggest improvement according to a few of the reviewers. Some have said that the seats are as good as what Porsche uses and others have said they've never felt a more comfortable sports car seat.

My previous Corvettes have all had crappy seats other than the C4 I learned to drive on. Those C4 seats were actually very comfortable to me. The C7 seats are likely the best seats that have ever made it into a Corvette (including what has come from the aftermarket).

Many reviews from Corvette Forum members have also talked about how the seats are amazing. I'm very much jealous of these members since I've still yet to even see a C7 in person, let alone sit in one.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dozing4dollars
For the same money, I would buy a new C7..this coming from a guy that has a nearly new 2012 Coupe.

Even Tadge stated on video recently that " this car makes the C6 obsolete in almost every way" or similar words. Then he reminds the viewer that GM still has C6 cars to sell...oooops!

Take his word for it and buy the C7.
Well, except the only C7 you're going to find for that money is a "stripper.' Choices, choices....
Old 08-18-2013, 02:25 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I wonder if you would be getting the same responses if this was posted in the C6 forum lol
Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HummelS
Well, except the only C7 you're going to find for that money is a "stripper.' Choices, choices....
Incorrect. VERY incorrect, for that matter.

Base option-free C7 is 52K. The GS they're offering is 56K.

$56K is the cost of the C7 with either the Z51 package or the 2LT package. Picking either of those would hardly make the car a stripper since they both come with a LOT of features.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
I wonder if you would be getting the same responses if this was posted in the C6 forum lol
Mine would be
Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Next weekend in Carlisle I will get to see and feel the difference in the seats of a new C7...

I asked the salesman (nice guy and he loves snowmobiles too) if they were receiving any offers on the GS? He said once a month a guy from NYC calls to make an offer. I asked what his current offer was and he replied $47k...I said is he coming up a little every month? No...his offers are going down each time he calls...he started at $55k....A GS owner that I met at a big Cruise Night last Thursday told me about this car and dealer which is how I happened upon it yesterday...He said they had refused an offer initially on that car for $1500 under the list...I'm thinking they wished they had taken it as they don't stock Vettes and only order them when fellas come in and tell them what they want...the only thing they really knew about the car is a sentiment they both kept expressing...."this car needs a new home badly"
Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

C7 all the way, I wouldn't touch a C6 at this point.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 85scott
Can't tell you which way to go. But I do know this, you'll lose far less to depreciation on that car, than if you pay at or close to full sticker price for a C7.
Huh?? That's like thinking the LCD TV you bought five years ago for two grand that is now 400 has fared better in depreciation than an LED that was the same new three years ago and is now a thousand. You're saying that at the same price point the '12 will sell for more than the '14 at some time down the road because your personal taste sides with the older model. IMO it will be a long time before the C6 GS will reach collectible status and the C7 should be worth more.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman
Huh?? That's like thinking the LCD TV you bought five years ago for two grand that is now 400 has fared better in depreciation than an LED that was the same new three years ago and is now a thousand. You're saying that at the same price point the '12 will sell for more than the '14 at some time down the road because your personal taste sides with the older model. IMO it will be a long time before the C6 GS will reach collectible status and the C7 should be worth more.
Agreed... the logic is backwards. A new 2012 for $56 or a new 2014 for $56. 3 years from now, the 2012 is much older in model years and design and will be worth much less.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Agreed... the logic is backwards. A new 2012 for $56 or a new 2014 for $56. 3 years from now, the 2012 is much older in model years and design and will be worth much less.
I think 85scott was talking about percentage of return. The GS originally stickered for $72K and is $16K off. I don't believe that he meant the '12 would actually sell for more than the '14. But in reality percentage doesn't pay the mortage, it's the final dollar amount, and the '14 will always sell for more.

But as far as the offer on the '12. At 16K off sitcker that seems to be the norm. I believe this with heavy incentives from GM so the dealer themself probably still has a bit of room. I would offer 46 with 50 as cap. If they say no, then wait for the C7. However, I think for me, that would be a good enough deal to pull the trigger. The C6 will not be going 'out of fashion' that quick, it will be a little while before that happens. As it will also be awhile before the C7 is readily available w/o the pre-ordering hassle. So, to have the chance to drive a 'new' Corvette for $22 off sticker for a year or two, then trade up later might not be a bad thing.

Get notified of new replies

To What would you pay for a 2012 GS?

Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

The only C6 I would buy right now is the 427 Vert. but those are still expensive!

Like everyone else said, I wouldn't buy a C6, I would wait for the C7.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

There are forum dealers that are moving 2013s for the price you were quoted. I wouldn't buy a car that has been sitting on a lot that long. However, for that money I'd buy a C7
Old 08-18-2013, 10:41 AM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman
Sounds like you're the one letting personal taste cloud your opinion.

He's not saying the C6 will sell for more than a C7, he's saying that everyone who has got to have a C7 first will be taking a bath when they go to sell it because they paid sticker vs the C6 guy who is getting 16-20 grand off.

The C7 doesn't do it for me but if it did I still wouldn't pay sticker just to be the first on the block with it. It's bad enough when you buy a car at a discount and still get raped at trade in. I can only imagine what it's like when you pay sticker.

Quick Reply: What would you pay for a 2012 GS?