Sponsored by:

C7 Security System and Nav/Doppler Interface

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Thespian
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Default C7 Security System and Nav/Doppler Interface

Unless I have missed it, I have not heard any discussion (or threads) regarding the factory security system for the C7. I assumed it would be similar to my C6. However, I was at Carlisle this past Friday for a Q&A session and I heard Tadge answer a question from the audience regarding the security system. While I could not hear the question, Tadge clearly replied by stating that the security system was upgraded from the C6. He mentioned that there were sensors in the frame around the top of the windshield that would detect motion inside your car if you left the windows down, top off (Coupe) or down (Convertible). Unfortunately that was about all I was able to hear.

My first question... Does anyone have any detailed information on the C7 security system?

In addition, Tadge also mentioned that the navigation system can interface with Doppler Radar and route you around rain... how cool would that be! This seems really sophisticated.

My second question... Has anyone else heard anything more about this feature also?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Eagle3sh
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

In aviation it's called NEXRAD. It will cost you about $25 per month for the weather download unless its what we call ADSB but the unit is too cheap for that.. Not sure you can navigate around weather on the highway. It might keep you parked for a while if you are allergic to rain. Personally I see very little use for this in a car other than a novility. Yes we have it in our plane and I would not fly without it. It's been available in aviation applications for about 10 years.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle3sh
In aviation it's called NEXRAD. It will cost you about $25 per month for the weather download unless its what we call ADSB but the unit is too cheap for that.. Not sure you can navigate around weather on the highway. It might keep you parked for a while if you are allergic to rain. Personally I see very little use for this in a car other than a novility. Yes we have it in our plane and I would not fly without it. It's been available in aviation applications for about 10 years.
I think that GM is finally starting to admit that Corvettes melt in the rain.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Tom Hill told me the Doppler functionality is pretty amazing. Very cool.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 121 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

The Doppler principle has been used in burglar alarm devices for years. By itself it is reasonably reliable but prone to false alarms. In my C6 GS I have mine set to lock the doors when I walk away from the vehicle which I assume in turn activates the "alarm" system. With the addition of a Doppler motion sensor I wonder if it would be a good idea to activate the "alarm" system with the top off or down or windows open.

Sounds like battery drain here I come.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Weather Doppler.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 121 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

In addition to the motion sensor there is or will be an inclination sensor to detect if the orientation of the vehicle has changed. If you want to read more download the new owners manual from this thread.

2014 Owners Manual

Starts of page 2-16
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 PM
1986C4Z51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you get weather radar information from the internet that isn't at least 10 minutes old?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I have NEXRAD on my computer. You can get it for free but the scans for animation are short and there are lots of adds. I pay the fee for about a 6 hour animation scan and no ads but I think it's only about $15 per year. I use the weather bug on my droid, maybe it will transfer over like Pandora will.
Originally Posted by Eagle3sh

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Security System and Nav/Doppler Interface

Quick Reply: C7 Security System and Nav/Doppler Interface