Sponsored by:

Edmunds C7 vs 911 comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I think everyone has a bias. Everyone. Everyone has a favourite that speaks to them somehow. IMO, given the comments the reviewer made about the Corvette and its ability (steering, performance, etc) and even the tone suggests the C7 had an uphill battle in this comparison. Even his comments about the C7 being better in performance seemed difficult for him to make... that is, he didn't want to have to say it.

I give him credit for at least recognizing and acknowledging his pro-Porsche bias. That takes true character and honesty.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by rcallen484
I give him credit for at least recognizing and acknowledging his pro-Porsche bias. That takes true character and honesty.
Indeed. Additionally, this article tries to convey the intangible differences between the two vehicles- not an easy feat.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:19 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
This!!! Everyone talks about options on one vs the other yet the MT vs PDK will not give the same results as AT vs PDK. Lets see what THAT review says. My bet is that the C7 with an AT will not fare nearly as well as the MT and if history is a good guide, 60-70% of all vettes sold will be AT.
Lets really level the review playground.
Good idea. Lets first level the playing field in a meaningfull way by comparing a $60,000 C7 with a $60,000 Porsche. How do you think those performance # comparrisons will go. Hint, very, very, badly for Porsche. I just love how the import loving car magazines compare reasonably priced Corvettes with $150,000-$200,000 imports, stupid.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:22 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by drmustang
Good idea. Lets first level the playing field in a meaningfull way by comparing a $60,000 C7 with a $60,000 Porsche. How do you think those performance # comparrisons will go. Hint, very, very, badly for Porsche. I just love how the import loving car magazines compare reasonably priced Corvettes with $150,000-$200,000 imports, stupid.
But us Corvette guys LOVE hearing how our baby performs at their level, and sometimes even higher!!! Come on, admit it
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

The real question to me is "if you had $160k to buy a sports car, would you buy the 911 or by the Corvette and keep the difference?" Me, I would by the Corvette and keep the difference. Moreover, if I had so much money that the amount left over wasn't very important in my decision process, I would probably spend more and get the Ferrari 458 or the McLaren 12C.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by C7ZR1forT
The real question to me is "if you had $160k to buy a sports car, would you buy the 911 or by the Corvette and keep the difference?" Me, I would by the Corvette and keep the difference. Moreover, if I had so much money that the amount left over wasn't very important in my decision process, I would probably spend more and get the Ferrari 458 or the McLaren 12C.
How about the sap who bends over @ $145,000 for a 911S! Kinda like paying 50 bucks for a ham sandwich. It might be satisfying but stupidly over priced.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not getting a new 458 for $160k. It's more like $280k with typical options.

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I don't know why "hand made" is an advantage. In today's day and age, a machine that is designed to do the same thing a human can do will do a better job than any human 99% of the time.
How many modern Fords, Lexuses, Hyundais, or Corvettes do you hear about spontaneously combusting around town? How about Ferraris or Lambos? And which of them has more cars on the road?
And you don't hear much about Porsches spontaneously combusting around town either. Meaning they've hit a balance of "hand made" combined with tight quality control.
It's just a preference thing. Some people like to know that other humans have put together their cars with care, with a level of passion that isn't present elsewhere. That's part of the reason why people will spend 10's of thousands on a timepiece with a mechanical movement, with tiny components finished and engraved by hand. A similar piece might be thrown together by machines or workers barely able to feed themselves in China for much less, and without the attention to finishing detail, but that's not something they want.

How many C7 to 911 comparisons have there been thus far? This is the only one I know of.
But the fact that the 911 always wins sort of goes along with what SCM and I have always been saying about these mags and comparisons to the germans.
Maybe he's talking about the totality of historical comparisons. For which there are some examples of the Corvette beating the Germans:
  • C&D rated the C4 ZR1 higher than the 911 Turbo
  • R&T*, C&D, and Automobile Magazine all rated the C6 higher than the 997 when both were first released
  • C&D rated the C6 convertible higher than every competitor (including Germans) in one test
So claims of bias by SCM fail miserably. It's just sour grapes.
*R&T did rate the C6 highest on points, but when asked which one they enjoyed driving more or which they'd rather own, the 911 and Boxster S were clear favorites.
Note that these are all American tests. The Brits and Germans see things very differently. The Brits and Americans placed the Ford GT at the top of the import heap in head to head comparos, so you can't claim there's a bias against American products.

As you said yourself, there are things the Corvette offers that the Porsche does not, too. Like the brutishness you talk about above, which is certainly an advantage for a lot of people in this segment. I think you can probably name one such C7 advantage for just about every equivalent advantage the Porsche has. Some based on preference, some not so much.
Brutishness can be offset by refinement, so the score is back to zero on that front.
How about:
Ability to carry 3x's as many passengers as the Corvette (yes, short people and children count as people too)
Outward vision
Higher quality interior, with customization options outside of any GM product
Better customer service
Safety and convenience items like dynamic cornering lights, headlamp washers, rear wiper, parking sensors, built-in roof rack mounts, available front end lift kit for clearing speed bumps, etc.

Now, I know you're probably going to say those things don't matter to you. But those are objectively things that the Porsche has and the Corvette doesn't. That they don't matter to you does not mean they don't matter to other people with the means and willingness to pay.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redzone
As I'm sure you know,the "Streets of Willow" is a short,technical track. At Laguna Seca,VIR, or any longer track I bet the C7 is 5 or more seconds faster than the 911.
These two cars are not within the same world of performance. If that is important to a buyer.......
As mentioned, you really can't compare a factory test pilot's time against a magazine editor who has only a short period to get used to a dozen cars. 5 seconds faster at Laguna Seca? The Carrera S lapped in 1:39.4. 5 seconds faster would mean the C7 laps in ~1:34.4. That's faster than the ZR1, faster than the Viper ACR on Cups, and the same time as the Z07 on Cup tires. Are you sure that's a bet you want to take?
To most buyers in the 911's segment, that is not important.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Well this sucks....

The Daily Grind
Chevy moved mountains in improving the Corvette's interior, but there's still a vast gap between these cars in quality. Everything you touch in the 911 is laser-micrometer precise and right-now responsive. The differences matter. In the 911 you move and it moves with you. In the Stingray you punch the touchscreen twice and wait. You step cleanly into the 911. You descend into, over and around the Corvette. And on a hot day, the 911 smells like leather. The Corvette smells like chemicals.
The Vette tested is a pre-production car. Who knows how much of this has been addressed in production cars, time will tell
Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Don't get me wrong!!

But the C7 performance wise, is no better than my 2003 Z06.

Yes, the interior is way better, electronics, and ride control, but is amazing that after 2 generations of Vettes, 10 years, the C5 Z06 is still in the performance equation.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

How about the sap who bends over @ $145,000 for a 911S! Kinda like paying 50 bucks for a ham sandwich. It might be satisfying but stupidly over priced.
But, you know, the 0.1%'ers will pay $50 for that ham sandwich and not even notice it. They might actually prefer that fine Corinthian ham.

If money is truly no object, we all know that there is no such thing as a stupid purchase (except perhaps a call girl with a social disease). Clearly, if you have more money than time to spend it, the Porsche 911 is in no way a "stupid" purchase. Just a choice...

And if they sell enough of them that their profit is maximized at the price point they set, then no way is Porsche over-pricing their vehicles. Just pricing a lot of folks out of being able to get one...
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by v26278
The Vette tested is a pre-production car. Who knows how much of this has been addressed in production cars, time will tell
Is it possible to overbuild stuff? Would a solid gold toilet have any advantages?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jdb1218
The fact you would even want to compare a $149K car to a $69K says a lot...about both cars.
This is exactly what Viper owners said after the snake lost to the SLS Black Series.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

[QUOTE=Guibo;1584877025]You're not getting a new 458 for $160k. It's more like $280k with typical options.

I know. That is why I said "spend more"...
Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

I know. That is why I said "spend more"...
Ok, fair point. Just noting that it's not only a small step between a 911 and a 458. Between the $70k Corvette and the $280k Ferrari, would you still buy the Corvette and keep the difference?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM
raj
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsches have always been exemplary at doing "more with less". Case in point is the 911's superior acceleration despite a significant 60 horsepower deficit. Yes, the 911 is lighter but the C7 still has the better power-to-weight ratio on paper - only its doesn't translate to the drag strip (note the 911's higher trap speed as well). Conceding the 911 its superiority of putting power to pavement, Corvette engineers have done a remarkable job with the 3rd generation MSRC and PTM which is evident in the C7's performance edge on the race track.

Get notified of new replies

To Edmunds C7 vs 911 comparison test

Old 09-09-2013, 02:02 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I think we all know what the reviews would reflect if the reviewer had to actually pay for the cars being tested. I'm sure there's a few options they wouldn't check on their order forms.

Maybe reviews should all start with the price difference in the glove compartment. Maybe it would look more like this:

"Well on a hot day the Porsche smelled like leather and the Corvette smelled like the spare $74000 in the glove box."

Old 09-09-2013, 02:09 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by raj
Porsches have always been exemplary at doing "more with less". Case in point is the 911's superior acceleration despite a significant 60 horsepower deficit. Yes, the 911 is lighter but the C7 still has the better power-to-weight ratio on paper - only its doesn't translate to the drag strip (note the 911's higher trap speed as well). Conceding the 911 its superiority of putting power to pavement, Corvette engineers have done a remarkable job with the 3rd generation MSRC and PTM which is evident in the C7's performance edge on the race track.
Although there are many factors, the acceleration advantage is largely due to the placement of the engine in the 911. This placement is not advantageous to cornering. It's simple physics. I do applaud the engineering that Porsche is able to apply to get around this problem, but nonetheless I would not trade the drivetrain layout of the C7 to get the acceleration times of the 911.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I actually like the fact the 7 is being compared against the 911. The Corvette and Porsches are already different machines - apples/oranges - given their architectural layouts. It would be even more disparate - apple/oranges - comparing the 7 against a Boxster.

To me, I like that they are comparing the 7 to a Porsche that has very, very similar performance. Once you bring the performance envelopes close together, you can have a nice (read closer) compare/contrast b/n the two of their other attributes, and each one does a couple things or offers a couple things the other doesn't, or does them better.

It speaks well of the 7 that it compares well to the 911.

Quick Reply: Edmunds C7 vs 911 comparison test