Sponsored by:

Dealers and markups

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 PM
TheVetteski
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
You gotta be a idiot to pay over sticker, and there is a bunch of idiots around with more money then brains
It is probably their brains that earned them to money to not worry about paying an extra few bucks for the luxury of having what they want, when they want it... frankly I wish I could... YOLO!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVetteski
It is probably their brains that earned them to money to not worry about paying an extra few bucks for the luxury of having what they want, when they want it... frankly I wish I could... YOLO!

Not much different than buying a $200k+ Mecedes S65 and selling it a year later for $160K taking a 40K+ bath. Drop in the bucket for some people.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
You REALLY don't think some salesman don't compete with some others to see who can generate the highest commission?
I have no doubt some a..h...s compete with other a..h...s to see who can be the biggest a..h.., but they work for a scumbag dealership that encourages it....
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by trends2000
Just spoke with a sales rep from a local dealer in Northern Virginia to get an idea of C7 showroom arrivals as I missed Carlisle. He went into a "well, the first deliveries will be here by end of year' I said:"when?" He said: "end of year but those are going to the customers WHO PAID A $15,000 MARKUP If you want STICKER, it will be next spring or summer" !!!
Those of you who have said to wait ... I wanted to be among the first but you were right. Why volunteer to get raped? My C6 is up for sale but now I'll definitely buy a late model C6 GS ... not at a dealer ... and then C7 when the buyers stop giving dealers the idea that they can pillage their customers. I'm a capitalist in a biz where others do routine markups even if they know the price is already high. I don't. There's profit and then there's greed.
The C7 is amazing ... I'll get one but from a dealer who isn't out to gouge me. This dealership is known for doing it. NO SALE with me but sadly, others buy into the "I can afford it the extra $15K". Their choice ... Of course, many are simply turning their allocation into a profit center ! Take a $60,000 car and some will be paying $85K+ !! Anyway, you guys who said to wait because of what many dealers will do were right on target ... Compliments to dealers who are NOT doing this stuff ... you'll get the rest of us !
Now, this may come as a complete and utter shock, but the salesperson that told you they already sold C7s for $15k over MSRP is probably FOS.

That is nothing more than a PLOY to get buyers to start thinking that other buyers paid that much for the car. A car salesman will do anything and say anything they need to make as much money as they can.

I know the hush will come from the crowd now, but brace yourself...................Some car salesmen will go so far as to lie.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by VThokies
I too have been disappointed by my dealer, they have 49 coming but will sell them over MSRP. They gave me a deal on my C6, and I was expecting MSRP on the C7, but this is not the case. So I am looking for a dealer to work with in my area. Anyone know of a dealer in the South Carolina area that will sell for MSRP? I will trade my C6, so it will need to be a dealer close to by. Thanks.
They don't have a crystal ball so they can't predict how many, if any of the C7s will sell for over MSRP.

If I was there I would have, chuckled, corrected them and said, "You mean you WANT to sell all of them over MSRP? I'll be back when you have to start advertising some of the same 49 cars under MSRP. See you then."

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 09-10-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
You gotta be a idiot to pay over sticker, and there is a bunch of idiots around with more money then brains
Sometimes I will wait for a deal but have paid just under MSRP for a few vehicles, as well as gotten huge discounts on others. By averaging them out my mind is at ease and I'm happy. That said, I am fairly certain that at least as far as purchases go I am not "A IDIOT" with "more money THEN brains" and will not embarrass myself while filling out the paperwork.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:26 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I really wonder if some of their 'mark up' talk is to try and get some of the current inventory sold. You know the old, "yeah the new one is great and in such high demand, that we have to mark them up. But, we can get you a terrific deal on this 2013 Grand Sport and you can drive it home today"

Either way, I think I would just tell the salesperson simply something like this, "You and I both know that some folks are going to pay that mark up, and I don't blame you for doing it. But I'm not one of those people, so do you want to sell me the car or not?" and leave it right there.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I really wonder if some of their 'mark up' talk is to try and get some of the current inventory sold. You know the old, "yeah the new one is great and in such high demand, that we have to mark them up. But, we can get you a terrific deal on this 2013 Grand Sport and you can drive it home today"

Either way, I think I would just tell the salesperson simply something like this, "You and I both know that some folks are going to pay that mark up, and I don't blame you for doing it. But I'm not one of those people, so do you want to sell me the car or not?" and leave it right there.
You make some very good points. When the new Viper had just hit the first magazines I headed over to the big volume Chrysler dealer wanting to see one. Upon arrival the salesman said with a big grin, "No, we don't have one but we just sold our first one for 230 thousand." He then proceeded to usher me toward the other various SRTs. A bird in the hand...

Last edited by DanTheFireman; 09-10-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: lack of coffee
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 952 Likes on 499 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses

EXCELLENT point...I see no reason to get in a huff. It's not right but MAYBE if you were in their position, you would do the same - possibly....the lure of a Saudi sheik walking in and thinking nothing of the markup does leave the 10K in your pocket and hes' fine with it.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
EXCELLENT point...I see no reason to get in a huff. It's not right but MAYBE if you were in their position, you would do the same - possibly....the lure of a Saudi sheik walking in and thinking nothing of the markup does leave the 10K in your pocket and hes' fine with it.
It's a new and exciting car. I can understand folks want to have it now, and so do the dealerships. So, they mark up the "hot new item". Some buyers are just excited and want it, or some really want to be 'the first'. About 10% of people that go into dealerships never even so much as question the asking price. They just see it as a price tag, or more often than not are more concerned with the monthly payment and at the end of the deal don't even ask how much the car actually was. But Corvettes are a little different, but the same principle applies. Many people will just go in and not question the mark up, heck some may even just think it's GM asking for it, not knowing it's just the dealer, who can charge it or not charge it. Me, I can think of alot of better things to do with 10 grand than to simply line a dealer's pocket with it. That's just money for nothin' in my book.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Many cars sell for over MSRP. There are folks who pay so why not make the money? I've asked this before.......... If your trade is worth say $20K and the dealer offers for $25K you going to say no it's too much???

In is a free economy and we can shop.

I got a good deal under MSRP and it sort of fell into my lap.

Call around or wait.......... discounts are not too far out for everyone.

Hell this mid east thing goes south........ we'll all be shopping for pintos!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

If the dealer asks retail (MSRP) than the customer should get retail on the trade. The amount of out money is what is important. I have that figure already in my mind, I really don't care how the dealer arrives at it.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen e
a very sane post....not all of us think like members here. My dealer is asking 10k over sticker. I told him of course I would not pay it and he understood. I was not outraged at all, it's been eons since Chev dealers have had anything that has waiting lists....

He's just trying to catch the "early adopters" that will pay it. And there are plenty in S Florida. His first 3 went to sheiks in Dubai that have mansions in the Keys and could give a damn less how much it costs. I respect that.

I just went down the road and found two other dealers that will do straight MSRP....and he understood....
What is the actual mechanism of guarantee that when your car comes in and is stting there that you will get it for MSRP? A dealer near me told me when I said I won't pay over MSRP that there was a "large possibility" it would be at MSRP. I laughed and said it either is or isn't and I want commitment prior to ordering.

I am not sure exactly how you get that gaurantee so that they don't have you waiting for 3 months and then change their minds as market demands fluctuate, then have a nice new price when your specifically ordered car comes in.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 952 Likes on 499 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks
What is the actual mechanism of guarantee that when your car comes in and is stting there that you will get it for MSRP? A dealer near me told me when I said I won't pay over MSRP that there was a "large possibility" it would be at MSRP. I laughed and said it either is or isn't and I want commitment prior to ordering.

I am not sure exactly how you get that gaurantee so that they don't have you waiting for 3 months and then change their minds as market demands fluctuate, then have a nice new price when your specifically ordered car comes in.
a signed buyers order by the sales manager at the time of ordering is the usual procedure...
Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ
Now, this may come as a complete and utter shock, but the salesperson that told you they already sold C7s for $15k over MSRP is probably FOS.

That is nothing more than a PLOY to get buyers to start thinking that other buyers paid that much for the car. A car salesman will do anything and say anything they need to make as much money as they can.

I know the hush will come from the crowd now, but brace yourself...................Some car salesmen will go so far as to lie.
And this may come as a shock to you, but so do some buyers.... A buyer will often do and say anything to pay as little money as they can... Not sure why we have a problem with one, but not the other....

And before anyone jumps up and says that they have never lied during a car purchase, I didn't say all do, just that many do, and the same applies to salespeople, I suspect..
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan
And this may come as a shock to you, but so do some buyers.... A buyer will often do and say anything to pay as little money as they can... Not sure why we have a problem with one, but not the other....

And before anyone jumps up and says that they have never lied during a car purchase, I didn't say all do, just that many do, and the same applies to salespeople, I suspect..
That comes as absolutely no shock whatsoever to me or anyone else.

However, the salesperson is the professional in the scenario and should be held to the higher standards.

I've lied as a buyer, but am an Account Manager (sales/service) by profession, and never lie to my accounts.

For me, the car salespeople can lie all they want, as I take everything (and I mean everything) they say with a grain of salt. Although that doesn't necessarily make it right, especially for the buyers that can't see through their BS.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 09-10-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ

The Audacity!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Dealers and markups

Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

I have two dealers here in town that I have talked to. One said there was a "great possibility" I could get one at MSRP, which is sales code for I've got a nibble! Let's be careful, he might get away or let's see how much of my time they can waste. The other one said "My manager says we will be selling for over MSRP. So, Mr. Starbucks, how much over MSRP are you willing to pay?" I said, well....let me think....exactly zero dollars over MSRP. Thank you.

I think most dealers are nearing the end of the 2013 allocations and have ordered by now. I, sadly, was not amongst you lucky folks who have them on order in some stage of production.

I do have a question about next year (2014). Will the allocations continue or not? If I wanted a car around April-May, so I can do the museum delivery and it not be in winter, how would I go about that?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks
I have two dealers here in town that I have talked to. One said there was a "great possibility" I could get one at MSRP, which is sales code for I've got a nibble! Let's be careful, he might get away or let's see how much of my time they can waste.
"Great possibility"? Where do these car dealers come up with this stuff.

So, is that slightly worse than a "Low probability", or somewhere in between "Potentially viable" and "In all likelihood"?

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 09-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think once the dealer gets a Corvette on his show room floor the price will go up. They will just put a higher price on it and use it to draw in traffic. Someone will over time pay that price. So the dealer gets a good profit and people in the door. Watch Ebay prices go sky high and have a snow ball effect . We need to be glad we ordered our cars and paid @ or below MSRP.

Quick Reply: Dealers and markups