Sponsored by:

C7 Auto Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

In my opinion the 8 speed vs 6 speed auto is just a matter of more is better or new is better. I have driven the C5 four speed auto and never missed having two more gears. I assume I will drive my 6 speed auto and never miss two extra gears. ..when the eight speed comes out, and it will come out, you will hear a bunch of " I do not want to be the test monkey on the new trans". LOL. I plan on driving my new Stingray. If your car is quicker then mine I am ok with that.. What are a few hundreds of a second to sixty worth to you?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
In my opinion the 8 speed vs 6 speed auto is just a matter of more is better or new is better. I have driven the C5 four speed auto and never missed having two more gears. I assume I will drive my 6 speed auto and never miss two extra gears. ..when the eight speed comes out, and it will come out, you will hear a bunch of " I do not want to be the test monkey on the new trans". LOL. I plan on driving my new Stingray. If your car is quicker then mine I am ok with that.. What are a few hundreds of a second to sixty worth to you?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 AM
post-it
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bill, you are now sitting at 3400, it wont't be long now.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shaka
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by post-it
Hey Bill, you are now sitting at 3400, it wont't be long now.
Boy am I going to miss all the angst. So many people so concerned when their cars will arrive..it has been fun to read the post.the good news is we will see the forum members cars and the new avatars that will go with them. I am looking forward to the many interesting vanity plates. Not made up my mind yet but I am sure not going to tell anyone in Pa what I am thinking...
Old 09-15-2013, 09:03 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Finally watched the videos. I guess I did have it completely wrong. Thanks for the info.
Just to clarify, what transmission does the new c7 have?
The C7 has an improved version of the A6 auto ( not dual clutch) that has been in the C6 since 2006( dramatically improved since 2006, which was a POS except for cruising around like a Caddy).
Old 09-15-2013, 09:21 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
The C7 has an improved version of the A6 auto ( not dual clutch) that has been in the C6 since 2006( dramatically improved since 2006, which was a POS except for cruising around like a Caddy).
It has not changed from the 2013 model. I have not found any information that says it is radically different from the 2013 version. You people that think it may be OK need to go drive a Porsche 911S with the PDK. Really. Then drive the C7 with the A6. If you think its OK then you must have low expectations and GM appreciates that. I would not be so vocal about this otherwise.

Last edited by b4i4getit; 09-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 AM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

F1 cars seem to do pretty well with it. People don't understand that a DCT only uses one clutch pack at a time so you are lugging a heavy clutch and it's shaft around for no gain. Weight is the enemy in sports car design.
Better sell you PDK or DCT car before the warranty expires. The resale value of those cars will plummet.
READ MY LIPS, you will never see this contraption in a Vette.
Lexus did it the right way for a high performance car.
Corvette has something up it's sleeve. Z06 sales were low because the was no auto option.

I just simply laugh at your repeated posts and so called "facts". You even say they are "rumors" and then propose that we would believe those to be "facts". Saying you have "strong opinions" is to put it mildly and nicely.

450K Lexus did it right? Thats why relatively, especially for the money, they are SLOW. And I am a huge Toyota fan. This car was a farce to begin with, took YEARS to bring it to market, and you bring it up as a reference? Laughable at best bud.

You said DCT is a dinosaur in essence? Resales will go down on Porsches etc? Pure crap dude. You obviously know everything and Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Nissan, and even Dodge and even lowly Mitsu and all the others are just severely misinformed? Ridiculous to say the least. Keep wishing.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
I just simply laugh at your repeated posts and so called "facts". You even say they are "rumors" and then propose that we would believe those to be "facts". Saying you have "strong opinions" is to put it mildly and nicely.

450K Lexus did it right? Thats why relatively, especially for the money, they are SLOW. And I am a huge Toyota fan. This car was a farce to begin with, took YEARS to bring it to market, and you bring it up as a reference? Laughable at best bud.

You said DCT is a dinosaur in essence? Resales will go down on Porsches etc? Pure crap dude. You obviously know everything and Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Nissan, and even Dodge and even lowly Mitsu and all the others are just severely misinformed? Ridiculous to say the least. Keep wishing.
Unlike your comments, my conjecture is educated.
To prove it, submit a sketch or describe exactly how you will design a DCT for a Vette? Jalopnik says GM is working with ZF in a A8 design, makes sense to me. Name the high performance cars that use this tranny already? How many 5 year old BMWs DCT do you see driving around? How many high mileage Ferraris do you see at the track?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:39 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

To prove it, submit a sketch or describe exactly how you will design a DCT for a Vette? Jalopnik says GM is working with ZF in a A8 design, makes sense to me. Name the high performance cars that use this tranny already? How many 5 year old BMWs DCT do you see driving around? How many high mileage Ferraris do you see at the track?
Calm down guys. Whatever GM calls their next transmision - DCT, A8, ABC, XYZ lets just all agree the A6 has to be put out to pasture.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

b4i4getit:Calm down guys. Whatever GM calls their next transmision - DCT, A8, ABC, XYZ lets just all agree the A6 has to be put out to pasture.
Well, until it is I'll continue to live with mine.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Well, here is one, http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ns-and-prices/
And that car, with a DCT (PDK) just set a record on the Nordschleife , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc9UU...ature=youtu.be

Might be time to update your conjecture education.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Well, here is one, http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...ns-and-prices/
And that car, with a DCT (PDK) just set a record on the Nordschleife , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc9UU...ature=youtu.be

Might be time to update your conjecture education.
Where is your sketch or dwg of the Vette DCT? Also, if your comprehension was sound, you would have provided the names of the high performance cars that had A8s and not DCT.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Where is your sketch or dwg of the Vette DCT? Also, if your comprehension was sound, you would have provided the names of the high performance cars that had A8s and not DCT.
Please note that I just answered what I highlighted in red, not the rest.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Please note that I just answered what I highlighted in red, not the rest.
I rest my case.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

I rest my case.
Based on one answer to one small part of your post? Okay.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Shaka,
Thank you for taking the time to post these links and explain the different transmission options out there, I did not have a clue as to what the differences and benefits were.
Now I at least can follow the thread

Gonzo
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM
post-it
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Boy am I going to miss all the angst. So many people so concerned when their cars will arrive..it has been fun to read the post.the good news is we will see the forum members cars and the new avatars that will go with them. I am looking forward to the many interesting vanity plates. Not made up my mind yet but I am sure not going to tell anyone in Pa what I am thinking...
Hey Bill, I already got C VII from Pa. I remember way back when you ordered yours from Mike Furman, he is a great guy from all aspects, not just a car salesman. I ordered mine from my local dealer, it was very cold back then. Seems like a long time ago. I am also sitting at 3400, I bet we get them the same week. Good luck with your new ride.

Quick Reply: C7 Auto Tranny