Sponsored by:

C7 Bose noise cancelling feature

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

And here is where another GM division is heading with audio/sound management: http://m.digitaltrends.com/cars/all-...logy-of-sound/
Old 09-14-2013, 04:54 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEciiBel
The deliberate introduction of distortion in the synchrony of the volume, the departure from a flat response across the entire bandwidth of a signal, may be appalling...

Noises that you may hate, tire roar f'rinstance, may balloon instead of being swallowed. Your conscious self may be able to ignore this but nothing is ever completely ignored. They call it listening fatigue...

Ramping up the volume is a freaking kludge no matter how specifically you apply it.
In other venues where this has been attempted or simply used as an audio effect, it's been called 'frequency dependent compression.' The ultimate result is lowered dynamic range, which kind of defeats the purpose of why we went digital in the first place.

At any rate, any kind of signal compression (analog context, not digital) contributes heavily to listening fatigue. If you're not sure what we're referring to in listening fatigue or analog compression - it's the same technology and phenom that makes commercials sound louder than title program material on TV. And DEciiBel is absolutely correct (as expected) that the potential for the overall perceived sound in the cabin overall to become more fatiguing and even annoying by ultimately raising the offending frequencies, music or otherwise.

My point here is not to bash the system but instead to raise awareness and provoke questions. At the end of the day, it's all subjective and you'll be able to make your own choices soon as the cars are all but on their way. (That's exciting stuff right there!)
Old 09-14-2013, 05:29 PM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All ys had to do wuz take the batry out of yeer herin ade!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
And here is where another GM division is heading with audio/sound management: http://m.digitaltrends.com/cars/all-...logy-of-sound/
Please tell me the Corvette team is not going down thise road of "pumping" engine sound into the car through the audio or other system. That's just stupid, and it sounds fake. We don't need more fake garbage on the cars.

If the manufacturers feel the need to do this, then they need a better sounding engine and mufflers.

Michael
Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Please tell me the Corvette team is not going down thise road of "pumping" engine sound into the car through the audio or other system. That's just stupid, and it sounds fake. We don't need more fake garbage on the cars.

If the manufacturers feel the need to do this, then they need a better sounding engine and mufflers.

Michael
I agree completely Michael. We don't need the modern version of a playing card hitting bicycle wheel spokes. I think the C7 is safe from this audio enhanced engine sound effect.

This engine sound voodoo and the probable one year only use of the Aisin 8 speed auto has me rethinking replacing my 08 CTS with a new CTS V-Sport and looking at BMW instead.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

They don't pump sound in to be corny, they do it because the engine sound is so muted due to sound deadening hat it is hard to hear when shifting and racing. Porsces and M5’s do it too and they don't need corny crap.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Spulbus2013
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Bose is using the same tech they have been for years now and honestly I don't know why more Manufactures don't implement sound cancelation tech. Now about pumping the engine and exhaust tones through the audio system I will say that's a negative bravo leader, do not want!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Spulbus2013
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
They don't pump sound in to be corny, they do it because the engine sound is so muted due to sound deadening hat it is hard to hear when shifting and racing. Porsces and M5’s do it too and they don't need corny crap.
The M5 has been laughed at for doing this by tons of people, Just cause BMW does something doesn't mean we should follow as some ideas are best L4D! HAHAHA!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:44 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
is this on all the BOSE or only the upgraded 2LT and 3LT?
Maybe it just comes with the upgraded stereo which is only offered on the 2 and 3.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Mike S
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, if my wife is talking to me while I am..........
Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too, hope they didn't try to compensate by amplifying specific frequency bands. Cancellation, even in a physically static environment like a car is precarious at best and at worst you can get standing waves that could effectively double the noise you are trying to cancel. Cars, especially loud, light weight cars are a pretty harsh environment if you want all of the dynamic range subtleties and frequency range to come through. The best environment to get those is a quiet environment, not a Corvette or Ferrari. I just hope they didn't F it up by being clever.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
You know what they are pumping in? The sound from the intake. That won't help you at light load, which is where you would need it most based on your statement about sound deadening.

The Mustang GT has this, too, and it sounds really fake. I yanked it off, and it sounded better without it. I've heard the 911's, and it sounds just as fake.

No thank you to this cornball cr@p. I want to hear the engine, not some simulated engine.

Michael
Old 09-15-2013, 07:41 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
So the system is listening all the time. I wonder if the NSA will tap into C7 audio systems. Oh, wait, that was a different thread.
This is only a concern if you are ALSO using the new iPhone 5s with finger scan.......
Old 09-15-2013, 08:10 AM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

any idea if this system has an off button? Not because I wouldn't want it, but just to see what difference it makes off vs on.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Lyons16
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,
Im having a aftermarket sub put in, using VetteNuts sub box ( thanks Mark). I was told in the menu, you can turn off and on the noise cancelling feature. Can someone explain, where I need to go to do this? I need this off for my new sub getting installed.
Thanks, Jerry
Old 08-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think you're talking about audio pilot, you can turn that off in settings. I can't remember exactly how to get there, it's in the infotainment manual. That's the only thing I can think of.
The following users liked this post:
Lyons16 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Lyons16
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, he said noise cancelling, I will confirm exactly what he means.
Thanks, Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Bose noise cancelling feature

Old 08-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a 2014 3LT. All that I could find in the manual is Bose AudioPilot Noise Compensation Technology. Is this the same as the noise cancellation that you are talking about. If not, does the 2014 have this feature or is it only on newer year models?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:30 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
There are microphones mounted in the cabin (door panels) that "listen" to the sounds present from road noise, engine noise, exhaust sound and other ambient noises and the system generates "white noise" to cancel the sound waves.
The way I've always heard it is that white noise is all frequencies in equal amount (http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/white-noise) therefore white noise would only serve to cancel all frequencies if the mere generation of white noise could "cancel" anything. No, noise cancelation is the process of sending out frequencies in reverse phase.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:04 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Mike S
So, if my wife is talking to me while I am..........

Quick Reply: C7 Bose noise cancelling feature