Question for those that have received there C7

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Question for those that have received there C7

or will be taking delivery in the next day or two i want to ask your impression about the view through the rear window while backing up or lane changes, also does the rear camera activate when using turn signal to aid in a blind spot situation. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:34 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 99
or will be taking delivery in the next day or two i want to ask your impression about the view through the rear window while backing up or lane changes, also does the rear camera activate when using turn signal to aid in a blind spot situation. Thanks.
With the backup camera its not bad, but it's not engaged by the turn signals - just reverse gear. The mirrors are small but OK - you just have too get them aimed right. I think it's something that will take some getting used to.

I'm going to experiment with convex reflectors on the side mirrors.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

OK thanks for the reply & info,and enjoy yours
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM
MRCOUPE5
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Blind spots and back up camera

I had my C7 since tuesday with 650 miles on it now ..
No problem . but I will put a small mirrow on the left side
to ensure blind spot avoidence .. Good luck with your C7 .
NRB/KALAHARI 2LT NPP AUTO VIN # 572 VETTE ED
Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Dang I hate when a sentence makes no sense. "There" is a place; "Their refers to a person.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

They finally added a blind spot monitor to the CTS V coupe. I will miss that in the Vette. Just have to make sure nobody passes me.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 PM
DRDR
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim2003
Dang I hate when a sentence makes no sense. "There" is a place; "Their refers to a person.
:crazy2 "Liten" up Jim
Old 09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quick....somebody call the grammar police!
Old 09-27-2013, 03:38 PM
zipcode
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

View through the rear window is very limited and blind spots quite large. Rear camera only comes on in reverse, think angle would be too low to be helpful in a blind spot situation anyway
Old 09-27-2013, 03:52 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

My DD is a CTS coupe which has somewhat similar limited rear visibility. I have been able to adjust the mirrors enough to minimize the problem, but it also has blind spot monitors which help. I asked one of the GM engineers about them on the C7 when I attended the 60th anniversary event at the Museum in June and was told monitors were not going to be included due the extra weight they would add.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

wow you really 'hate' that kinda stuff, must be a tough life trying to correct all the wrongs in the world.

thanks to all the other replies for the feedback good info
Old 09-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,136 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

wow you really 'hate' that kinda stuff, must be a tough life trying to correct all the wrongs in the world.

thanks to all the other replies for the feedback good info
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

Rear window is useless, very big blinds spots the mirrors don't quit adjust enough to cure them imo. cockpit to me is much smaller than my C6.

Plus side, I think its the best stock handling corvette I have ever driven
Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 PM
SLBelt
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 45 Posts

I read several years ago by a car designer that most people don't understand how to correctly adjust their side rear view mirrors. He explained that with the correct adjustment, very few cars will have a blind spot.

Most people adjust their mirrors so they can see just a little of their quarter panels while sitting normally in their seat. This is actually incorrect. To set them correctly do the following:

Left side: while sitting back in your driver's seat, lean left until your cheek (face not a$$) is almost touching the driver's side window. While in that position adjust the mirror to just see the edge of your quarter panel.

Right: while sitting back, lean right til your face is roughly centered between the front seats. Now adjust the mirror to just see the edge of your quarter panel.

This takes some getting used to since you don't see your qtrs like you might be used to but points the mirrors to the natural blind spots. Now your windshield rear view coupled with your side mirrors will give you full coverage.

It works on every vehicle I've had over the years and will like work on the C7.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Well grammar expert extraordinaire, you forgot to add the close quote ( " ) after the word Their.....

Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SLBelt
I read several years ago by a car designer that most people don't understand how to correctly adjust their side rear view mirrors. He explained that with the correct adjustment, very few cars will have a blind spot.

Most people adjust their mirrors so they can see just a little of their quarter panels while sitting normally in their seat. This is actually incorrect. To set them correctly do the following:

Left side: while sitting back in your driver's seat, lean left until your cheek (face not a$$) is almost touching the driver's side window. While in that position adjust the mirror to just see the edge of your quarter panel.

Right: while sitting back, lean right til your face is roughly centered between the front seats. Now adjust the mirror to just see the edge of your quarter panel.

This takes some getting used to since you don't see your qtrs like you might be used to but points the mirrors to the natural blind spots. Now your windshield rear view coupled with your side mirrors will give you full coverage.

But how will I put my makeup on if I can't see myself in the side mirrors?

I love it when I see cars where the mirrors are pointed so far in that I can see the side of their car.

I know what the side of my car looks like, don't need to see it in the mirror too!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 AM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SLBelt

Everyone should adjust their mirrors as you stated and there is NO BLIND SPOT! I went to an AARP Driving Safety Program at age 72 and thought there was nothing I didn't know about safe driving! Well, I sure did learn this valuable lesson! No need for convex mirrors, blind spot monitoring systems. When you adjust your mirrors as described, you will be able to pick up vehicles in your side mirror before they leave your view in the rear view mirror and the image of the vehicle will be visible in your side mirror until you can see it in your peripheral vision as it comes along side of you! It is also helpful when entering a freeway as you can pick up the cars approaching in your side mirror much earlier making merging much less stressful.
It will seem strange at first as you will no longer see the side of your car! But as the instructor said, that car in the other lane is not that close to you, why do you need to see YOUR car? I have passed this advice along to friends and relatives, but there are some that just can't accept the concept. I guarantee once you get comfortable with it, you will realize the effectiveness of this concept!

Get notified of new replies

To Question for those that have received there C7

Old 09-28-2013, 04:46 AM
lve2xlr8
Instructor

Originally Posted by sccaracer46
Everyone should adjust their mirrors as you stated and there is NO BLIND SPOT! I went to an AARP Driving Safety Program at age 72 and thought there was nothing I didn't know about safe driving! Well, I sure did learn this valuable lesson! No need for convex mirrors, blind spot monitoring systems. When you adjust your mirrors as described, you will be able to pick up vehicles in your side mirror before they leave your view in the rear view mirror and the image of the vehicle will be visible in your side mirror until you can see it in your peripheral vision as it comes along side of you! It is also helpful when entering a freeway as you can pick up the cars approaching in your side mirror much earlier making merging much less stressful.
It will seem strange at first as you will no longer see the side of your car! But as the instructor said, that car in the other lane is not that close to you, why do you need to see YOUR car? I have passed this advice along to friends and relatives, but there are some that just can't accept the concept. I guarantee once you get comfortable with it, you will realize the effectiveness of this concept!
+2 Was taught this at BMW Driving School. I've adjusted all mirrors this way ever since and haven't missed a car in my blind spot yet
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 AM
volvos80
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to add my 2 cents to this - I am a European immigrant who grew up with the convex driver side mirror used overseas. I will buy the C7 next spring, and I am already working on getting hold of the C7 driver side mirror glass so I can have manufactured the convex mirror. I will do a batch of 12 or so and offer for sale. I guess I can see that this may be a big seller.
The DOT has not yet approved the convex European driver side mirrors, but I know they are looking at it. The C7 for export has a larger entire mirror assembly, so we can not just purchase the glass from the US manufacturer and replace it on our US C7's. My US Volvo has the same size so I am of course driving with the European convex mirror here and it totally eliminates any blind spot. As soon as I have the C7 convex auto-dimming mirror made I will let you all know.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Rob 99
Support Corvetteforum!

great responses and impressions, keep em coming
nice idea about the mirror although i would think it would be better suited on the pass side.

Quick Reply: Question for those that have received there C7