Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche owners- own a C7??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM
rx4life
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my 2011 Porsche 997 to purchase a C7 which arrives shortly. That is my 8th Porsche, Tired of the $300 oil changes and the attitude of the dealers.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:49 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm liking this thread. I can't wait to here from some of you after you get the C7. Please post your impressions, as I am waiting for spring to get mine.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:49 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
I have been driving Porsches since 1978. (have owned 16 now) Corvettes since 1980 (owned 7). Both very different on the track. I have an 07 Z06 that I only drive it on the track. I have a new 427 that is awesome. Don't agree with anyone that the C5 handles better than a C6, not true at all. My daily driver is a 2013 991 911S with PDK and I track it 10 times per year; it is flat out faster than my Z06 on the track (depends on the track course) because you can drive it fast so easy. Yesterday I drove the C7 Z51 for the first time at VIR and I was very impressed. I will definitely buy one in the 3rd model year, most likely the high performance one. My brother has been driving the new 991 GT3 in Germany for the past two months and he claims it is lights-out amazing. Big dollars for the German cars unfortunately. You will not be wrong by purchasing the C7. The C7 beat the ZR1 around VIR recently. Go figure that one out. I watched this just yesterday. The Porsches are better made cars. I have had my new 427 in the dealership three times already in under 5 months of ownership. I love the car but am very fu_ _ ing irritated with the problems that have occurred. I only have 3K miles on it too. Save your money and buy the C7. If you have the money then buy the Porsche. The sports car is only going to get better over the next 5-10 years with all the amazing technology coming out.
Fuze,
Thanks for the write up, can you elaborate on the highlighted ^^. What config were you all running? (North, South, Full, Grand) When the C7 bested the ZR1, was it by the same driver and how deep in the braking zones did he/she go with each car? Lastly, how did you like the new e-diff & suspension calibrations.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default truth. B: North Course only at VIR (lots of turns)

Truth. B
Two different drivers so not a fair comparison. I was just shocked that there would be even a close time between the two cars. Obviously the North course doesn't have the back straight like the Full course where the ZR1 would dominate with its speed/power advantage. I have seen two ZR1 runs on the Full course both times attempting to beat the 2:45 time but didn't happen that day. No way the C7 could get there.
The C7 suspension felt very similar to my Z06 but the e-diff was awesome; but a noticeable improvement in feel and prediction . The North course layout was perfect for the new C7 power band/torque. That is why it did so well compared to the ZR1. In a different track with some straight-ways, the ZR1 would crush the C7. I made three laps first in tour & eco, then sport for the 2nd lap, finished up in track mode. I was impressed with the tire grip and brakes!!! Amazing car for the money, look forward to getting one in a few years.
Fuze,
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I race a C5 Z06. The steering feel is every bit as good as any Porsche. I've driven many on track. What's different between my race car and a street C5/C6? Seats and tires, mostly seats.

The C5/C6 have horrendous seats. Put a seat out of a Porsche in one and I guaranty one's perception of steering feel would improve dramatically.

Then there's the tires. C5 Z06 had good tires, but the base C5s had early generation Good year runcraps. The C6 had better runcraps, but still a stiff tire with poor feedback. Changing to any good street performance tire or DOT R makes a world of difference.

Now on the C7 they've taken it to the next level. The steering systems/structure are something like 5x stiffer than on previous cars and the seats are finally worthy of the car.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:52 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Truth. B
Two different drivers so not a fair comparison. I was just shocked that there would be even a close time between the two cars. Obviously the North course doesn't have the back straight like the Full course where the ZR1 would dominate with its speed/power advantage. I have seen two ZR1 runs on the Full course both times attempting to beat the 2:45 time but didn't happen that day. No way the C7 could get there.
The C7 suspension felt very similar to my Z06 but the e-diff was awesome; but a noticeable improvement in feel and prediction . The North course layout was perfect for the new C7 power band/torque. That is why it did so well compared to the ZR1. In a different track with some straight-ways, the ZR1 would crush the C7. I made three laps first in tour & eco, then sport for the 2nd lap, finished up in track mode. I was impressed with the tire grip and brakes!!! Amazing car for the money, look forward to getting one in a few years.
Fuze,
Thanks for the reply VIR is my home track and even though I haven't fully maxed out the potential in my GS I am familiar with the strong/weak areas based on course layout. Good to hear that the c7 will run easily with a Z06 and potentially keep up with ZR1 guys on tight circuits.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:56 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not long ago I started a **** storm by saying that a modded C7 vs the ZR1 would be a driver´s race...
Well, I still think I´m right.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VIN666
Not long ago I started a **** storm by saying that a modded C7 vs the ZR1 would be a driver´s race...
Well, I still think I´m right.
I love the C7, but with comparable drivers it wouldn't be a race at a track like VIR. The extra 178 horses can be put to full use there. Sure an excellent driver in a C7 could keep up with a good driver in a ZR1, but that's not a valid comparison. A couple years ago (at VIR) I had a student in a Pontiac G6 rental. We had no issues keeping up with a brand new C6 ZR1. He'd leave us in the straights and we'd get all over him in the braking and turns. We drove that G6 so hard that we bent the lips of the steel wheels banging curbs in the uphill esses. It was fantastic fun
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by RLEWINTER
I just sold my 2011 Porsche 997 to purchase a C7 which arrives shortly. That is my 8th Porsche, Tired of the $300 oil changes and the attitude of the dealers.

That's exemplary customer service - you apparently just didn't tell yourself that enough times over and over.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Good for you! I hope you really enjoy the new C7 Corvette that you have coming. I'll be willing to bet that you will be glad that you dumped the Porsche and joined the Corvette ranks. I will 100% agree with you on the rip-off nature of the Porsche dealer network. What a bunch of blatant thieves!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Tired of the $300 oil changes..
Just for an oil change? What dealer is charging that?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
Just for an oil change? What dealer is charging that?
I have heard of some charging that, but very few. Mine charges about $180, I think $180-200 is the average.

This is not Jiffy Lube with a bunch of kids that dropped out of high school, these are Porsche Certified Mechanics. You have to pay the price of labor, it will vary greatly based on the Auto Manufacturer and where you live.

For what it is worth my last Oil change they gave me an A8L as a loaner, your not just paying for the Oil and Filter, many feel it is worth the extra money for the better experience. I could not get back to pick my car up for 2 days due to a business trip, they could care less, they stored it in the garage for me and I put over 400 miles on the A8L. Based on that I find the $180 a bargain.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM
VIN666
Pro

In Mexico the oil and cabin filter change on a 2011 GTI was 320 USD...
THAT shocked me quite a bit to be honest. No idea what said service would be in the US though. Maybe I'm spoiled by domestic cars...
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been driving Porsches since 1978. (have owned 16 now) Corvettes since 1980 (owned 7). Both very different on the track. I have an 07 Z06 that I only drive it on the track. I have a new 427 that is awesome. Don't agree with anyone that the C5 handles better than a C6, not true at all. My daily driver is a 2013 991 911S with PDK and I track it 10 times per year; it is flat out faster than my Z06 on the track (depends on the track course) because you can drive it fast so easy. Yesterday I drove the C7 Z51 for the first time at VIR and I was very impressed. I will definitely buy one in the 3rd model year, most likely the high performance one. My brother has been driving the new 991 GT3 in Germany for the past two months and he claims it is lights-out amazing. Big dollars for the German cars unfortunately. You will not be wrong by purchasing the C7. The C7 beat the ZR1 around VIR recently. Go figure that one out. I watched this just yesterday. The Porsches are better made cars. I have had my new 427 in the dealership three times already in under 5 months of ownership. I love the car but am very fu_ _ ing irritated with the problems that have occurred. I only have 3K miles on it too. Save your money and buy the C7. If you have the money then buy the Porsche. The sports car is only going to get better over the next 5-10 years with all the amazing technology coming out.
Fuze,
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 AM
CasperDog
Instructor

Default Not yet...........

I currently own two 997 911's ('12 Turbo S and '08 GT2) along with a '12 T Cayenne and a 2011 ZR1. I know everyone has heard it before, dont slam me for my opinion, I will not be buying a C7 until Chevy does something with the taillights. I know................911's are fugly. To be honest, I love my ZR1 and it will take one hellava car to take it's place. BTW: My Porsche dealership does not charge for oil changes.

EDIT: Also own a '12 Wrangler, '11 CTSV, and 1959 Jaguar MK150

Last edited by CasperDog; 10-01-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 AM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CasperDog
I currently own two 997 911's ('12 Turbo S and '08 GT2) along with a '12 T Cayenne and a 2011 ZR1. I know everyone has heard it before, dont slam me for my opinion, I will not be buying a C7 until Chevy does something with the taillights. I know................911's are fugly. To be honest, I love my ZR1 and it will take one hellava car to take it's place. BTW: Most Porsche dealerships do not charge for oil changes.
As a Porsche owner who has a C7 on order (about to be built) I have to disagree with your comment about most Porsche dealerships do not charge for oil changes. In Nevada and California it runs $160 to 190 for an oil change and filter.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM
CasperDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by jsc7vette
As a Porsche owner who has a C7 on order (about to be built) I have to disagree with your comment about most Porsche dealerships do not charge for oil changes. In Nevada and California it runs $160 to 190 for an oil change and filter.
I meant to say my P dealership doesnt charge for oil changes. I recieve "Free Oil Change" coupons at a rate of 3-4 per month. I dont even know what they charge in FLA as I have yet to pay a bill.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche owners- own a C7??

Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 PM
taxdr1965
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 36 Posts

Still waiting for a porsche owner review. Is the c7 refined? Edmunds gave the nod to the cayman. It's not just numbers it's quality of build and feel, feedback.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Litumup411
I came out of one, it was a Panamera. Does that count?

I just took delivery of a non-Z 51 manual car last night. And it handles better than my Porsche...but you may be looking for 911 owners...
we're JUST the folks you're lookin' for!,..we currently have an '08 911 turbo coupe manual,..with all the goodies,..and the wife drives an '11 cayenne turbo,..so,..we're pretty much, a Porsche family,...we've had em since 2000?,..and!,..my 15 and a half year old?,..is getting her drivers liscence soon!..hooray!,..i won't need that vestigial back seat in the 911?..i'm VERY VERY seriously considering the vette!...c7 is VERY appealing to me!,..i'll have to work on my wife,..as she's not as keen on vettes as I am?...but I love the new vette,..actually,..I've loved 'em for quite some time?[ever since I was a kid!]...and I think this new one is gonna make me make "the switch"!,...looks to be very solidly built,..and performance is superb!,..the reviews are all wonderful!..this could be the vette to make this old "porschephile" do the switch!....i'll be headin' over very soon to check out the vette for a test drive,..i'll keep ya'll posted on my decision?...
Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by geezerman
we're JUST the folks you're lookin' for!,..we currently have an '08 911 turbo coupe manual,..with all the goodies,..and the wife drives an '11 cayenne turbo,..so,..we're pretty much, a Porsche family,...we've had em since 2000?,..and!,..my 15 and a half year old?,..is getting her drivers liscence soon!..hooray!,..i won't need that vestigial back seat in the 911?..i'm VERY VERY seriously considering the vette!...c7 is VERY appealing to me!,..i'll have to work on my wife,..as she's not as keen on vettes as I am?...but I love the new vette,..actually,..I've loved 'em for quite some time?[ever since I was a kid!]...and I think this new one is gonna make me make "the switch"!,...looks to be very solidly built,..and performance is superb!,..the reviews are all wonderful!..this could be the vette to make this old "porschephile" do the switch!....i'll be headin' over very soon to check out the vette for a test drive,..i'll keep ya'll posted on my decision?...
forgot to add?,..we'l be getting the manual!,..THAT'S one of my major LOVES about the vette!,..you can still spec 'em as a manny!,....all the higher end 911's now?,..are the "pdk's",...great for sheer speed?,..NOT so good for driver involvement?,..another reason for me to "make the switch"!...keep ya posted!

Quick Reply: Porsche owners- own a C7??