Sponsored by:

New Forum Member wanting guidance

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Forum Member wanting guidance

Hi everyone. New member on the forum here. I have been wanting a vette for years and never pulled the plug for numerous reasons. So, i am now ready to buy but, like many, paying MSRP on any vehicle is painful to my reasoning brain. My heart says no big deal as i have the cash, but my brain says dont do it just because i am geared that way about msrp. I live in Houston and went into a dealer near my house and just about all of them here are MSRP, so my question to him was, "why do i buy from you versus another msrp dealer"? what value do you bring me? He had no answer. All of the dealers in houston act like they are the only ones at msrp, but 90% of them are.lol

The way i see it is any dealer can write up and order, there are no sales skills needed. Give me free Oil changes for life, free window tint, $2K off? Get creative and sell me on why your dealership. Sorry for the digression, but i am in sales, to large corporations and i need to sell, not just take orders.

That being said, this is just a fun car for me, so my question is: Based on your experiences in the past, when the 2015s come out and things settle down in 8 months or so, do dealers actually going to negotiate on new 2015 vettes? They are currently pricing $10K to 15K under msrp on 2013 new vettes, but not sure if this is because it is such a drastic change from C6 to C7. There are a couple new 2013 GS's out there that are discounted to $62K brand new (msrp $69K), but the C7 I am looking to order would be $58K at msrp, so makes no sense to buy a C6. I told the Dealer that had a Gray GS brand new 3LT, A6 that i would give them $45K for it... but they are staying firm at $62K. But, as mentioned, i can get a new C7 for $58K, so makes no sense.

Curious to know your thoughts. And, in no way, am i bashing anybody paying MSRP. That is cool for them. I just cant get my brain to do it. The wife says no big deal, my practical brain says "i need a deal"... Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:37 PM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Dealers think they have to get so much for their leftover cars and you have to convince them otherwise. I bought my 2010 in 2011 and they wanted just as much for the leftover as the current one and it was difficult to get them to budge.

This time I traded the 2010 and one of my justifications is that whatever I would save by waiting for lower price will be eaten up in depreciation so I enjoy my new ride sooner.

You just need to decide what the C7 is worth to you.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

of course they will negotiate in a few months...so what else do you want to know?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:43 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

I get the feeling that you check and see what to dealers on this site are asking and then see what the ones in your area are. If the ones here are thee best plan a Vacation

AVOID mark up dealers!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:46 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I feel your pain. Same situation (except I think my wife is unaware of the plan to get one) and paying MSRP irks me. My own salvation is I have already a C6 (wife didn't know about that one either) and whenever I'm behind the wheel I couldn't care less about the C7. Then I get into CF, see the C7 pic's and want one.

Ultimately this is a personal decision, there is no right or wrong answer. Eventually, supply will catch up to demand and dealers will need to buy volume by discounting prices. The timing is entirely unknown, especially given all the constraints so far.

Best approach is to give it some time and then contact some Forum dealers about pricing.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Don't know about Houston but dealers are negotiating NOW. Seems to me if you don't think there is value one local dealer to another......... why limit yourself to Houston?

Go national.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen e
of course they will negotiate in a few months...so what else do you want to know?
One dealer i spoke to said, he knows he will get msrp, even if it takes a year to sell them at msrp. He watched me walk out with Cash. He said he had a line waiting to buy, but I caught him when he said he has 40 allocations and only 10 are sold and he is buying 10 for dealership inventory. I immediately said, so, there really is not a line of people waiting. lol. I guess you answered my questions that they will negotiate in a few months. I didn't get that feeling, when he could have sold to me on Friday. I had a USAA Certificate for $3200 off MSRP with his dealership. USAA since then has taken that down, but i got it on Thursday and went in with it on Friday and he would not budge at all. So, i will wait it out for the 2015s or Certified Pre Own 2014 in a year. Unless, a dealer in Houston reads this and is ready to sell me a car.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:52 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Just be a little patient and you will save yourself some money.

I think that most of the presold C7's have now been built or close to it so soon they should be building coupes for all the dealers inventories until they start producing the sold converts.

I would think soon you will be seeing the coupes on dealers lots for sale. One of the forum dealers has already run an ad last week listing 22 coupes that are for sale from their initial allotment.

If you do not want to pay MSRP I would wait a couple of months and after some dealers have had them on their floorplan for a month or two and paying interest on then they will start to deal.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:06 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Originally Posted by RJRSW
Just be a little patient and you will save yourself some money.

I think that most of the presold C7's have now been built or close to it so soon they should be building coupes for all the dealers inventories until they start producing the sold converts.

I would think soon you will be seeing the coupes on dealers lots for sale. One of the forum dealers has already run an ad last week listing 22 coupes that are for sale from their initial allotment.

If you do not want to pay MSRP I would wait a couple of months and after some dealers have had them on their floorplan for a month or two and paying interest on then they will start to deal.
Thanks for the response. Appreciate the info. I am thinking most of the dealer inventory will be with all of the bells and whistles that i will never use. I am wanting to order a base, manual, CG, Kalahari or Gray or Black Interior, 2LT and Nav with silver wheels or machined face. I don't need Z51, Performance exhaust etc.. So, i will probably have to order one.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

It will be pretty interesting to see how the market shakes out in the next 6 months.
There is always the rush to be first, but I am thinking there won't be 40,000 people lined up to buy a 2014, which means later on the prices will come down - it is just a question of when, and whether that is for the 2014 model year.
I just sold my C6, but won't be in the market to buy until April because it just doesn't makes sense to pay MSRP just to let it sit in the garage all winter.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bevo_87
Thanks for the response. Appreciate the info. I am thinking most of the dealer inventory will be with all of the bells and whistles that i will never use. I am wanting to order a base, manual, CG, Kalahari or Gray or Black Interior, 2LT and Nav with silver wheels or machined face. I don't need Z51, Performance exhaust etc.. So, i will probably have to order one.
I think you will have no trouble finding a base coupe. There were always a good number available during the C6's run, the dealers bring in base manual coupes that they can use to advertise a low price leader.

Finding out that you really would have liked certain options after you have bought one without them can end up costing you much more later and take away from the enjoyment of the car that you could have had.

I would make some comparisons on options before buying. I have owned around 25 vettes from the first 6 generations and have found that the ones that I bought with few options I got tired of very soon. Now I buy only fully loaded converts since 1984 and find I enjoy then far more, keep them much longer and save money in the long run. The 84 coupe I bought was pretty base and kept it a year, next I bought a 86 pace car convert with every option available and ended up keeping that one for 18 years.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

People buying early are paying MSRP or close to it. When many dealers get cars to sell from the showroom it could be up to $10K over MSRP and they might not be equipped the way you want them.
That's how it was down here in south FL and they say it's the same in LA.
Dealers with low allocation have more buyers than cars to sell; that's why you get the 'market adjustment UP'. Could be that by the time there are more cars than buyers, when they start to discount, might be time for the 2015's.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Don't know about Houston but dealers are negotiating NOW. Seems to me if you don't think there is value one local dealer to another......... why limit yourself to Houston?

Go national.
With all due respect, my extensive research across the U.S. does not support Dealers selling below MSRP. For the benefit of the C7 Discussion Forum, may I ask dealer name/location you are referring too.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Get a GM Card, and start charging on it. Even if the dealer sells it to you for MSRP, you can get a credit of up to $3000. That should make you feel better.

Michael
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

If you want the car you pay the price. I think it is simple. If you want to wait I am sure there will be some dealing later. There is a big difference of opinion when later is. I do not think comparing the C7 to the C6 market is a good indicator. Of course if the economy collapses then they will be the same.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:34 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill17601
If you want the car you pay the price. I think it is simple. If you want to wait I am sure there will be some dealing later. There is a big difference of opinion when later is. I do not think comparing the C7 to the C6 market is a good indicator. Of course if the economy collapses then they will be the same.
The C6's were introduced in a far better economy than we have today which from everything I see still has not recovered.

The first four years C6 sales were very strong and I cannot see the C7's getting anywhere near those early C6 production numbers. The 2007 model year was the highest vette production sales year since 1984. Look what has happened with the sales in the last 5 years which required heavy discounting and rebates even to achieve those poor sales rates.

2005 37,372
2006 34,021
2007 40,561
2008 35,310
2009 16,956
2010 12,194
2011 13,596
2012 11,647
2013 13,466
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wait maybe about a month. I picked up my 2005 in December of 2004 at a discount (1-2K) keep in mind I did NCM delivery so it was ordered around October. You will probably need to contact a forum dealer since most in Houston wanted 10-25K over MSRP back then.
As you said the economy was much better back in 2004 along with a MSRP of nearly 10K less than the current car. It shouldn't be long remember most dealers have only received their first car and it is unlikely they would discount it due to the increased foot traffic it will bring.

Get notified of new replies

To New Forum Member wanting guidance

Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

I'll give you my opinion from the dealer side.

This first year is really set to the dealer's advantage. Most of the 900 dealers who were part of the first allocation pre-sold all or most of their inventory at or above sticker price. That will probably be all of the production through maybe February or March.

The second allocation with give the other 2,000 or so dealers a chance to get a few cars for the first time. Those dealers will probably try for sticker or higher since it's their only chance.

Also, at the same time over 2,000 dealers are getting cars for the first time and are trying to hold the price, the 900 dealers will be getting more cars. Not only will this be peak selling season going into spring, the large part of the market will be at or over sticker so those 900 dealers will probably have no problem getting sticker for most of their second allocation.

There will be a time in May or June when the dealers start placing orders for 2015s that you may see some play on the 2014s since many people will be to the point that if they are going to pay sticker they will wait for a 2015. Of course, a significant 2nd year price increase could change that as well.

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Old 09-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

In my opinion the people with C6's who respond with it will be a short time are dreaming. It will be easy to sell 30,000. Look at 2005,6,7,8. The economy is almost as strong and I see getting close to those numbers. If you leave political BS out and read the numbers. Yes there are poor people and yes there are jobless. But the top of the economic ladder is doing very well.
Doesn't matter which of our opinions is correct. Time will tell.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill17601
In my opinion the people with C6's who respond with it will be a short time are dreaming. It will be easy to sell 30,000. Look at 2005,6,7,8. The economy is almost as strong and I see getting close to those numbers. If you leave political BS out and read the numbers. Yes there are poor people and yes there are jobless. But the top of the economic ladder is doing very well.
Doesn't matter which of our opinions is correct. Time will tell.
Somehow I cannot see the top of the economic ladder buying C7 corvettes to impress people when they valet it at the country club. You see Porches, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, etc. there but not Corvettes.

My daughters fiancé is a venture capitalist worth about 100 million and when I brought my vette convert over to their home this summer he was polite with his comments when he saw my car but I could tell he was far from wanting one. He drives a new Porsche Cayenne and he could buy anything he wanted.

Quick Reply: New Forum Member wanting guidance