C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove the Stingray and Viper on track -- Viper had a great view...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM
VLE-OPD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
His picture of his Viper and Corvette were at Laguna Seca.

So I just took the times from Fastest Laps for Laguna Seca.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

Just having some fun, take it with a grain of salt. I can handle the ratty red stripe clown shoe insults and all!
Really that is what the design guys at GM call it so I can't take credit for it.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
JsnMR2
Pro

Some of you guys are haters lol.. To think a base C7 is competitive in most scenarios vs a new viper is kind of crazy in my opinion. I've never owned one or even driven a Viper, but it's just common sense I think. If the new C7 high perf version comes out around 100k, I might trade my modded c6Z for a used (new at the moment) viper instead. If the new C7Z whatever is around 85K like it should be, I'll stick with it.

I agree that many more vipers would be on the road if they were closer to c6Z prices.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap Mike - I leave the forum for 6 months, and look what you start!

For you guys that don't know Mike, there is not one arrogant bone in his body, he is the most genuine helpful sincere person there is.

With that said, he does bleed Chevy blue (old school Chevy is blue), like I do.....
Old 10-10-2013, 10:58 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll second that. ^
Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 PM
gofobroke
Instructor

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Well hell...on a short track a shifter cart will destroy both.
That is the point.

Title of this post is inherently inflammatory to a viper fans. Op bleeds Chevy blue. This is a corvette forum so makes sense to post merits of C 7 on track .

Put this post on a viper forum and they laugh you out.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gofobroke
That is the point.

Title of this post is inherently inflammatory to a viper fans. Op bleeds Chevy blue. This is a corvette forum so makes sense to post merits of C 7 on track .
Of course this plays to the home crowd, that was the point, but the title was never meant as a serious statement given the type of event it was and that was immediately addressed in my next post that it was in jest.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:43 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
Not a tracker, but not stock either. Few bolt ons..

Bwahahaha.....I have a friend with an 06 Gallardo that has the same "bolt-ons" as yours. It makes my almost 800 RWHP FGT feel like a Camry in comparison.

If this race somehow comes to pass,please,please PM me. I will fly to Houston and video the whole thing. Seriously.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:28 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone with track experience knows that it would be close between the stock C7 and 2013 Viper on any track with equal drivers..

But if you get on a "real" race track like say The Glen and take both cars to their limit with equal drivers the Viper is going to be alittle faster.. You would have to change the tires to slicks on the Viper to utilize all of its power because it will get real greasy and slippery and that will slow you down. I see it all the time on track, the modded C6Z06 drivers have 600 rear wheel hp and they have to change to racing slicks to actually push/drive the car on track without losing control.. and if you put slicks on a C7 that will improve it too, but it doesnt have 640 HP so it will be slower.. Everything on track is about being smooth and having GRIP.. if you have that then you can push more and go faster.. your 4 contact patches are everything, so with equal GRIP and equal DRIVERS, the Viper is going to win.. its just physics..
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mark b
Anyone with track experience knows that it would be close between the stock C7 and 2013 Viper on any track with equal drivers..

But if you get on a "real" race track like say The Glen and take both cars to their limit with equal drivers the Viper is going to be alittle faster..
Nobody here has suggested otherwise including myself. I don't think there's anybody here who would object to having both cars in their garage. The debate was specifically on any track any time and it morphed into a 1000 different variations, not unusual for these types of discussions.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:30 PM
VLE-OPD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Holy crap Mike - I leave the forum for 6 months, and look what you start!

For you guys that don't know Mike, there is not one arrogant bone in his body, he is the most genuine helpful sincere person there is.

With that said, he does bleed Chevy blue (old school Chevy is blue), like I do.....
Excellent comment Everett - It's all Mike's fault!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Zerski
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Why do Corvette guys have such little man syndrome when it comes to the Viper? Never ceases to amaze me. They're both badass.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zerski
Why do Corvette guys have such little man syndrome when it comes to the Viper? Never ceases to amaze me. They're both badass.
I think everyone here generally agrees they're both badass, I don't see anyone who suggested otherwise.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEE427
Speaking about Vipers,and Vettes. I really enjoy my 2010 ACR,and Z06 on the track. IMO the ACR is the best Viper made,best looking too. It has everything that you need for track days. The only thing I did was change out the stock brake pads to Carbotech 12's,and some suspension,height adjustments etc. My Z06 I also have Carbotechs,and Stoptech big brake kits fronts, PFADT Engineering adjustable inverted shocks..

Viper ACR 2010 - YouTube

Freaken awesome Lee.Someone that truly appreciates both.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:47 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerski
Of course they're both badass!
Regarding your other comment, you really should check out the viper forum. They constantly denigrate the Corvette, I think the people with Napoleon's Complex are not on this forum. I routinely see props given to the snake on Corvette Forum.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:27 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
.....Any track, any day the Viper would waste the C7, based on your self proclaimed history of driving "most high end cars" you would know this. And this is not a slight against the C7, it should lose to the Viper and it would.
Although I am sure Mike has passed many Vipers in his 'beast' as have I in my lowly C5Z (slightly modded), the best comparison that I have personally witnessed was at Putnam Park a couple of years ago. We had several vettes (C5 and C6) run against a contingent of vipers out of Missouri of equal number for total average times of each group using mylaps transponders. The best I remember we had 6 or 7 members in each group, some stock some modded. The vettes took home the trophy.

As far as Mike's credibility, you evidently don't know him. His is a man that knows of what he speaks.

Forgot to mention as a curious note: there were also time trials that weekend for trophies in 4 classifications. A couple of viper drivers got a TT trophy. Everyone applauded for each presentation. However, when the trophy was presented to the vette team for besting the vipers, NOT ONE of the viper drivers applauded. Those guys had no humor about them at all. I believe that I will always remember that.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 10-12-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Drove the Stingray and Viper on track -- Viper had a great view...