C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever done a "Pre-trade" towards a C7 coupe or convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Altman, what state is BRYNER in? It would also help if you filled out your information
Old 10-06-2013, 08:24 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
You have lost the sales tax credit for this trade-in. When they write up your Sales Order for the new car, they will have to charge you sales tax in the total price. They can't very well subtract $23k off the Sales Order when they already have given you that money.
Originally Posted by C6VINCE
Wrong! Sales order was already written up and the tax is based on the balZnce after the trade.

^Suns_PSD is correct. If the dealer pays you cash for the car, how can it be considered a trade down the road? I would be wary if that's the 'deal'.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I got a trade offer back in July on my 13 GS. I asked if they wanted the car now since summer does not last long in Ohio and he said the new car would be in sometime in October. They said no enjoy it til your C7 comes in. I asked do you want money down? They said no we deal on our word.

Car came in Saturday and I pick it up Tuesday. Dealer has 2 verts left to order and discounted the coupe. PM me if interested in ordering a few states east of ya.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The dealer must hold your money in order for it to be considered a trade in. If they give you a check for the value of your car they have just basically purchased it from you. You can have them give you a receipt showing they are holding the funds until your car comes in.

I would just make 100% sure that the dealer has an allocation before doing any thing.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:12 PM
ATOMICV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not like what dealers were willing to give me for my 2008 C6 so I put it on autotrader, sold the car in two days. The deal was done through the dealer where I ordered my C7. Gave the buyer a little break on price. He was happy and I got tax break and good money for my trade. Now is really a bad time to sell, end of season, 2013 leftovers and new model, you may have a hard time selling. Good luck in your quest. BE PATIENT
Old 10-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Seriously this is silly and the math doesn't even add up. If they cut you a check for $23,000 already, they can't also subtract $23,000 off the price of the new car, it's one or the other. otherwise, they just shorted them selves $23k.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

wouldn't do it, not with that kind of wait time... what if something happen like the dealer close or declare Bankruptcy? You'd never see your money or the car (you might afte costly litigations)... it's a lot of money to have someone "hold it"...
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by GTJim
The dealer must hold your money in order for it to be considered a trade in. If they give you a check for the value of your car they have just basically purchased it from you. You can have them give you a receipt showing they are holding the funds until your car comes in.

I would just make 100% sure that the dealer has an allocation before doing any thing.
I've seen dealers cut a check but then count it as a trade later. The laws probably vary by state though as it's a state tax issue. I have also been told that in Texas they can keep it on the books as a trade for a year.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 PM
C6VINCE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^Suns_PSD is correct. If the dealer pays you cash for the car, how can it be considered a trade down the road? I would be wary if that's the 'deal'.
. Well, just as I wrote several weeks ago, the "trade amount" lowered my taxable base, saving over 2K in taxes, even though they cut me a check FIVE months ago. I picked that blade silver baby up this afternoon. Completely awesome!!! Anyway, so many people on here that think they know it all and don't know diddly squat...

Quick Reply: Anyone ever done a "Pre-trade" towards a C7 coupe or convertible?