Sponsored by:

Memory Seats-I don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a difference between cars with auto trans and those with the manual. With auto trans, you have the option to set when the auto recall kicks in - either at entry or at ignition on. With manual trans, you only have the at entry option (and it's labelled simply "On"). Or at least that's what the manual says. My car is a manual, and the only options I have for auto recall are on and off.

If I hit start button to put the car in accessory mode, I can push and hold the memory button to get into the saved position. If I push the start button for about 5 seconds (without stepping on clutch) the car goes into "on" mode without the engine running, and a single push of the seat memory button will recall the position. Then I can start the car.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:35 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
They are not marked...do you have a 2lt or 3lt car????or are you making an assumption??
They are marked, just at a different place now. I had to remove the key portion and it was printed really small inside.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM
CaptRat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG
There is a difference between cars with auto trans and those with the manual. With auto trans, you have the option to set when the auto recall kicks in - either at entry or at ignition on. With manual trans, you only have the at entry option (and it's labelled simply "On"). Or at least that's what the manual says. My car is a manual, and the only options I have for auto recall are on and off.

If I hit start button to put the car in accessory mode, I can push and hold the memory button to get into the saved position. If I push the start button for about 5 seconds (without stepping on clutch) the car goes into "on" mode without the engine running, and a single push of the seat memory button will recall the position. Then I can start the car.
That's just like my m7 car. It's less than a 5 sec hold on the seat memory button though, so I selected memory recall off and just hold the button once I'm in and the door is closed.

I really think this could probably be solved with a fairly simple programming change. Is there somewhere to make suggestions to GM about things like this other than here, CS, or your dealer? I mean, after all, we're not talking about redesigning hardware here.

Rat
Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG

Thanks for that!!I will give it a shot!.....If that works I could live with itI was just pressing the ign button and letting it go!

Last edited by vetehead; 10-14-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Originally Posted by sajonf
They are marked, just at a different place now. I had to remove the key portion and it was printed really small inside.
could you post a pic of the marking????I for the life of me cant find markings????is there another way to figure out when in car which is 1 or 2??
Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

could you post a pic of the marking????I for the life of me cant find markings????is there another way to figure out when in car which is 1 or 2??
It is on the removable key in one of the recessed areas, the farthest one from the actual key. Look down in that hole with a flashlight and you will see 1 or 2
Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 PM
vetehead
Drifting

It is on the removable key in one of the recessed areas, the farthest one from the actual key. Look down in that hole with a flashlight and you will see 1 or 2
Ok gotcha.... that I can see...both of my key heads are marked 1 on the key housing....Outside I go to make sure thes are the keys to my car....lol
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 PM
augirl47
Heel & Toe

Ok gotcha.... that I can see...both of my key heads are marked 1 on the key housing....Outside I go to make sure thes are the keys to my car....lol

wait, both of my keys are marked 2. You have one of mine and I have
one of yours. lol
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Originally Posted by augirl47
wait, both of my keys are marked 2. You have one of mine and I have
one of yours. lol
So where do we meet up to switch???
Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 PM
505hp
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact same issue with my manual C7. When you open the door the seats moves to memory position BEFORE you get in the car. My C6 the car went back in to memory position when you started/activated the car etc..
Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I have to say, now that I've had the car a full day and driven 100 miles on it, I really have to state I don't like how the memory feature functions. I turned off the auto recall for now. I can't reach the clutch when my seat is in the exit position, so I have to hold down the #1 button to get back into position so I can start the car. Pretty annoying, actually.

It should simply be 1-touch every time instead. What's with the hold?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM
CaptRat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Especially if the vehicle is off and the parking brake is set on a manual or if an a6 is in park any time.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

When not in auto recall mode, I have to push and hold the recall button four times to get it to finally move everything into place. And it's odd that the owner's manual says to select when the seat moves (at door open or at start/on) but there is no option on the recall settings to do so.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,649 Likes on 6,648 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Yeah, I have to say, now that I've had the car a full day and driven 100 miles on it, I really have to state I don't like how the memory feature functions. I turned off the auto recall for now. I can't reach the clutch when my seat is in the exit position, so I have to hold down the #1 button to get back into position so I can start the car. Pretty annoying, actually.

My standard trans 3LT Z51 works fine accept I do have to hold the #1 bottom until seat, mirrors, steering wheel are all in place. As I recall in my C6 (sold in May-so could be wrong) I just hit it once. However, my wife’s Cayenne operates the same way; have to hold my seat number until all adjustments are complete.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't have to hold the button if you turn the car on first. You don't have to start it, just press the start button (twice, I think) to get into the ON state. As long as it's in park or parking brake set on manual the one touch feature will work. Once it's where you want it you can depress the pedal/pedals and start the car.

Do you all really find that getting into the car with the seat and steering wheel in the final position that hard? I can understand about getting out but getting in is relatively easy, even for me at a stocky 5'9" and 220 lbs. Besides, working all the motors every time I get in and out has got to take its toll on the mechanicals.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by mjw930
You don't have to hold the button if you turn the car on first. You don't have to start it, just press the start button (twice, I think) to get into the ON state. As long as it's in park or parking brake set on manual the one touch feature will work. Once it's where you want it you can depress the pedal/pedals and start the car.
Mine is acting up. After starting the engine and having the parking brake set, I have experienced all scenarios: push it once and it works, push it once and it doesn't work, hold it down and it works, hold it down and the steering wheel makes a slight movement. Definitely something wrong here...
Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,649 Likes on 6,648 Posts

Do you all really find that getting into the car with the seat and steering wheel in the final position that hard? I can understand about getting out but getting in is relatively easy, even for me at a stocky 5'9" and 220 lbs. Besides, working all the motors every time I get in and out has got to take its toll on the mechanicals.
Thanks, will give hitting the start button a try. I have no problem getting in or out, even though I park very close to one side of my garage and only open the door to the first stop (before it hits the wall bumper I use-same one as on the C6.) At 71 it keeps me limber! Took my old boss for a ride yesterday, he’s 85! He had no problem getting in by himself but when he put both feet on the ground to get out-had to pull him up!

Get notified of new replies

To Memory Seats-I don't get it.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
My standard trans 3LT Z51 works fine accept I do have to hold the #1 bottom until seat, mirrors, steering wheel are all in place. As I recall in my C6 (sold in May-so could be wrong) I just hit it once. However, my wife’s Cayenne operates the same way; have to hold my seat number until all adjustments are complete.
Exactly. That's how I'm dealing with it too. I don't want to have to hold the button. I'd rather be using that time to put my seat belt on.

I really hope GM has a software update for this.

It's annoying for me, actually. I'll start hitting the ON button first, but I do think it's sort of a half-*** measure.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:56 AM
jfinkow
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you! This was so hard to find. But they are there on the key, not the fob. This is one case where the C6 was better. Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Default Important Note

Guy's there's more to this then what's been written. It appears there's 4 settings.

First, I have a manual 7 speed, so what I have found applies to this only, but I'm sure it's similar on the A6's as well.

I spent 30 minutes just playing with the possible combinations and the end result was by mistake only.

The memory recall auto and easy exit/enter are confusing at first, but stay with me here.

I found that if you turn off memory recall and easy exit first, then set your seat, mirrors, etc where you want them, press memory 1 or 2 and the set button together.

next DO NOT set memory exit button.

Now turn on memory recall AND easy exit. Here is what will happen:

upon opening the door (completely keyless meaning, do not press any buttons on the remote fob) when you open the door, the door will put the seats, steering etc all the way back so you can get in the car.

DO NOT PRESS ANY MEMORY BUTTONS:

Close the door WITHOUT STARTING OR PRESSING ANY BUTTONS WHAT-SO-EVER everything AUTOMATICALLY goes to the memory position like magic!!

Upon everything being set, then you can press the clutch in start the car and go!!

Those options in the manual are also valid by why use them when everything happens the way it should effortlessly!!

Try it and see what happens.

Last edited by ldepalma; 10-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Memory Seats-I don't get it.