C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Dealers Have to Start Discounting Non-Constrained Option Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Will Dealers Have to Start Discounting Non-Constrained Option Cars?

The constraint on Z51 especially seems to beg an interesting supply and demand question.

From the comments on this forum, many of us who want Z51, Carbon Fiber Roof, and Competition Seats are sitting on the sidelines and passing up our turn for an order until the constrained options are available. Z51 seems to be the biggest limiter since fewer deem the CF Roof and Comp Seats "must-have." This causes dealers to either ask the customer to take a non-Z51 car, order a non-Z51 car for floor stock, or loose the allocation.

I would also like to point out [flame suit on] that many people who want Z51 will never really need or use the capabilities it provides. Many just want the look of the wheels, spoiler, etc. and the cool factor of the ELSD, dry sump, and larger brakes. Some also believe the resale value will be higher with Z51. These are all fine reasons for wanting Z51 and I am not faulting any of them. The reality is, Z51 was developed for track use and that is where it is needed.

In an earlier thread last week about the Z51 constraint, a theory was floated that many of these want cases opt for Z51 because the cost for it is too low. The theory was that if Z51 came at a $5,000 higher premium it would mostly be the track using need cases who would still go for it.

I think this financial incentive concept could be turned around. As long as Chevrolet can't supply enough Z51s to meet the want demand; dealers can discount non-Z51 cars to get more orders until the Z51 supply chain catches up. Of course I could have this all wrong and there may be plenty of demand for non-Z51 cars at MSRP.

It just might be worth trying if you don't really need Z51. Ask you dealer if they will give you a discount if you drop the Z51. Just think, if it works, the savings could go to some nice aftermarket wheels etc. and you won’t need 10 quarts of oil every change.

Since I will be tracking the car regularly, the Z51 and Competition Seats are "must-have" for me and I will wait as long as it takes to get them. I bring this up because I know people who never intend to track their C7 yet are still wanting Z51. Dropping the Z51 for $$ savings may be a good option for them.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:22 PM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Good discussion topic. I'd consider a non-Z51 car if the price was dropped as a short term car to drive while waiting on a Z51. When I spec out a non-Z51 to a Z51 the delta isn't that much to lure me to a non-Z51 car.

I will track my C7 occasionally after the proper break-in period as well as use it as a daily driver (these cars are meant to be driven ) The MSRC is a nice option for when the wife needs to get behind the wheel as she prefers a softer suspension. Overall the Z51 is the preferred car, but I can see the base being a fun project car (turning it into a track star with less computer aided controls) or as a non-track daily driver.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In an earlier thread last week about the Z51 constraint, a theory was floated that many of these want cases opt for Z51 because the cost for it is too low. The theory was that if Z51 came at a $5,000 higher premium it would mostly be the track using need cases who would still go for it.

Your theory is not really correct though. The Z51 option going all the way back to my C4 in 85', was ALWAYS a great bargain. Of course back then, is was just suspension enhancements not larger tires/wheels and dry sump etc. My C4 Z51 option was $495, C5 was $1195 and C6 was around $1995. I believe. So at $2800, it's inline with the previous gens. Now of course, you get the sticker tires so that I'm sure raises the price a little. GM would never raise it to $5k, that defeats the purpose and what would it prove other then make the car more expensive when in fact, that are trying to get a younger base of people (think younger people with less disposable money, not more!!)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a track car,buy a dedicated track car. These are built to be a street car. When you try to have one car do both,they end up doing neither one particularly well.
Some just want others to think they are "Mr race car driver" .
Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I was looking at some of the posts in the dealer's section and it appears that all the unsold C7's they have coming in are Z51's and they are looking for people to buy those Z51's. I don't think there is a shortage of Z51's for sale, it's just that some people that are special ordering their cars got caught in the constraint.

If anything, there is a shortage of non Z51's available to purchase.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:37 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I think dealers should... they will still make good profit (plus add their holdback for more!)... for example, a base no option unit (MSRP of $51,995 with the dest fee added already) has an invoice of approx $47,500 and an approximate dealer cost of $45,900. Still a nice chunk of profit for the dealership if they slash 1-2K off the sticker for an immediate buyer.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:44 PM
kevingilmore
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main reason i'm buying Z51 is to get the magnetic shocks.
If they would sell the magnetic shocks without the Z51 I would
buy it that way. This is stupid on the part of gm.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
If you want a track car,buy a dedicated track car. These are built to be a street car. When you try to have one car do both,they end up doing neither one particularly well.
Some just want others to think they are "Mr race car driver" .
Check my Sig, I do have both. I went to dedicated tracks cars in 2008 when I got the C6 Convertible. My C5 was a multi-use car at first then became a trailered to track, dedicated track car later. I agree a true race car is safer and can be driven much harder on the track. However I miss the days when I just drove my C5 to the track, ran it all day with a gas fill-up, then drove it home or back to the hotel. All of the loading/unloading and trailering a race car can get old.

I will still have the SuperTruck for hard running and racing, but I look forward to jumping into the Stringray and running out to Spring Mountain for a couple of days.

My point was that a discounted base car might be a better choice than a full MSRP Z51, for the buyer who will never push the cornering limits of the car.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by kevingilmore
Don't quote me on this but the FE4 is an option you can get without the Z51 package.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

I think both packages z51 and non z51 will be discounted within a year. The market is simply not strong enuf to absorb the volume GM wants to produce at above or at MSRP. And above 60K, the market gets very sensitive to market shudders. A small slip on wall street that sees the public's investments go down 10-15% and there will be plenty of every toy above $60K.

On the non z51 package, time will tell if the public buys the model - right now it's all enthusiasts buying the car, and not the country club set...yet...to them it may not be as important next year...

Just my opin...

Last edited by Glen e; 10-10-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Most people have no idea what these options are, what good they will do them, and why they need them.

For the short term it will make no difference. As long as it looks like a C7, sounds like a C7, and they can afford it they will buy them.

Not everyone lives here. In fact, most do not which is why so many are paying over MSRP for them.

In the end, more 1LT auto trans non-Z51 cars will be sold more than any other type once the hysteria drops away. That's pretty much what they are making under constraint.

Last edited by Sin City; 10-10-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Most people have no idea what these options are, what good they will do them, and why they need them.

For the short term it will make no difference. As long as it looks like a C7, sounds like a C7, and they can afford it they will buy them.

Not everyone lives here. In fact, most do not which is why so many are paying over MSRP for them.

In the end, more 1LT auto trans non-Z51 cars will be sold more than any other type once the hysteria drops away. That's pretty much what they are making under constraint.
What I find a significant factor about that car is that both rear quarter vents are functional whereas in the non-Z51 manual transmission car the driver's side rear quarter vent is not functional.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by rcallen484
What I find a significant factor about that car is that both rear quarter vents are functional whereas in the non-Z51 manual transmission car the driver's side rear quarter vent is not functional.
Which is why I like the design of the convertible with manual because these vents are gone and the car has a cleaner shape to it.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by themonk
Don't quote me on this but the FE4 is an option you can get without the Z51 package.
We cannot order FE4 (which is MSRC) without ordering the Z51 performance package (RPO FE3). The Z51 upgrade option is required in order to add Magnetic Selective Ride Control as another extra cost option. Without the Z51, we will only have the standard FE1 sport suspension.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Are you certain? I know the non-Z51 quarter vents do not function to cool (trans nor diff) but when I test drove and viewed a base non-Z51 one closely, the quarter vents did not seem to be sealed and seems to still pass air as a flowthrough and they act as an aerodynamic functionality since the air exits at the pair of teardrop vent outlets under the tailights to reduce lift.

IIRC, GM stated the ff:
Aerodynamics
Notice: The base Corvette Stingray has a three piece lower front air dam. The Z51 option only uses the two outer pieces and does not use the center section.

With race-proven aerodynamics, every square inch of the 2014 Corvette Stingray exterior is designed for performance and improved high-speed stability. All five air vents are highly functional and contribute to cooling or reduced lift.

All models have a new grille/radiator arrangement and hood vents. Venting air out of the hood reduces total front-end lift for improved steering response at high speeds. The front fender side coves also help vent underhood air pressure to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Models with the automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package feature a functional vent on driver’s left side directing air over a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid and a similar arrangement on the passenger side that directs air over a heat exchanger for the electronic limited slip differential (ELSD) cooler.

Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets.

The Z51 Performance Package also includes brake-cooling ducts, a unique rear spoiler and additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability."

Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray
Are you certain? I know the non-Z51 quarter vents do not function to cool (trans nor diff) but when I test drove and viewed a base non-Z51 one closely, the quarter vents did not seem to be sealed and seems to still pass air as a flowthrough and they act as an aerodynamic functionality since the air exits at the pair of teardrop vent outlets under the tailights to reduce lift.

IIRC, GM stated the ff:
Aerodynamics
Notice: The base Corvette Stingray has a three piece lower front air dam. The Z51 option only uses the two outer pieces and does not use the center section.

With race-proven aerodynamics, every square inch of the 2014 Corvette Stingray exterior is designed for performance and improved high-speed stability. All five air vents are highly functional and contribute to cooling or reduced lift.

All models have a new grille/radiator arrangement and hood vents. Venting air out of the hood reduces total front-end lift for improved steering response at high speeds. The front fender side coves also help vent underhood air pressure to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Models with the automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package feature a functional vent on driver’s left side directing air over a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid and a similar arrangement on the passenger side that directs air over a heat exchanger for the electronic limited slip differential (ELSD) cooler.

Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets.

The Z51 Performance Package also includes brake-cooling ducts, a unique rear spoiler and additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability."

I am not certain of much but it IS my understanding that on the manual non-Z51 the driver's side quarter vent air ductwork is not there.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

I am not certain of much but it IS my understanding that on the manual non-Z51 the driver's side quarter vent air ductwork is not there.
I know I read that too... I hear you. On the base unit I drove, I stuck my fingers through the driver's side quarter vent and felt a plastic panel but also felt an area that wasn't blocked... and the rear teardrop seemed like an open vent too. The plastic ductwork may not be there but I think air can still pass through to aid in the downforce functionality to lessen lift.

Maybe someone who now has a non-Z51 coupe can confirm?

Get notified of new replies

To Will Dealers Have to Start Discounting Non-Constrained Option Cars?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

This is correct. I just saw a non-Z51 at the dealer and the ductwork is not there, just the grill on the top of the rear quarter panel, for appearances only.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
This is correct. I just saw a non-Z51 at the dealer and the ductwork is not there, just the grill on the top of the rear quarter panel, for appearances only.
Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I found a manual non-Z51 I otherwise wanted but it would grate on my nerves enough that I would not order one that way. But that is just me.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kevingilmore
Same here. If the Z51 is still on constraint when my turn for an allocation, my dealer has instructions to drop the Z51 and MRC and accept the allocation.

Quick Reply: Will Dealers Have to Start Discounting Non-Constrained Option Cars?