Sponsored by:

An honest inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Regarding the past ten or twelve posts, there are people on the C7 section who are sharing concerns and dislikes not to be raining on anyones parade, but because we are Corvette fans and likely there is a good chance we will buy a C7 at some point. We have every right to raise concerns and make critical remarks based upon problems that several C7 owners are reporting.

I'm on a lot of forums, and seldom do I see nearly as many people telling us what we should not be talking about as this one. It's also the most over moderated forum I've ever been on, so I think it's safe to say that if people say something totally inappropriate they will be asked to back off or take a vacation.

In my case, I don't have a C7, don't have a Corvette at all and don't have one on order. But I've owned seven Corvettes - six of them bought new just in the past 12 years, four of them C6s. I hope that people with as much of a Corvette background as I do have the right to my opinion whether everyone likes it or agrees with it or not.
Unfortunately, it probably needs more moderation than it actually gets. If everyone would heed a few rules the moderators would have a much easier job and would intervene less often:

Any thread(s) that contain open bickering, name calling, subtle derogatory messages, "digs," personal attacks, or anything negative in nature will be closed/edited or deleted, and any participating members who post in violation of this rule, will jeopardize their posting privileges.
The Forum should be a place where we treat one another with civility so that it remains a fun and friendly place to hang around with other Corvette enthusiasts. Hostility to others is rude and inappropriate.

Personal attacks cannot be tolerated. Attack ideas, not fellow Forum members.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Big Dan, I suppose whatever complaints you may hear/read come from folks like you that don't even own a vette of any vintage and simply come here to troll. Somewhat like your OP to the thread.
How pitiful a statement. Had you to taken the least little bit of time to read this thread you would know that I do own a Vette, a more expensive one at that than the C7.

You know I went back and read the thread over and it started off great, even the guys who were less enthused by the nature of the topic were involved and playing fair! It did not take long for the same blowhards to step in and start to whine like newborns in their cribs.

I am beginning to think the real trolls (and I hate that word) are the guys that post photos of burning cars, troll type characters and other wasteful verbage. Even worse is most of these guys aren't even buyers, they claim to be waiting for the right time or a lightly used vehicle but really do GM no good b/c they are not new car buyers.

A few mods and admins had to step in more than once to keep this thread civil, had they not it would have got locked a long time ago. And this all after I kindly asked from the beginning to keep it on topic and not turn it into another trash talking assault of personal innuendo.

Pathetic...absolutely pathetic!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Reading thru all these posts is mostly entertaining. There does not seem to be a lot of tolerance to some opinions in this forum.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:54 AM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

As a C7 owner, I can say that I've read these forums non-stop for months. I know every single complaint that has been made, and while some of them seem silly or very nit picky, the vast majority are easy to fix, and when done the owner should expect no further issues.

I'm not a big fan of cars that randomly catch on fire, or blow the engine every 10k miles, or are in the shop 25% of the time. I haven't seen anything of that sort for the C7, at least not yet. That said, when my car was delivered to my dealer, I asked him to put it up before doing anything with it and make sure all the fluids were in there, especially the diff. And he did. I checked to make sure all the sills, and emblems were there and they were. If they weren't, well, fill the missing fluids, or order the missing sills or emblems and I'll bring it back in a week for you to make the adjustments one afternoon.

I haven't seen anything posted that would make me change my mind about buying a C7 at all. It's a funtastic car, that exceeded my expectations when I got it, and the more I drive it, the more I love it. And I expect to love it for many many years. I would rather have a car missing stupid things that are easily fixable than a car that has all the sills in it and breaks down all the time or catches fire when I hit the go pedal too many times. Of all the possible QC problems, it seems to me that Chevy has devoted its time to checking the really important stuff the most -- exactly how it should be.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:43 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

From the tone of some of the posts in this thread you wouldthink that many of us have not taken our meds. Last time I checked this was aforum, a place to exchange ideas and opinions. Where does it state in the forumguidelines that everybody has to agree? There are many diverse opinions here aseach of us has different experiences, values and etc.
We all have different perceptions of what the C7 should beor should not be. Few if any of us know all the backgrounds other CF memberswho post threads or replies. If themoderators shut down all the complaints; how can those of us interested in purchasinga C7 made an informed decision.

I am here because I want to read the good, bad & ugly about the C7 before Ipurchase one. Everything I read down tothe smallest complaint is important. Someone posted a statement that mostly complaintswere listed rather than those who had no problems. Yup, that is correct ithappened when the C6 came out. There was a benefit from those complaints,members quickly saw the teething problems with the C6 and serious ones were noted so that most of us whopurchased the 2005 (I ordered mine in December 2004) knew what to look for orstay away from. Over the years GM made corrections.
If we continue to take as a personal attack any post thatdoes not agree with our opinion the moderators will be forced to act. In 2004,CF members went after forum dealers much in the same manner as some of the postsin this thread and now we do not have the same type of exchange with forumdealers. In the end we all lose, only hearing good things can also be a badthing.

The C7 will have teething issues, GM is GM, Corvettes arestill Chevys and etc… these are things we can complain about but not change. Inthe end we all supposed to be Corvette enthusiasts exchanging opinions on thisforum.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
How pitiful a statement. Had you to taken the least little bit of time to read this thread you would know that I do own a Vette, a more expensive one at that than the C7.

...:
Sorry, I don't find enough interest in your threads to follow all of them.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Let me start by simply saying please DO NOT take this in any way as a slight against the C7, it is more about GM and their lack of quality control.

I really have no idea what the % of new owners are posters/members here on the forum but it is unreal how many complaints and issues have been posted in a few week period. My point is if we are reading just what is posted here I wonder how many other dissatisfied new owners are out there.

I completely understand that things do happen when a product is mass produced but the amount of problems that have been stated are just staggering. I won't get into the specific issues I've read about but I will ask, why is the apparent build and quality process so seemingly inferior?

I have been with Acura for 21 years and I can tell you that I have never seen with our product paint peeling, parts missing, misalignment, unfilled fluids etc. not to mention the electronic and other issues some have posted here. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying we don't have problems too but we aren't selling iconic 60-70k sports cars, and what problems we do have pale in comparison.

Again this is not about the C7, it's about how disappointing the QC and refinement of the C7 is. For the guys who have a "perfect" car count your blessings, for the guys who are dealing with minor or major issues I hope you can see it through and your cars are also perfect soon.

Does anyone else think the amount of problems seem to be exorbitant? Lastly this is a thread about opinions of people who post here whether they have a 7 or not, please do not turn it into anything else!
I think it's kind of ridiculous.. I understand there are bugs with the first model year but I think it's crazy people receiving cars with paint chips, touch up paint, missing door sills, etc. I would be furious! I'm going to wait a few years so they have all the bugs ironed out. Atleast I havent seen any complaints about the drivetrain other than a software update for the Ediff.. That's good to see theres nothing major there
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
I'll ask you the same plain, simple question I asked the other guy. Do you believe the following described behavior is appropriate?

"Do YOU go into the forum of any generation of Corvette you don't like for the PRIMARY purpose of telling the folks there the fault you find with their cars or their purchase of same? That IS the PRIMARY purpose of the naysayers he is referring to. They clearly enjoy irritating people (did you see texvette2's post where he literally admitted that) OR have some financial or other personal interest involved."
I think your question make no sense at all. First of all, no - I don't go into other forums as I have no interest in ever owning those cars. Secondly, I don't honestly think anyone is sitting around in their underwear in front of their computer with the PRIMARY purpose of finding fault. I'm sure some folks get caught up in doing that for a period of time just in the natural course of having debates.

I think the biggest problem is people who have a very thin skin, and people who look at threads like a car crash on the freeway. They say they don't like the way a thread is going, but they can't stop themselves from opening the thread and contributing to the "debate" when they read something they don't like. The people bitching about posts they don't like are just as bad as the posts they don't like. Move on if you don't like the way the thread is going. There are plenty of threads from owners who are talking about how great their car is if that is all you want to hear. There is a good example just a few posts above this one from "SouthernSon". He says he is not interested enough in the OP's threads to follow them, yet here he is commenting on the thread. Really!

People need to learn that when you get on a forum that is as active as the Corvette forum there will be the good the bad and the ugly. It would be liking going to a party with 1000 attendees. Do you really think you would enjoy standing there talking to all 999 other attendees without anyone of them annoying you? Of course not, so you would simply move on and not talk to them any more.

Last edited by jschindler; 10-14-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KingMotley
As a C7 owner, I can say that I've read these forums non-stop for months. I know every single complaint that has been made, and while some of them seem silly or very nit picky, the vast majority are easy to fix, and when done the owner should expect no further issues.

I'm not a big fan of cars that randomly catch on fire, or blow the engine every 10k miles, or are in the shop 25% of the time. I haven't seen anything of that sort for the C7, at least not yet. That said, when my car was delivered to my dealer, I asked him to put it up before doing anything with it and make sure all the fluids were in there, especially the diff. And he did. I checked to make sure all the sills, and emblems were there and they were. If they weren't, well, fill the missing fluids, or order the missing sills or emblems and I'll bring it back in a week for you to make the adjustments one afternoon.

I haven't seen anything posted that would make me change my mind about buying a C7 at all. It's a funtastic car, that exceeded my expectations when I got it, and the more I drive it, the more I love it. And I expect to love it for many many years. I would rather have a car missing stupid things that are easily fixable than a car that has all the sills in it and breaks down all the time or catches fire when I hit the go pedal too many times. Of all the possible QC problems, it seems to me that Chevy has devoted its time to checking the really important stuff the most -- exactly how it should be.
EDIT: Talon90 started a sticky for those who have problems and resolutions. For all to read it will be the best place for owners to expose their cars issues and hopefully the solution as well. Because it is clearly stated as to the threads purpose it should be an excellent read. It will be interesting to see how many owners discuss/disclose the problems and how many different and recurring ones pop up! Thanks to member FredMills for suggesting it!

King glad to hear your car is treating you well! And thanks for offering your opinion without being one ounce defensive or inflammatory.

Originally Posted by Tommy D
From the tone of some of the posts in this thread you wouldthink that many of us have not taken our meds. Last time I checked this was aforum, a place to exchange ideas and opinions. Where does it state in the forumguidelines that everybody has to agree? There are many diverse opinions here aseach of us has different experiences, values and etc.
We all have different perceptions of what the C7 should beor should not be. Few if any of us know all the backgrounds other CF memberswho post threads or replies. If themoderators shut down all the complaints; how can those of us interested in purchasinga C7 made an informed decision.

I am here because I want to read the good, bad & ugly about the C7 before Ipurchase one. Everything I read down tothe smallest complaint is important. Someone posted a statement that mostly complaintswere listed rather than those who had no problems. Yup, that is correct ithappened when the C6 came out. There was a benefit from those complaints,members quickly saw the teething problems with the C6 and serious ones were noted so that most of us whopurchased the 2005 (I ordered mine in December 2004) knew what to look for orstay away from. Over the years GM made corrections.
If we continue to take as a personal attack any post thatdoes not agree with our opinion the moderators will be forced to act. In 2004,CF members went after forum dealers much in the same manner as some of the postsin this thread and now we do not have the same type of exchange with forumdealers. In the end we all lose, only hearing good things can also be a badthing.

The C7 will have teething issues, GM is GM, Corvettes arestill Chevys and etc… these are things we can complain about but not change. Inthe end we all supposed to be Corvette enthusiasts exchanging opinions on thisforum.

We have winner, thanks Tommy! In a round about way it's like asking around about a restaurant, if I have the opportunity to find out about the place before I go I will. Ask how is the food, the atmosphere, the service etc., we can never have too much information!

Originally Posted by mammoth713
I think it's kind of ridiculous.. I understand there are bugs with the first model year but I think it's crazy people receiving cars with paint chips, touch up paint, missing door sills, etc. I would be furious! I'm going to wait a few years so they have all the bugs ironed out. Atleast I havent seen any complaints about the drivetrain other than a software update for the Ediff.. That's good to see theres nothing major there
You pretty much summed up the, why is the QC not better? And let's face it, as much as we'd hope/like it to get better based on history it could get worse which I hope isn't the case.

As for the drive train it's all proven for the most part in previous or other current GM models. Things will happen but if they get double and triple checked the likelihood of issues should b a lot less!

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 10-14-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vin 1356 weighing in here....I had my detailer go over my car yesterday. The car is perfect from a fit and finish perspective inside and out!There is no more orange peel then my c6 or 2011 Camaro before color sanding and buffing.

I will tell you there seems to be a few software bugs as well as the issue with the hatch closing(vent not working).

I am also disappointed with what I have been reading here from some of the members horror stories.I really was hoping that this time the quality control would catch these very basic issues before customers would receive their cars.This is a bit of a let down!

Let's just hope this is just early build growing pains before Corvette gets a black eye in the press.....The car is really an incredible machine!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
Vin 1356 weighing in here....I had my detailer go over my car yesterday. The car is perfect from a fit and finish perspective inside and out!There is no more orange peel then my c6 or 2011 Camaro before color sanding and buffing.

I will tell you there seems to be a few software bugs as well as the issue with the hatch closing(vent not working).

I am also disappointed with what I have been reading here from some of the members horror stories.I really was hoping that this time the quality control would catch these very basic issues before customers would receive their cars.This is a bit of a let down!

Let's just hope this is just early build growing pains before Corvette gets a black eye in the press.....The car is really an incredible machine!
FWIW, I had two '05 C6s that were the most trouble free cars I have ever owned. In fact, I had more problems with my 08 and 09. While it is concerning, the reality is that most cars will be trouble free.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vetehead

Good post! Glad you are enjoying your new car.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:14 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The great thing about this forum, and posts like this one. Is that it is helping me decide what I want in my next Corvette.

So far I am going to drop Z51, stay with the auto, hopefully GM will allow mag shocks without Z51, drop the Nav, no comp seats.
As time goes on, I am sure this list will get revised.
Thanks Big Dan 427
Old 10-14-2013, 01:37 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
The great thing about this forum, and posts like this one. Is that it is helping me decide what I want in my next Corvette.

So far I am going to drop Z51, stay with the auto, hopefully GM will allow mag shocks without Z51, drop the Nav, no comp seats.
As time goes on, I am sure this list will get revised.
Thanks Big Dan 427
That's kind of where I'm at. 2LT, A6. Hoping by this time next year that the C7 is doable for me and mag ride is a stand alone option. If it isn't, I will live without it.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:41 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I do agree with you in regards to the nit picking. I understand why someone might become upset after waiting months for their order to find out the car is missing a simple part that should have been caught by QC but have the dealer order the part and move on, no biggie.

But I think the issue here with most is the bigger picture. The car is too new to know of any major issues or widespread mechanical failures. I think customers are afraid that if GM's QC is this poor on the smallest and most obvious things, then how much care and detail went into the rest of the car. As some have mentioned, they've seen better fit & finish on $20K vehicles. GM said the C7 was world class and was targeting Porsche... yet they aren't proving themselves well with these QC issues.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

...I'm not a big fan of cars that randomly catch on fire, or blow the engine every 10k miles, or are in the shop 25% of the time.
So YOU'RE the guy I sold my Jaguar to...Sorry about that, but I needed the money to buy my "Vette....
Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM
LB001
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Qc

I'm old enough to remember the period of the 60s through the 80s. After you bought a new American car, you would create a list of things that weren't quite right, and would bring the car back to the dealer. Eventually most of the problems would be repaired. Economics aside, this was the main reason the Big 3 lost market share to primarily the Japanese.

As a C-6 owner, looking forward to buying a C-7, I hope we aren't taking a step backwards.

Get notified of new replies

To An honest inquiry

Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

You know I went back and read the thread over and it started off great, even the guys who were less enthused by the nature of the topic were involved and playing fair! It did not take long for the same blowhards to step in and start to whine like newborns in their cribs.

I am beginning to think the real trolls (and I hate that word) are the guys that post photos of burning cars, troll type characters and other wasteful verbage. Even worse is most of these guys aren't even buyers, they claim to be waiting for the right time or a lightly used vehicle but really do GM no good b/c they are not new car buyers.

A few mods and admins had to step in more than once to keep this thread civil, had they not it would have got locked a long time ago. And this all after I kindly asked from the beginning to keep it on topic and not turn it into another trash talking assault of personal innuendo.

Pathetic...absolutely pathetic!

I agree 100%

I did not have to read your threads to know you have a Vette, Big Dan 427 gives that away.

Last edited by Carnut12; 10-14-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Silverblue
So YOU'RE the guy I sold my Jaguar to...Sorry about that, but I needed the money to buy my "Vette....
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys are letting the internet win. Do you think I give a rat's *** about what some guy named Dan or others on the internet has to say about the C7? Nope! Neither should you. I bought my C7 just the way I wanted it and it has been a blast. I don't even read these threads anymore since they are just silly. Buy what you like and let the opinions of others slide off your back .

Quick Reply: An honest inquiry