Sponsored by:

** C7 Reported issues and resolutions thread **

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:26 PM
ebbiv
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil ingestion

Run the car hard, only need a few quarter miles runs through the gears to redline to cause problem. If you have a Z51 the car will without question suck oil into the intact tract, unless you baby it and never attempt full throttle runs. Pull the rubber snout off the throttle body and you should see oil residue. When they pulled the entire intake assembly out of mine, they dumped nearly a quarter of a quart of oil, and air filter was drenched in oil as well. This was at 2000 miles, with no oil added or changed and was as delivered from factory. Dry sump engines usuallly employ a catch can, but for emission reason GM routes the vent line back into the intake tract, and therefore guarantees oil entering the system.
GM claims there is no fix and no effect on performance or longevity of the engine, which is a crap answer. I've seen so many postings of people spending money for aftermarket fixes for issues that should not be present in a car with a 70K plus price tag. If you have not experienced the problem you are either lucky or have not looked for the issue.

Let me know if you inspect the intake tract and do not find oil, as i'm curious.

Thanks

Ed
Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

This thread has deviated from it's original intent (and rules). The moderators have unanimously agreed that it has become unmanageable and has run its course.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

On the chance that some members may have misunderstood, locking this thread was not intended to prohibit members from posting about their issues and resolutions. Going forward, conversations about issues with individual Corvettes should be posted in a separate thread by those affected.