Sponsored by:

Top Gear Magazine (UK) Has Full C7 Writeup

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
why is it so important to get approval from the Brits? Basically, their cars are crappy overall IMO.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
wonder if gm would change/upgrade the auto for the C7 during the model run? i would think that would be too much to do, UNLESS the z06/zr1 was so equipped (a-la-pdk?).
In 08 they changed to a 6 speed.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Divexxtreme
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write-up. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Went out and found a copy! Thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 PM
mikegaan
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's an excerpt from the Top Gear site:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/c...ive-2013-08-19
Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

It just keeps getting better and better!

Every write up or article that we here about or read, glows with praise.

Well done GM.

Now let's deliver a trouble free car!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:03 PM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

For the most part, I respect Top Gear and their tests. They point out real plus and minuses with the car that appear on the show in a pretty objective and comical way...........BUT, not so when it comes to Jeremy and American cars. He has stated on many occasions that the US has not produced a decent car since the 60's Ford Mustangs (most recently in interview with David Soul).

He is not sane. His biggest cut on the Corvette is that the center of the lightweight rear cap can be pushed in too far with his finger.....which is ridiculous, who ever touches that part of the car ? He never mentions that the Corvette C5, C6 and C7 absolutely smoke everything in its price class even with all the import taxes.

Everything comes down to what you can afford and what can be provided at that price point. Automobiles, insurance and petrol are EXTREMELY expensive in the UK or anywhere in Europe and most residents drive diesels or 2 liter four cylinder front wheel drive, slow ***, economy cars.........he hates that US manufacturers provide their customers with fast V8 cars at a reasonable price.

I suspect his hate of all things American are politically based..........not based on performance or bang for the buck measures.

In addition, the state of English auto manufacturing is dismal, with most marques either out of business due to poor quality or sales......or been sold to the Germans or Indians for schillings on the pound.

Bring on the Stig.........the most honest guy on the show.

Last edited by ZeroToSixty; 10-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:28 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
You appear to have some anger management issues. You have also insulted the Brits and I am sure there are some on this forum. I can also assume you have or will soon have an A6 in your C7. Indeed you will be surprised when the new transmission is announced. In the meantime please re-adjust your meds and don't insult people who may have a different opinion than yourself. Maybe you could also check out the rules about posting in the forum.
I harbor no ill will to any man, but I hate blanket statements without a shred of evidence. I have many Brit friends, and they will admit to both the insanity of many of their engineering solutions and the importance of Monty Python to British culture.

I understand that the GM A6 has had issues. I had an A4 (4L65E) in my GTO and before a Predator tune it sucked. I can tell you that the A6 in my new 2014 Stingray bears no resemblance to those earlier GM transmissions. In Sport and Track modes, it shifts nearly as well as the PDK I drove in a 2012 911S earlier this year, but in Touring mode it shifts about 1000% smoother - so smooth that you can hardly tell without watching the tach. THAT is American engineering, and provides a more adaptive solution than Porsche has ever considered.

I really am a sweetheart, BTW, unless I see you ahead of me on the track.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

So Clarkson's only going to mostly hate on Corvettes this coming season? I look forward to it! Love the show, Top Gear UK is the only car show worth watching in my opinion (outside of Leno's Garage). He actually really liked the C6, so it should be interesting to see what he'll have to say about the C7... outside of the usual "colonies" and "fat Americans driving in straight lines" remarks. I'm sure the "better than a Porsche" comments will come out to sting Hammond.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroToSixty
For the most part, I respect Top Gear and their tests. They point out real plus and minuses with the car that appear on the show in a pretty objective and comical way...........BUT, not so when it comes to Jeremy and American cars. He has stated on many occasions that the US has not produced a decent car since the 60's Ford Mustangs (most recently in interview with David Soul).
He is not sane.
And yet he went out and bought one of these:

Last edited by Guibo; 10-18-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Guibo
And yet he went out and bought one of these:

And held onto it after *numerous* issues, and then proceeded to only slightly joke about it and actually spend time defending the car against his two cohorts.

And let's not forget, Hammond is a big time American (muscle) car fan, and May isn't exactly a hater. Clarkson has pretty well called it like it is in the past, pointing out the flaws every car has in his own amusing, if not sometimes rude, way.

I dare you to find a car reviewer(s) anywhere else who's so widely seen and still willing to call a car utter $#!+ for the right reasons when everyone else is drooling over it.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Coulson T
Advanced

Nothin sells like controversy, they are in the business to create such and add drama...poking at Yanks, Germans and Italians makes good Brit Telly..

And Yeh, granted the 6A has some issues as it is not a Dual Clutch but most of the Euro upscale cars are increasing sales of autos and DCS. I kind of rather flip the paddles anymore than worry about heel/toe and the life of a clutch as I don't choose to track this car.

I think like ZerotoSixty, the real source of frustration for the Brits is their tax system,,the average driver there is hammered for size of engine/fuel consumption and the price of fuel..my 2cents
Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Top Gear is cool, Jeremy is a dolt. Jag, Bentley, Rolls, Mini Cooper are not even British any more, so I guess being English has its ups and downs. I think that he is a bit of a snob and a phony, I have a few friends from England and none of them are like this doofus.
Thanks for the post, good info, on my way to the news stand now.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Nothing like resurrecting a thread that has been dead for 10 months
Old 07-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Coulson T
Advanced

Only God can resurrect things... I just got wound up by the thread and made a mistake running my keyboard.. sorry about that..
Old 07-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I do a lot of business in Europe. I told people there I was buying (and then bought) the "new" Corvette convertible.

You'd be surprised at the level of interest and buzz this car has created there.

A lot of people are extremely jealous because a Corvette is so much more expensive to buy there, gas runs $8.00/ gallon, parking is hard to find and expensive, and road tolls everywhere.

Feel lucky America. You are!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:58 PM
yenko boy
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Anyone with complaints about the NEW A6 in the C7 either hasn't driven it for more than 10 minutes, or is too stupid to figure out how to get the embedded software to shift it to their satisfaction.

The Brits are among the most ego-centric, dim-witted people on the Planet, even though they write comedy well. (If you look in the dictionary for the word "ignoramus" you will find a picture of Jeremy Clarkson, although I will admit he is very funny. I just wouldn't ask for any advice from him on what car to buy.)

American engineers have NOTHING to apologize for. BMW could not build a car as good as the Chevy Cruze and sell it for anything less than twice the price. We put a man of the moon, (Apollo 11), landed a SUV-size rover on Mars, and just flew the first man-made object out of the solar system (Voyager 1). Anyone who has doubted our expertise or resolve has lost.

In that light, the GM 6L80 A6 shifts much smoother than anything Porsche or ZF have ever devised and can run routinely over 200,000 miles. Great for grand touring. With the updates and new control software incorporated in the C7, it can also shift as fast as all but the fastest DCT's, handle the power and torque of the LT1, and still go 200,000 miles. GM does not need to apologize for this transmission, and I would be surprised to see them change it out anytime soon, (except for fuel economy improvements).
The A6 is lacking in performance... It is good for cruising but not track worthy period. Hopefully the 8l90e will help solve this but as of now it ain't looking good. My opinion the A6 is a good transmission but is still not worthy of the c7...

Last edited by yenko boy; 07-13-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Top Gear Magazine (UK) Has Full C7 Writeup