Sponsored by:

New Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Default New Shoes

Before my car arrived at the dealership, I placed an order for Continental ExtremeContactDWS (dry, wet, snow) tires based on the warnings about not driving the stock Z51 tires in temperatures below 40 degrees. While my drive home from the dealership proved that the PSS tires do in fact function in cold temps and even snow, I think it's still prudent to run with some tires actually rated for all-season driving.

I've only driven about 50 good-weather miles on them, but they seem quite up to the task of spirited driving about town and on the local back roads. I took some right-angle corners at a good clip, and made some decent accelerations, and they stick pretty good. They are quieter than the PSS, but are not as responsive. But I can now drive when it's quite cold, which is important because there are quite a few very cold winter days here that are otherwise good for driving.

They are not run flats, so I bought an emergency compressor and repair kit that sits in the back, velcroed quite well to the carpet. I hope I never have to use it.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:27 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wise move. Enjoy it even more!!! Then when the weather gets nice again, BRAND NEW summer performance tires ready to go
Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a set of those on my S2000 as my daily tires and they really are fantastic all around tires. They are especially good in the rain
Old 10-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I put these tires on my wife's car, and am very happy with them. If you don't mind me asking, what do they cost for the C7? And, did you get them through a place like Tire Rack and have them installed locally or get them from a local dealer?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Before my car arrived at the dealership, I placed an order for Continental ExtremeContactDWS (dry, wet, snow) tires based on the warnings about not driving the stock Z51 tires in temperatures below 40 degrees. While my drive home from the dealership proved that the PSS tires do in fact function in cold temps and even snow, I think it's still prudent to run with some tires actually rated for all-season driving.

I've only driven about 50 good-weather miles on them, but they seem quite up to the task of spirited driving about town and on the local back roads. I took some right-angle corners at a good clip, and made some decent accelerations, and they stick pretty good. They are quieter than the PSS, but are not as responsive. But I can now drive when it's quite cold, which is important because there are quite a few very cold winter days here that are otherwise good for driving.

They are not run flats, so I bought an emergency compressor and repair kit that sits in the back, velcroed quite well to the carpet. I hope I never have to use it.

I don't know if you have actually ever tried to repair a flat tire when the car is sitting on the shoulder of the highway with only 3-4 inches of clearance to get your hands where they can actually push a plug into the tire, but it's not for the faint at heart, especially if the shoulder is mud(snow or sleet, etc in the winter) and only two feet wide(like on a back road).

if you have on nice clothes, having a plastic tarp on the round can save you some cleaning bills including not getting back into the car with mud covered pants after wallowing around on the ground.

Much easier to remove the tire from the car and then do the repair and reinstall. Because of this, I carry a 6"x8"x18" $10 duffel bag in my C6 that has an aluminum jack that weighs 3 pounds, collapses to under 3"(especially important since a non run flat tire will complete fold the side wall severely reducing the amount of room under the rocker to slide a jack under), an extendable lug wrench, a torque wrench a 19mm socket with short extension, a 4'X6' plastic tarp, jacking pucks, old towel and a can of hand cleaner).

The duffel bag is secured in the rear compartment by two elastic straps connected to the attachment points on the rear bulkhead that GM supplied for the mesh cargo net. The whole mess weighs about 20 pounds and be removed from the car and placed next to where you are working.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't know if you have actually ever tried to repair a flat tire when the car is sitting on the shoulder of the highway with only 3-4 inches of clearance to get your hands where they can actually push a plug into the tire, but it's not for the faint at heart, especially if the shoulder is mud(snow or sleet, etc in the winter) and only two feet wide(like on a back road).

if you have on nice clothes, having a plastic tarp on the round can save you some cleaning bills including not getting back into the car with mud covered pants after wallowing around on the ground.

Much easier to remove the tire from the car and then do the repair and reinstall. Because of this, I carry a 6"x8"x18" $10 duffel bag in my C6 that has an aluminum jack that weighs 3 pounds, collapses to under 3"(especially important since a non run flat tire will complete fold the side wall severely reducing the amount of room under the rocker to slide a jack under), an extendable lug wrench, a torque wrench a 19mm socket with short extension, a 4'X6' plastic tarp, jacking pucks, old towel and a can of hand cleaner).

The duffel bag is secured in the rear compartment by two elastic straps connected to the attachment points on the rear bulkhead that GM supplied for the mesh cargo net. The whole mess weighs about 20 pounds and be removed from the car and placed next to where you are working.
Very good idea.

I'm thinking of getting some of those too. Did you have the stock tires removed and mount them on the stock wheels or get a second set of wheels to mount them?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-22-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (middle icon) in the right hand corner of each post.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
I put these tires on my wife's car, and am very happy with them. If you don't mind me asking, what do they cost for the C7? And, did you get them through a place like Tire Rack and have them installed locally or get them from a local dealer?
I tried to get them from the local tire shop, but they couldn't get the rear tires at all for some reason, and their cost was higher than Discount Tire's retail price. So I ordered them from DT, and had them installed at the local shop. The tires were just over $1000 plus tax, and installation was $120.

Not bad for high performance all-season tires, but I would have rather avoided the expense by ordering them on the car to begin with. I think GM should offer an A/S option.

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
I'm thinking of getting some of those too. Did you have the stock tires removed and mount them on the stock wheels or get a second set of wheels to mount them?
They are on the stock wheels.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-22-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (middle icon) in the right hand corner of each post.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,548 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Had them on my C6... the best tire for DD use!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:47 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried to get them from the local tire shop, but they couldn't get the rear tires at all for some reason, and their cost was higher than Discount Tire's retail price. So I ordered them from DT, and had them installed at the local shop. The tires were just over $1000 plus tax, and installation was $120.

Not bad for high performance all-season tires, but I would have rather avoided the expense by ordering them on the car to begin with. I think GM should offer an A/S option.
But on the positive side, come springtime you will be able to give us an excellent all season versus summer performance tire review
Old 10-17-2013, 10:43 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Nice set of all weather tires
Old 10-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Probably a good move if you're going to drive it all year around or at least when temps drop down below 40*.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:32 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rcallen484
But on the positive side, come springtime you will be able to give us an excellent all season versus summer performance tire review
I finally got around to switching back to the stock Z51 tires. Part of the delay was that I decided to get another set of wheels so that I wouldn't have to deal with having the tires swapped. Now I'm able to just switch easily when the seasons change.

Good news is that after about 5500 miles, the Continentals show very little wear, and there are no abnormal wear patterns. These are going to last a good while, I think.

The Michelins are definitely more performance oriented than they are comfort oriented. The ride is harsher, and quite jarring on sharp bumps. Unfortunately, the streets around here get thrashed in the winter, and there are a lot of bad stretches all over. Ride comfort definitely goes to the Continentals. And the Continentals are quieter.

The Michelins are much stickier, though. Mine have about 600 miles on them, so are still like new. They grip like crazy. It's fairly easy to break the Continentals loose, and I have to be careful to not get on the gas too much. The Michelins are much better in this respect. But the Michelins also pick up all the little bits of sand and gravel and fling it into the wheel wells. I never realized just how much stuff is on the road. It often sounds like it's hailing. I'm hoping this diminishes as the tires wear a bit.

The Michelins track the road much more than the Continentals. It's a bit annoying. My car is perfectly aligned, but with these tires, it sometimes pulls to the left or right, depending on the road.

I have a lot invested in these, so I will use them, but if I had to do it over again, I would have simply sold the Michelins and stayed with the Continentals full time, even though they are non-runflats. They provide a good balance between performance and comfort. The Michelins are heavy on the performance side at the cost of comfort.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you selling your Michelins?

I would buy them.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:32 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by leadville1
Are you selling your Michelins?

I would buy them.
I should have a set of brand new Michelins for sale later this year, hopefully by May.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:57 PM
SCRed
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Michelins have a tread life warranty. I've had no trouble getting the tire dealer to adjust them per the warranty. 11,000 miles on the fronts and two new tires cost $230 total. They cost more up front, but grip great and the warranty is a big gift.

Get notified of new replies

To New Shoes

Quick Reply: New Shoes