Sponsored by:

An Important Overlooked Spec

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 08:58 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Default An Important Overlooked Spec

According to the latest Car and Driver comparison between the 911 S and C7 Z51, the C7 recorded a Center of Gravity Height of 17.5", the lowest they have ever measured.

For comparison, some of the other leaders in this category are the BRZ/FRS at 18" and the 911 and Cayman at 19". I'm sure the Miata, Elise, Exige, Boxster and C6 deserve an honorable mention as well but I couldn't find measured results for them.

Anyway, just wanted to point that out for those of you who missed it. Certainly this low Center of Gravity Height would contribute to the C7's amazing handling characteristics.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

The C7 has great skid pad numbers.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Aerohead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an engineer I've got to wonder how in the world CD measures the CG of a new car....
Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
According to the latest Car and Driver comparison between the 911 S and C7 Z51, the C7 recorded a Center of Gravity Height of 17.5", the lowest they have ever measured.

For comparison, some of the other leaders in this category are the BRZ/FRS at 18" and the 911 and Cayman at 19". I'm sure the Miata, Elise, Exige, Boxster and C6 deserve an honorable mention as well but I couldn't find measured results for them.

Anyway, just wanted to point that out for those of you who missed it. Certainly this low Center of Gravity Height would contribute to the C7's amazing handling characteristics.
C6 Z06 is also 17.5". I guess they never measured many cars, or C&D has a very poor memory.

"At least Tesla uses this mass to good effect. The battery is below the passenger cabin—as low as it can be placed. The electric motor and power electronics also are mounted low and behind the rear axle. The result is a front/rear weight distribution of 47/53 percent and, more important, a center- of-gravity height of 18.0 inches. That’s one of the lowest we’ve measured, second only to the Corvette Z06’s 17.5. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...r-pedal-page-2

But to really blow your mind........the C4 is 15" and my 1964 coupe is 16.5"(based on SAE paper which showed the 1963 coupe is 16.5"). C3 is 17".

But, if it makes you feel better, my 1956 has a center of gravity height of 19.8". I guess that explains why my C6 Z06 corners better than my '56, but not as good as my '64. LOL

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-03-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Could be something they picked up off a CAD file, or just called someone at GM with access to that. I get that they're doing their own measurements, but the fact that the reported numbers are in .5" increments is a little suspect as well.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:08 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by Aerohead
As an engineer I've got to wonder how in the world CD measures the CG of a new car....
Originally Posted by JoesC5
C6 Z06 is also 17.5". I guess they never measured many cars, or C&D has a very poor memory.

"At least Tesla uses this mass to good effect. The battery is below the passenger cabin—as low as it can be placed. The electric motor and power electronics also are mounted low and behind the rear axle. The result is a front/rear weight distribution of 47/53 percent and, more important, a center- of-gravity height of 18.0 inches. That’s one of the lowest we’ve measured, second only to the Corvette Z06’s 17.5. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...r-pedal-page-2

But to really blow your mind........the C4 is 15" and my 1964 coupe is 16.5"(based on SAE paper which showed the 1963 coupe is 16.5"). C3 is 17".

But, if it makes you feel better, my 1956 has a center of gravity height of 19.8". I guess that explains why my C6 Z06 corners better than my '56, but not as good as my '64. LOL
To answer your questions, this is how Car and Driver measures Center of Gravity Height. They started doing this in late 2011. That explains why the C6 Z06 was not accounted for in their statement.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-tests-feature

In fairness to Car and Driver though, they did specifically say that the C6 ZR1 was the lowest they have ever measured but did not say what that number was, from this article of the BRZ.

"Except for the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1’s, the BRZ’s 18.0-inch center-of-gravity height is the lowest we’ve measured."
Old 11-03-2013, 12:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

To answer your questions, this is how Car and Driver measures Center of Gravity Height. They started doing this in late 2011. That explains why the C6 Z06 was not accounted for in their statement.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-tests-feature

In fairness to Car and Driver though, they did specifically say that the C6 ZR1 was the lowest they have ever measured but did not say what that number was, from this article of the BRZ.

"Except for the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1’s, the BRZ’s 18.0-inch center-of-gravity height is the lowest we’ve measured."
I posted because of your saying that maybe the C6 might "deserve an honorable mention", as if it was somehow inferior to the C7 regarding the center of gravity height. As I pointed out, other generations of Corvettes have bettered the C7's center of gravity height, going back 50 years, and the C7's center of gravity height is no lower than the old, obsolete, ugly C6's center of gravity height.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Interesting tidbits. What about the C5?

Michael
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A

Michael
Coupe and vert would be different, I would assume?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Michael A

Michael
Off hand, I don't have the C5's spec, but I would guess that the C5 and the base c6 would have a center of gravity height slightly lower than 17.5" as they have the steel frame which is really positioned down low, the aluminum from engine cradle(also down low) that is ten pounds heavier than the Z06's magnesium cradle. The C5 and base C6 also have heavier floorboards than C6 Z06 and the C7, mounted down low.

The C6 Z06 and the C7 Z51 have the higher mounted oil reservoir that raises the CG vs the normal oil pan in the C5 and base C6, but some of that is offset by the lower mounting of the battery in the Z06 andC7

Of course, to offset that somewhat, the C6 Z06 and the C7 have the lighter body panels mounted up high, that help lower the CG.

So, I'm guessing that the C5 and base C6 would be somewhere around 17-17.5".
Old 11-03-2013, 02:44 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Interesting stuff.

Doesn't surprise me a car mag would have short memories.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

I posted because of your saying that maybe the C6 might "deserve an honorable mention", as if it was somehow inferior to the C7 regarding the center of gravity height. As I pointed out, other generations of Corvettes have bettered the C7's center of gravity height, going back 50 years, and the C7's center of gravity height is no lower than the old, obsolete, ugly C6's center of gravity height.
Sorry, I did not mean that the C7 was superior than the previous generations. My "honorable mention" comment was meant to recognize other cars that were likely as good or better but I did not have factual data to back it up (and certainly not from Car and Driver since they only started measuring this since late 2011) so thanks for providing those numbers. Funny how Car and Driver mentioned the C6 ZR1 but never published the actual numbers.

In any case, the point of this thread was not to compare it to discontinued cars from the past, which were lighter overall and were subject to less fuel economy and safety regulations. It is good to know that the Center of Gravity Height of the C7 is still class leading in comparison to other modern cars.

I find it amazing that the C7 beats the BRZ/FRS, 911 and Cayman, even though they all have ultra-low boxer engines. Anyone know the numbers for the Viper and the GTR (lolz!)?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it amazing that the C7 beats the BRZ/FRS, 911 and Cayman, even though they all have ultra-low boxer engines. Anyone know the numbers for the Viper and the GTR (lolz!)?
Not so amazing when you consider those are steel-bodied cars. The bodies in those cars are probably hundreds of pounds heavier than the alloy body and composite panels on the Corvette. That being said, GM has done a great job in keeping CoG low.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Joe it's rare to see someone as thin skinned as you. You would be well served to stay on the C6 forum.

This is just to upsetting for you!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by speedlink
Joe it's rare to see someone as thin skinned as you. You would be well served to stay on the C6 forum.

This is just to upsetting for you!
Me...thin skinned...you have to be joking. I give due where it's clearly earned, but where it's not, I speak up with facts.

If your going to try and position the C7 on top of the heap, at least do it in a category in which it excels. Out to seven generations, only the C1 has a higher center of gravity, and the C7 betters none of the remaining six.

It seems you are the thin skinned one as you can't even accept that the C7 is not the most wonderful car of all time. The C7 is nice, but it's not at the top of the heap, all by it's lonesome in every conceivable category.

Get notified of new replies

To An Important Overlooked Spec

Quick Reply: An Important Overlooked Spec