Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I'm back! I think we are going to get together on the deal. Their price/ my price - we split. A few details to work out; the dealer wants my car immediately to put up for sale. And I had to check with the wife. A happy wife = a happy life. On Monday dealer and I will get together to finalize. Epilogue: C7 @ MSRP, minus trade in value of C6 price/over blue book price guide = money out. Dealer can say sold at MSRP and I got my discount price. Win/Win - Happy/Happy.
I will let the dealer have C6 - will be displayed on show room floor until sold or C7 transaction is complete. Now I got to sit down and compose a purchase order to reflect all this.
A happy story, nice! Can't wait to see what you end up getting!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

It is not totally done, yet. Dealing directly with owner. We both were/are having fun. Two cups of coffee later! Quite a discussion on electric cars. Owner didn't really want me to leave without an agreement in place, I wanted to think it through before committing and I really hate not having my C6, but winter anyway.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got an email from my local dealer informing me they just got their allotment for a 2014 convertible. Claims he is going to give me a good deal? We'll see! Going to stop by tomorrow. I already have a price in mind, this time year not in any hurry.
It would be unthinkable to call you and not tell you he is going to give you a good deal.

He could have easily said they would offer a couple of thousand off but instead he has chosen to use the oldest, most tired cliche of them all. Forum dealers post their pricing and don't give you the sales pitch.

Last edited by bmacZO6; 11-09-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:52 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmacZO6
I would be unthinkable to call you and not tell you he is going to give you a good deal.

He could have easily said they would offer a couple of thousand off but instead he has chosen to use the oldest, most tired cliche of them all. Forum dealers post their pricing and don't give you the sales pitch.
But, forum dealers need to start playing like Dave Smith, $3K off msrp is now what the "Cool" Forum dealers do.... MSRP for a forum dealer is now considered gouging, since you can get msrp anywhere now.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by bevo_87
But, forum dealers need to start playing like Dave Smith, $3K off msrp is now what the "Cool" Forum dealers do.... MSRP for a forum dealer is now considered gouging, since you can get msrp anywhere now.
Says who? $3K off non-Z51 C7s is to move cars, if they need to move cars, or if they want to move cars---nice to see, read and do. But, do you really think all 900 dealers who have allocations need to move cars right away? If that's the case, then, yes, all of them may start discounting. But it's all dependent on the owner and what they want, not what one, or a few, or even a hundred dealers are doing. It is completely up to the wallet, wishes and market area for each dealer.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The car: C7 Corvette convertible - Night Race Blue, Black top with Black interior, standard silver wheels, base option package, 2LT, manual transmission, navigation.

Trade in: 2006 Victory Red Coupe, black interior, polished wheels, 3LT, F55, manual transmission, dual roofs - 12,300 miles. Like new.

I was afraid I wouldn't get book value on trade? Better than!

Last edited by Larry/car; 11-09-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
Says who? $3K off non-Z51 C7s is to move cars, if they need to move cars, or if they want to move cars---nice to see, read and do. But, do you really think all 900 dealers who have allocations need to move cars right away? If that's the case, then, yes, all of them may start discounting. But it's all dependent on the owner and what they want, not what one, or a few, or even a hundred dealers are doing. It is completely up to the wallet, wishes and market area for each dealer.
the goal of any dealer is to move cars as they make nothing if they don't. There are numerous cases going on now where people are starting to cancel orders with local dealers at msrp because they are finding under msrp deals online. Dealers can either move cars and get more allocations or wait it out with msrp or markups and delay making their money. I see car dealers like blockbuster video. This is the day of internet and people can buy all over the US. Don't have to stay local. Dealers provide no value TO ME in buying a car (i say to me, because maybe people need help, i don't). Dealers value is service. I can see where dealers will no longer even sell cars, but just be a service center. It is not like i got to go into a dealer and see a C7 and drive it and they sold me on the value. We are all buying C7s site unseen, where is the value? Prior to internet, meant lack of knowledge, which meant dealers had us all under control because it was painful to travel around to find a deal. Information is golden and information at your fingertips is power. How did blockbuster video not see that when people get stuff online, they don't need you.

Dave Smith Motors is the largest Dodge dealer in the US and they are in Idaho. how do they do it? move cars and sell all over the frickin' US. Smart Smart move. I would love to build a website, have everybody come to me and i would sell cars for $100 over invoice all day long. Pass paper, courtesy deliver and let the local mopes take care of the service. and, i would tell you where your car is in the process so everybody will be excited... Utopia.

Last edited by bevo_87; 11-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:37 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

The car: C7 Corvette convertible - Night Race Blue, Black top with Black interior, standard silver wheels, base option package, 2LT, manual transmission, navigation.

Trade in: 2006 Victory Red Coupe, black interior, polished wheels, 3LT, F55, manual transmission, dual roofs - 12,300 miles. Like new.

If you got "trade" value or above that would be great. Most dealer valuations are stunningly low, but your dealer may have a market for your C6 and is willing to pay more.

I would be curious to know the ACV, meaning what will they hand you in cash to sell them your car outright? Not important if you are buying a car really, just curious.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by bevo_87
the goal of any dealer is to move cars as they make nothing if they don't. There are numerous cases going on now where people are starting to cancel orders with local dealers at msrp because they are finding under msrp deals online. Dealers can either move cars and get more allocations or wait it out with msrp or markups and delay making their money. I see car dealers like blockbuster video. This is the day of internet and people can buy all over the US. Don't have to stay local. Dealers provide no value TO ME in buying a car (i say to me, because maybe people need help, i don't). Dealers value is service. I can see where dealers will no longer even sell cars, but just be a service center. It is not like i got to go into a dealer and see a C7 and drive it and they sold me on the value. We are all buying C7s site unseen, where is the value? Prior to internet, meant lack of knowledge, which meant dealers had us all under control because it was painful to travel around to find a deal. Information is golden and information at your fingertips is power. How did blockbuster video not see that when people get stuff online, they don't need you.

Dave Smith Motors is the largest Dodge dealer in the US and they are in Idaho. how do they do it? move cars and sell all over the frickin' US. Smart Smart move. I would love to build a website, have everybody come to me and i would sell cars for $100 over invoice all day long. Pass paper, courtesy deliver and let the local mopes take care of the service. and, i would tell you where your car is in the process so everybody will be excited... Utopia.

Start YOUR dealership and we'll see how well you do!

Oh, you need a brick and mortar building to start and operate one. And lots of money. And lots of foot traffic (a new C7 sitting unsold for a few months can help in this regard). And the service department you say you'll pass on to other 'mopes'.

Once you start a small dealership and suffer through the economic and other twists and turns, and you grow your dealership to the stature you can peddle cars all over the country at $100 over invoice, your dream world may become a reality.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Oh, you need a brick and mortar building to start and operate one. And lots of money. And lots of foot traffic (a new C7 sitting unsold for a few months can help in this regard). And the service department you say you'll pass on to other 'mopes'.

Once you start a small dealership and suffer through the economic and other twists and turns, and you grow your dealership to the stature you can peddle cars all over the country at $100 over invoice, your dream world may become a reality.
Well said.....some think it's all so simple....try and peddle the 60 sonics that chev jams down your throat and sucks all the profit of the hot cars you are peddling for $100 over...all 6 of them.....
Old 11-09-2013, 06:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I know you paid "MSRP" wink, wink, but how much over the normal price a used car lot would give you for your C6, did he go for? If it's private, I fully understand.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberay
Does anyone remember when the PT Cruiser was introduced and sales were taking place at $20,000 over sticker?
Yep...

Just like any hot new product. The item will bring a premium until supply and demand are met.

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I guess there is a price to pay for being without the car. I respect your position but I drive my MSRP. C7 to the beach, to the mountains to enjoy the colorful trees, and put to dinner on a New York State finger lake. In my opinion that is worth the few thousand a person can save. I bought time with the Corvette , time for life can not be bought.
Yep,.. A great way to look at it is like "time and memories". No one thinks twice about spending thousands on a vacation because you have a great time, lots of fun, and lots of memories. In a crazy kind of way that's kinda what a hot new car gives people that love cars, lots of fun and great memories. And that's really the only thing you can take with you when you kick the bucket.

Have fun and enjoy.

Thanks for the push towards Night Race Blue. I have a Victory Red Cope now, my wife doesn't like Flame Red. She is on board for the C7 - I can live without red. As for price, I could go out and purchase at MSRP but I like the challenge of the deal. It is fun and when I'm spending thousands of dollars it has got to be fun. Some people hate dealing, me I enjoy it immensely. When the deal is finalized it is like a let down. Well I'm getting ready to go to the dealer, markup, holdback, trade in numbers at the ready. The sales person is waiting with coffee!

Lets get ready to rumble !!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:33 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

What's your problem Joe?
Joe's problem is that he is jonesing for a c7 in a terrible way but he cannot afford to buy one so he is constantly ridiculing those who have the funds to be "fools" and purchase one at msrp. Come on Joe do not be jealous, be happy for us fools driving around in our c7 vettes. Life is short sir and you and I are closer every day. Some of us will be dead in 6 months...be a shame spending that time making fun of those who jump in and live life.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Joe's problem is that he is jonesing for a c7 in a terrible way but he cannot afford to buy one so he is constantly ridiculing those who have the funds to be "fools" and purchase one at msrp. Come on Joe do not be jealous, be happy for us fools driving around in our c7 vettes. Life is short sir and you and I are closer every day. Some of us will be dead in 6 months...be a shame spending that time making fun of those who jump in and live life.
LMFAO. My problem is not that I can't afford a C7, but I'm out of room in my two car garage with four cars parked in it. There is absolutely no reason for me to get rid of one of my present four cars to make room for a C7.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:14 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by JoesC5
LMFAO. My problem is not that I can't afford a C7, but I'm out of room in my two car garage with four cars parked in it. There is absolutely no reason for me to get rid of one of my present four cars to make room for a C7.

Which one of these does not belong!? Get rid of the misfit and get a C7 Joe!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default So many sayings, but why waist the time.

Common sense is not so common.

A fool & his money.........................
Theres a sucker....................
ETC.........................

I "ordered" and wrote a check for my 2010 GS, first time I could do that! Bought out of state for the best deal.

I went into JBA Chevrolet in Maryland a few days ago. They had a blue C7 sitting on the floor with a $75K sticker. I said to the salesman, how much? He said $85K. Being ripped off is one thing but "knowing" it is another.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 11-09-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealing Begins!!! Sooner than expected?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Makes no sense because you did not grasp what you supposedly read. i never said i would start a dealership. Like telling somebody to start a blockbuster video store with your love of brick and mortar.. I said i would like to like to start a website once people realize dealers provide no value for a car sale. The only reason anybody "needs" a dealer to buy a C7 is because we have to go through them, our hands are tied because it is the system. a dealer has never "sold" me on a car and certainly not a C7. You might be one who needs direction and attention on purchases. I don't. Most older folks don't understand the internet and what it is doing to companies who don't move with it. The days of dealers "selling' cars is becoming a dinosaur and I expect sooner rather than later, dealers will realize they cannot compete with their old school brick and mortar approach, like blockbuster video. Just ask Blockbuster and all of the other "brick and mortar' stores that don't want to grasp reality. Oh, you can't because they are out of business. Times have moved on. welcome to 2013.... The point of this is if you think you need brick and mortar dealership to bring in traffic to sell cars, you are totally old school and don't know the current environment of life. I buy just about everything online. Including vehicles. Brick and mortar sucks. it is just simply markup. Dealerships value is Service cause i can't go to the internet for that. Get it???

Last edited by bevo_87; 11-09-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Sounds like one sweet car you're putting together.
If you are buying the car at MSRP and the dealer is giving you "book" value for your trade, is the book value "trade-in" value or "private sale" value. The reason I ask is that if it is book "trade-in" value, you got no deal. If it is retail value, well then that's better.
If you go on KBB to get the value of your car, there is one value for trade-in and another for private sale. Obviously the trade-in value can be a few 1,000 lower that if you sold you car outright.
Wish you all the best on your deal. That NRB is a beautiful color. I think I might go for that when I order mine.

BB

Last edited by 427bob; 11-09-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I assumed he meant that he dealer gave him the retail valve not the trade in value for his C6, when he said "book value".

Quick Reply: Dealing Begins!!! Sooner than expected?