Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 1st Gear Clutch Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had no idea GM is using a dual mass flywheel in the C7. IMHO, not a good move.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
RedVett1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car does this too, but I attribute it to me being used to the engagement point from my 2010 SS and not used to where the engagement point is in the C7. I think it engages sooner in the C7 than in the SS.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by armaggedon
Alright thanks for all the help guys.
If you decide to go into the dealership, let me know. I would like to follow up with you and the dealership to make sure that everything is okay.

Keep us all posted,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,461 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
It could be possible someone heated the disc before you got it, just like on a brake rotor it may now have a "hot spot." Could have been during dealer prep or even the car carrier riding the crap out of it while loading/unloading. Just a thought, could even be a defective disc.
That what I was thinking too.

A couple of spirited launches with strong throttle might clean it up.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnPoint
That what I was thinking too.

A couple of spirited launches with strong throttle might clean it up.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,375 Posts

I don't know what direct injection has to do with it. It's still firing on all eight cylinders right?

I've owned dual mass, and non-dual mass flywheel cars. I haven't noticed any difference in clutch chatter. In fact, the worst cars were definitely one-piece flywheels.

Brand new car with bad clutch chatter? I would take it in. Perhaps the flywheel didn't get machined properly. Perhaps a spring is broken on one of the clutch discs, or the disc was burned up while loading it on the truck or rail car. Even a bad engine mount can cause it. It could be any number of sources.

Let us know what you find out.

Michael
Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I don't know what direct injection has to do with it. It's still firing on all eight cylinders right?

I've owned dual mass, and non-dual mass flywheel cars. I haven't noticed any difference in clutch chatter. In fact, the worst cars were definitely one-piece flywheels.

Brand new car with bad clutch chatter? I would take it in. Perhaps the flywheel didn't get machined properly. Perhaps a spring is broken on one of the clutch discs, or the disc was burned up while loading it on the truck or rail car. Even a bad engine mount can cause it. It could be any number of sources.

Let us know what you find out.

Michael
No springs on the clutch discs as they are in the flywheel.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:53 AM
jb306y
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I felt the shudder too, but I'm sure it was traction control causing mine. The tires spun, hooked, spun and hooked when I did a hard run up a highway ramp. Just as soon as it tried to spin the tires, I felt it come back and hook. It wasn't bad, just noticeable like a light tire shake. My dragster ran 1.00 @60' and I know tire shake when it happens... like being inside a paint shaker. ;-)

Last edited by jb306y; 11-28-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:18 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this symptom on my c6 from the day I picked it up from the museum till the day I sold it with 30,000 miles.....drove others and seemed to be normal in design....that car was a 08.

my c7 z51..... Not a shudder or vibration non what so ever....smooth as silk could almost walk out at idle??? I would have it checked out...something must be up with the clutch or flywheel balance??

hope this helps!

Ron
Old 11-28-2013, 10:36 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

This is my first direct injected car and first dual mass flywheel car but I don't really consider myself to be inexperienced with manual vehicles. The reason the shudder is alarming is because it's bad enough that it vibrates the car to the extent that not giving it enough gas and almost stalling it does. Enough to chatter teeth.

Granted, me modulating the clutch hasn't changed from previous vehicles I've driven. It just seems like there's something more to it. Idk.
Well, the first thing I would do is try adjusting your take off rpm's, and finding that exact friction point of the clutch. New set ups take new learning. But it shouldn't be too difficult in this car. There is nothing really to be lost by taking to your local dealer and having them test/inspect it. Better safe than sorry with this drivetrain.

Now, after getting it rolling, are there any issues, noises, vibrations? How bout when accelerating w/ and w/o downshifting? How about when downshifting during acceleration? Does it make any noise at idle in neutral with the foot off the pedal?

If a little more practice doesn't make you any smoother on take off, than I would say there is an issue with the car, and that should be looked at. This seems like a pretty intense, complicated driveline and any irregularity could cause more problems.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:15 AM
JKVIPER
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I had an 69 Vert and a brand new C5 that did the same thing. It never really got any better over time. My buddy had a c5 z06 and his car did not have the issue. It was a slight annoyance and I never really had the dealer look into it.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Yikes!...at least it's covered under warranty...makes me want to order an automatic now...
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

The broken motor mount comment reminded me of something: I discovered that BOTH of my motor mounts on my C5 were missing the nuts that hold them to the crossmember. The engine was basically resting on the crossmember. I don't know whether they were missed during assembly at BG or were taken off later and forgotten, but it wasn't obvious that I had a problem until I reinstalled them.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,665 Likes on 6,658 Posts

Hey guys, new to the forum.

So I have a question and am interested in seeing if anyone else here has experienced the same things I have with their vehicles. There seems to be a terrible clutch/driveline shudder when launching in 1st gear. I mean typical sort of parking lot launching that is very low speed and non-aggressive. I've been contacting dealers to see if they've encountered the issue but none seem to have, and if they have, they aren't telling me about it.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just a lone wolf?
See some folks appear to experiance what you're seeing. For me my C7 Z51 is definitely smoother than my C6, Z51. No chatter, no stalling etc. I attribute the improvement to the dual clutch plates (believe they both have dual mass flywheels.). Perhaps I was used to the C6. Finally found a way to learn to manage the C6 clutch by wearing heavy shoes!! Found, when using driving shoes I was using to light of a touch and trying to carefully slip the clutch when taking off. Give it enough gas and lift the clutch quickly. Once mastered it was no problem. Have always driven a stick and the C6 was a bit different. The C7 is great, at least mine and in my opinion.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-29-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 AM
armaggedon
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Well, the first thing I would do is try adjusting your take off rpm's, and finding that exact friction point of the clutch. New set ups take new learning. But it shouldn't be too difficult in this car. There is nothing really to be lost by taking to your local dealer and having them test/inspect it. Better safe than sorry with this drivetrain.

Now, after getting it rolling, are there any issues, noises, vibrations? How bout when accelerating w/ and w/o downshifting? How about when downshifting during acceleration? Does it make any noise at idle in neutral with the foot off the pedal?

If a little more practice doesn't make you any smoother on take off, than I would say there is an issue with the car, and that should be looked at. This seems like a pretty intense, complicated driveline and any irregularity could cause more problems.
I've played around with takeoff RPM's to the point where I can make it shudder on command.

After it starts rolling, there's no issues or vibrations or anything that isn't supposed to be there. No issues during accel, decel or downshifting etc. No noise at idle either.

I'm seeing if I can take it in sometime this week. I'm really not convinced that it's my driving. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I've driven many many high performance vehicles with manual transmissions which is why the behavior didn't seem correct to me.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Jpiatchek
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Clutch shudder

Hey guys, new to the forum.

So I have a question and am interested in seeing if anyone else here has experienced the same things I have with their vehicles. There seems to be a terrible clutch/driveline shudder when launching in 1st gear. I mean typical sort of parking lot launching that is very low speed and non-aggressive. I've been contacting dealers to see if they've encountered the issue but none seem to have, and if they have, they aren't telling me about it.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just a lone wolf?
Did you ever get this fixed? Mine started doing it at about 4000 miles.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:21 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Yikes!...at least it's covered under warranty...makes me want to order an automatic now...
Exactly. I've been hanging out here for a few months and never heard about any clutch issues until today, when I've seen 3 different threads. These issues sound annoying. Really wanted the M7, but maybe the A8 is my future

Get notified of new replies

To C7 1st Gear Clutch Shudder

Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 AM
bobterryfic
Heel & Toe

My C7 clutch shudder seems to happen on 1st great starts with a cold engine. After a few starts and the engine temp warms, it is smooth. Feed back from the dealer, one of their blow off responses, is "that's the way they all are".
Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 AM
gr814u2c
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobterryfic
My C7 clutch shudder seems to happen on 1st great starts with a cold engine. After a few starts and the engine temp warms, it is smooth. Feed back from the dealer, one of their blow off responses, is "that's the way they all are".
You make it sound like the dealer doesn't want to do warranty work. The dealer gets paid by GM to do work, they would do it if they saw it as a problem.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Remle Bellon
1st Gear

i have a c7 with problen on dripping oil on the engine pssenger side. is anyone have encountered such?

Quick Reply: C7 1st Gear Clutch Shudder