Sponsored by:

From a C6Z51 to non-Z51 C7....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Ketch2631
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default From a C6Z51 to non-Z51 C7....

For those of you that came from a C6 Z51 or Z06 to a non Z51 C7 how much of a difference can you feel in the suspension? Are you happy with the way car handles and feels? I'm not interested in racing the car but love to take my cars out to mountains for a spirited day of driving. With the constraints I'm debating going to a non Z51 but I'm afraid the suspension may be too soft for me. I had a C6 with the Z51 and thought the ride was fine. Kind of hard to decided without being able to test driver either one. I think a lot of people have the same question.

Thanks all!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:36 AM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketch2631
For those of you that came from a C6 Z51 or Z06 to a non Z51 C7 how much of a difference can you feel in the suspension? Are you happy with the way car handles and feels? I'm not interested in racing the car but love to take my cars out to mountains for a spirited day of driving. With the constraints I'm debating going to a non Z51 but I'm afraid the suspension may be too soft for me. I had a C6 with the Z51 and thought the ride was fine. Kind of hard to decided without being able to test driver either one. I think a lot of people have the same question.

Thanks all!
Old 11-29-2013, 04:49 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I just traded my C6 Z51 for a non-Z51 C7. I like the ride of the C7 better than my C6. I think, if you aren't tracking the C7, there is no real need for the Z51. I would have preferred the ability to get the Z51style wheels, but other than that, for a daily driver my C7 is more than adequate. My buddy has a Zr1 and he drove my C7 and said what a better ride it is on the street. My wife also says she prefers the ride of the C7 to my C6. I loved my C6, but my C7 is awesome.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all!
You can always add a few Z51 parts to the base coupe. I find this a good way to get the handling you want without getting a stiff ride. The base model doesn't come with a rear sway bar so your first option might be to get a set of Z51 sway bars from the parts counter. They're pretty cheap. The base car always gives you the softer springs and that's what gives you a good ride.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
You can always add a few Z51 parts to the base coupe. I find this a good way to get the handling you want without getting a stiff ride. The base model doesn't come with a rear sway bar so your first option might be to get a set of Z51 sway bars from the parts counter. They're pretty cheap. The base car always gives you the softer springs and that's what gives you a good ride.
It doesn't come with a rear sway bar (Base C7) ????????????????

My base C6 has a sway bar, all cars come with sway bars Modern day !
Old 11-29-2013, 06:17 AM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP

I had the same reaction but there is no sway bar.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...-not-know.html
Old 11-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP

Check it out for yourself!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Unreal
Old 11-29-2013, 08:02 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

I had non-Z51 C6, I hated the floaty feel to it, I added the Z51 strut bars and it helped a little. I am glad I went with the Z51, always useful when needed
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Vic T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Non Z51 C7 does not have a rear sway bar. Has a very slightly smaller diameter front bar, but no bar in the back. Engineers felt that the transverse composite spring did an adequate job.
Another key is 35mm dia. shocks front and back, vs. 45/46mm for the Z51.
Also, the factory Michelins are slightly different. The base Stingray has a slightly more compliant ride due to different compounds and sidewall construction.
I ordered a base 3LT as well, since I want it for a daily driver and will never track it.
Can't go too wrong either way, though, IMO.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 PM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
I had the same reaction but there is no sway bar.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...-not-know.html
Sway bars are "crutches"! If the car has adequate spring rates and proper shocks, for street use you don't need no stinkin' sway bars!

I do not have the Z-51 option and while the ride is very comfortable, it still handles great! If I was going to seriously compete in track events, then I would consider the Z-51 option with the magnetic shocks.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:20 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by sccaracer46
Sway bars are "crutches"! If the car has adequate spring rates and proper shocks, for street use you don't need no stinkin' sway bars!

I do not have the Z-51 option and while the ride is very comfortable, it still handles great! If I was going to seriously compete in track events, then I would consider the Z-51 option with the magnetic shocks.
100%...And even in some tracking situations (damp weather or elevations) the loose or no sway bar approach ...might be the way to go,..it helps eliminate wheelspin.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks all!
I came from a C6 Z06 and C4 C5 and C6 Z51's. This 2014 C7 is the first base suspension Corvette that I've ordered. The car will be driven a lot of miles in all conditions and I wanted it as simple and light as possible. No need for faster wearing tires or dusty squeaky brakes or extra coolers and oil capacity. Been there done that. Those things are cool to have on a car that isn't driven much but they add to overall operating costs as you pile on the miles and after the warranty expires.

I was concerned that the car would be soft or floaty like previous base Corvettes. What a pleasant surprise, there's no float. Yet driving on worn concrete interstates there is none of that constant hip-hop over the expansion strips either. Just a pleasant controlled ride.

I've traveled through 9 states so far and some great twisty roads. Although all cars lean, even Z51's, you are not aware of any when pushing it hard through switchbacks. And when you hit a bump mid-corner the car stays planted. It doesn't do a little side step like previous stiffer Corvettes. Possibly the absence of a rear bar allows the suspension to absorb such irregularities with less drama? We know MRC-equipped Corvettes do well in such conditions but it's amazing how good the base car is.

You can drive fast over really bad roads and the ride is great. Solid, not a trace of any creak, squeak, or rattle at 5000 miles.

Last edited by ZL-1; 12-01-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
I came from a C6 Z06 and C4 C5 and C6 Z51's. This 2014 C7 is the first base suspension Corvette that I've ordered. The car will be driven a lot of miles in all conditions and I wanted it as simple and light as possible. No need for faster wearing tires or dusty squeaky brakes or extra coolers and oil capacity. Been there done that. Those things are cool to have on a car that isn't driven much but they add to overall operating costs as you pile on the miles and after the warranty expires.

I was concerned that the car would be soft or floaty like previous base Corvettes. What a pleasant surprise, there's no float. Yet driving on worn concrete interstates there is none of that constant hip-hop over the expansion strips either. Just a pleasant controlled ride.

I've traveled through 9 states so far and some great twisty roads. Although all cars lean, even Z51's, you are not aware of any when pushing it hard through switchbacks. And when you hit a bump mid-corner the car stays planted. It doesn't do a little side step like previous stiffer Corvettes. Possibly the absence of a rear bar allows the suspension to absorb such irregularities with less drama? We know MRC-equipped Corvettes do well in such conditions but it's amazing how good the base car is.

You can drive fast over really bad roads and the ride is great. Solid, not a trace of any creak, squeak, or rattle at 5000 miles.

Thanks for your review of the base suspension. This is the second review I've read saying the standard suspension isn't floaty, which was my criticism of the base C5 I owned. Saving close to $5k inc.taxes on the MRC and Z51 combo is a big plus since I don't plan on tracking the car.

Get notified of new replies

To From a C6Z51 to non-Z51 C7....

Quick Reply: From a C6Z51 to non-Z51 C7....