Sponsored by:

Lowering on stock bolts - Instructions and Photos

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Z51 John
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by nikeair042
What, if any, are the negatives to this? Increased wear on parts? Potential issues of something breaking? Why didnt GM just do this from the factory?
None that i know of. I lowered it went back to the dealership. They told me my alignment was off and adjusted it back to factory specs. That's was it....

Last edited by Z51 John; 06-23-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:26 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I have a question. Sorry I didn't read through all of the 20 pages here to see if this was addressed before. What I don't get is why do this? I mean the vette is already a bottom feeder and there are numerous threads about how to protect your car from bottoming out on things like driveways. Looking at the before and after photos I don't see that much of a difference. So what's the purpose really? Cosmetic? Or are their performance advantages? And after you do this what additional things do you need to do to avoid scraping the bottom of your car?
Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 70 Posts

No negatives other than a little rubbing of the rub strip on steep driveways. GM cant do at factory because cars would be too low for the transporters....
Old 06-23-2017, 12:30 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
I have a question. Sorry I didn't read through all of the 20 pages here to see if this was addressed before. What I don't get is why do this? I mean the vette is already a bottom feeder and there are numerous threads about how to protect your car from bottoming out on things like driveways. Looking at the before and after photos I don't see that much of a difference. So what's the purpose really? Cosmetic? Or are their performance advantages? And after you do this what additional things do you need to do to avoid scraping the bottom of your car?
Def cosmetic improvement from factory adjusted height - and anytime the center of gravity gets lower your handling is better.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Gary2016
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have what may seem like a dumb question but when turning the bolts they rise I get that but at what point do you stop? Will they actually come out if you continue to turn them? I apologize for the ignorance but curious as I don't ant to mess anything up.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Looking at the before and after photos I don't see that much of a difference. So what's the purpose really? Cosmetic?
In a lot of the after photos I think people are taking the picture too soon, before the suspension has had time to fully settle as I have found it takes about 500 miles after an adjustment before it fully settles. With just turning the bolts alone you should see almost an inch of drop, but if you cut the bushings you can see another 1/2" or so. I've got the bolts on the front of my C6 all the way down, and a portion of the rear bushings cut so mine definitely looks a lot lower than stock. That's the main purpose, the stock ride height shows far too much gap in the wheel well and a lot of us just find that look awful. I have had my C6 lowered for about 3 years now with no problems, tire wear is still perfect (I had mine aligned) and no suspension problems. You do have be careful over speed bumps and entering some driveways but it's not that much of a problem.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Z51 John
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary2016
I have what may seem like a dumb question but when turning the bolts they rise I get that but at what point do you stop? Will they actually come out if you continue to turn them? I apologize for the ignorance but curious as I don't ant to mess anything up.

They will not come out. they will bottom out and stop when you can't go any more.

As to why...
Love the lower look, gives it a better attitude.
I have had 0 issues bottoming out....
Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 PM
chronage
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

So GM will do an alignment for free if you lower it to the bottom of factory spec? Ive got 2800 mi on my '16.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by chronage
So GM will do an alignment for free if you lower it to the bottom of factory spec? Ive got 2800 mi on my '16.
Who said that?

There have been some who have been able to swing an alignment (on GM's dime) before 7500 miles, but the bolts and lowering them don't have anything to do with it.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:09 PM
chronage
Racer

Originally Posted by owc6
Who said that?

There have been some who have been able to swing an alignment (on GM's dime) before 7500 miles, but the bolts and lowering them don't have anything to do with it.
The supposed <7500 mi free alignment is what i'm referring to. Post-lowering it may need an alignment.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Z51 John
Racer

Originally Posted by owc6
Who said that?

My car had very little miles when I did it the dealership I purchased it did it while I was having it updated for a a few things......
Old 06-23-2017, 08:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The supposed <7500 mi free alignment is what i'm referring to. Post-lowering it may need an alignment.
Gotcha!

Post-lowering, mine needed one badly, and 500 miles later it needed an other (I could feel it starting to pull to the right as the miles went on), but has been good since. I don't know right off the top of my head but ~ 20,000 miles.
chronage (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:30 PM
chronage
Racer

Originally Posted by Z51 John
My car had very little miles when I did it the dealership I purchased it did it while I was having it updated for a a few things......
Did you just ask them to check the alignment for some arbitrary reason? I assume you didnt say "I lowered my car, align it for free please"
Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Z51 John
Racer

Did you just ask them to check the alignment for some arbitrary reason? I assume you didnt say "I lowered my car, align it for free please"
Just told them car felt funny going down the highway. Thet were more than happy to look at it. Its factory bolts. Even if you lowered it they can bring it back to the correct settings.
chronage (06-23-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Read a lot of this thread before I did the lowering. I was going to do it regardless of whatever concerns a lot of people had. My 16 Z51 non mag ride car was all over the place in terms of where the bolts were from the factory. I mean like it was a totally noticeable difference in how each bolt was positioned.

IF your on the fence about it at least just take a look under the car and make aure your bolts are all at the same height.

I left a few threads on the driver side front n back so when I get my fat *** in the car it won't be tipping to one side (j/k) but the thought did cross my mind.

Overall your totally safe on the stock bolts fully lowered. My 2014 EVO X totally stock suspension has less ground to front bumper clearance THEN THE VETTE thats fully lowered.

A few beers and 30 min of your time should do the trick. Honestly you guys, too much wheel gap is just nasty!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Maximus68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Lowered my Z51 w/MRC all the way down this morning and couldn't have been easier! Working alone, I had all 4 corners done in 15 minutes. Looks great will no ill effect to ride quality.

Thread I've since made, I used hockey pucks rather than jacking pucks to lift the car: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...key-pucks.html
How exactly did you lower the car
Did you only use one jack and one puck and go from wheel to wheel?
Old 09-03-2017, 02:42 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maximus68
How exactly did you lower the car
Did you only use one jack and one puck and go from wheel to wheel?
yes.

be careful though man, I dropped mine all the way and the little air deflectors scrape on every damn thing. Driveways will make you cringe. You will hate speed bumps.. just to give you a real world idea of how low this actually goes...

that's pretty low bro. That cancer stick box barely clears. It might become a real annoyance. I'm always thinking I'm ripping off the front of the car no matter how careful I am.

To date no bumper damage, but I cringe every time.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering on stock bolts - Instructions and Photos

Old 09-03-2017, 02:45 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Scraping those rubber air dams doesn't matter. I'm lowered all the way on stock bolts and it's no big deal.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:52 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Also, just to add.. it makes it a hell of a lot easier if you have a set of these
countless uses. Everyone should have a set, period. It just takes off so much time from super simple jobs. And it inexpensive. Seriously
Old 09-03-2017, 02:54 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by fugly1
Scraping those rubber air dams doesn't matter. I'm lowered all the way on stock bolts and it's no big deal.
do you have a front lip on the car? A lot of people add them after the fact and SOME are almost as low as those rubber deflectors... just saying. Thinking about the future.

Quick Reply: Lowering on stock bolts - Instructions and Photos