Sponsored by:

Thinking About Canceling my Order

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking About Canceling my Order

I've had a heavily constrained coup order placed since Oct. 4 with a dealer that has allocation (I'm one of his first round of allocations). It's a very small dealer and I ordered from them because they were great about letting me test drive the car (this will be my first Corvette).

When I ordered the car they estimated 4 months - it's been 4 months and I'm still at 1100.

I'm seriously thinking that if I don't go to 2000 tomorrow I'm going to go get my deposit back and place an order with one of the volume dealers (sponsor) who's told me he can get the car this spring.

Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I think your thoughts are pretty rational. Look around...this is happening to lots of people who placed deposits with smaller dealers that have few cars allocated to them. Some dealers took deposits for far more cars than they were allocated and are now scrambling to find cars and are, in fact, calling the larger dealers in hopes of getting one of their allocations. Dave from Kerbeck put up a post about this in the section a day or so ago.

Some of the larger dealers have plenty of cars in stock including base and Z51 cars. Many of us have had very good experiences working with forum dealers (Criswell, Kerbeck, Coughlin, etc.).
Good luck.
S.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Thoughts - where do you live? Could you be driving the car now if you had it in your possession? Have you spoken to your dealer often to explain your concerns? Do you TRUST your dealer? Will you have a hassle obtaining the vehicle from a volume dealer? Will they be able to do any better for you since the real issue may be the content of your desired build? There's a few thoughts for you.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

At this point it would be tempting to pull the order and then place one for '15 model and get a year newer car (altho you wouldn't have it by spring; could probably have it by mid-summer, tho).
Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 PM
onthebottom
Pro

I live in OH - if I have the car by the time my taxes are due I'm very happy.

I've thought about the 15 but don't know if I'm willing to get back in a rush line again and lose half a driving season.

I don't really know the dealer, they seem like good guys - I'm dealing with the top guy who's name isn't on the sign, I have their 3rd allocation but franking I don't think they know any more than I do.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

At this point in time I'm sticking with my local dealer. My place orders with large dealers and then ship the car or drive hundreds of miles to get it home. Not me! The car will be build sometime in the future or an alternate solution will be found. The dealer has allocations, I am first on the list and expect a car before the end of the model year.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

You might just go to the Chevy website enter what color and options etc you are looking for find a car and go buy it.
I decided one weekend in December I wanted a C7, I went on the website and found 2. The 1st one I called on was sold, the 2nd one was available the wife and I went and picked it up that Friday. So in less than a week I found what I wanted and bought it home.
Good luck either way.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Dave@gotboostPerf
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just order from a large dealer and have it shipped. I decided to buy one 5 weeks ago, so I ordered from MacMulkin in NH and I live in Oregon......3000 miles difference. I found the exact car I wanted that MacMulkin had ordered for stock. I bought it on a Friday, it was built on the following Monday, and I took delivery of it via enclosed car transport last Thursday. Totally smooth experience and only waited after I bought it a little over 4 weeks.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:10 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave@gotboostPerf
Just order from a large dealer and have it shipped. I decided to buy one 5 weeks ago, so I ordered from MacMulkin in NH and I live in Oregon......3000 miles difference. I found the exact car I wanted that MacMulkin had ordered for stock. I bought it on a Friday, it was built on the following Monday, and I took delivery of it via enclosed car transport last Thursday. Totally smooth experience and only waited after I bought it a little over 4 weeks.
I live 90 minutes from a very large dealer and my early correspondence and rep here are very positive.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Guys, there is no reason to wait month after month with nothing to show for it but a relatively meaningless piece of paper. I gave up on my local dealer in July and ordered from Rick Conti/Coughlin. I took delivery October 11. Rick or one of the other forum dealers can make it happen for you. Why wait for a dealer who can't even get production scheduled?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mksz51
Thoughts - where do you live? Could you be driving the car now if you had it in your possession? Have you spoken to your dealer often to explain your concerns? Do you TRUST your dealer? Will you have a hassle obtaining the vehicle from a volume dealer? Will they be able to do any better for you since the real issue may be the content of your desired build? There's a few thoughts for you.

The above underlined and the trust you have for the dealer are, to me, prime questions that only you can answer. However, it also needs to be said that some of the more "volume" dealers can get things done, and done in a more timely manner. Even with all the constraints, cars have been built with constrained items, albeit very slowly and very few. This means whoever is inputting and knowledge of the system is paramount at this time. Maybe not six months or a year from now, but right now and most likely for the past four months? yes.

Still, I would agree that if you really want the car optioned the way you want it, a different dealer with more allocation and possibly more savvy will help you reach that result faster.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onthebottom
I've had a heavily constrained coup order placed since Oct. 4 with a dealer that has allocation (I'm one of his first round of allocations). It's a very small dealer and I ordered from them because they were great about letting me test drive the car (this will be my first Corvette).

When I ordered the car they estimated 4 months - it's been 4 months and I'm still at 1100.

I'm seriously thinking that if I don't go to 2000 tomorrow I'm going to go get my deposit back and place an order with one of the volume dealers (sponsor) who's told me he can get the car this spring.

Thoughts?
if you have not done this, call (or, go on line) to look at the big guys inventories. if they have something close to what you want, buy it. take the next plane there, have it by week end, enjoy the ride home in your new C7. email the dofuss if you have any other "life" type queries.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your order a 15', you'll probably miss most if not all the summer. Did you ever see what's on the dealers' lots? My "small" locall dealer has all kinds of configurations just waiting to be sold. (about 25). Good luck.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 AM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BERETTA
You might just go to the Chevy website enter what color and options etc you are looking for find a car and go buy it.
I decided one weekend in December I wanted a C7, I went on the website and found 2. The 1st one I called on was sold, the 2nd one was available the wife and I went and picked it up that Friday. So in less than a week I found what I wanted and bought it home.
Good luck either way.
Went to local dealer New Years Eve to get a firm trade price on my GS and possibly order a car(was already concerned about delivery) ended up buying a Premier Edition they had & getting a great trade price on my GS (45k) Now instead of wondering about delivery, I'm polishing my car, and waiting for spring.

Wait a minute................. I'm still waiting
Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I think you almost have to go mega-dealer. I gave all the locals within a 50 mile radius a shot at me and it was clear I was going to be frustrated. I connected with a large dealer 4 hours away a few weeks ago. I have a TPW of 2/17 right now.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snorman
I think your thoughts are pretty rational. Look around...this is happening to lots of people who placed deposits with smaller dealers that have few cars allocated to them. Some dealers took deposits for far more cars than they were allocated and are now scrambling to find cars and are, in fact, calling the larger dealers in hopes of getting one of their allocations. Dave from Kerbeck put up a post about this in the section a day or so ago.

Some of the larger dealers have plenty of cars in stock including base and Z51 cars. Many of us have had very good experiences working with forum dealers (Criswell, Kerbeck, Coughlin, etc.).
Good luck.
S.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:03 AM
rocket68
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebottom
I live in OH - if I have the car by the time my taxes are due I'm very happy.

I've thought about the 15 but don't know if I'm willing to get back in a rush line again and lose half a driving season.

I don't really know the dealer, they seem like good guys - I'm dealing with the top guy who's name isn't on the sign, I have their 3rd allocation but franking I don't think they know any more than I do.
Just my 2 cents worth. If you are in Ohio, there are two major dealers in Ohio that can get you what you want or may have it in stock. I am dealing with Rick at Coughlin and he has been right on target with my order. Placed on 12/31/13 and I have a TPW of 2/17. Means I should get the car by early March at the latest. Best of luck in getting the car of your dreams.

Last edited by rocket68; 01-30-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking About Canceling my Order

Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

it's been 4 months and I'm still at 1100.
calling CF order guru's...

Is 4 months below 2000 a GM problem, or a dealer-without-allocations problem ?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
calling CF order guru's...

Is 4 months below 2000 a GM problem, or a dealer-without-allocations problem ?
It is a GM problem with their screwed up system. This is my sixth new car order and the first that took this long without results. Something is not the same in the system as when I placed my C6 order. That process took about six weeks.
Another thing we are forgetting; we lost about a month due to the holiday season, first time I ordered through the holidays. If I discount the holidays my order has been in place two months.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Why waste time. We all know by now, it's the ALLOCATIONS that count. No allocations, you sit there twiddling your thumbs. The well known top forum dealers, who do a large volume, get the allocations. If you don't care when it gets there, then just stay with the small potatoes local guy. Otherwise, maybe it's time to quit screwing around, and call a big forum dealer and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Canceling my Order