C7 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C7 products, services and promotions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:48 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry49er
I received my kit this week and got my new Z51 in yesterday. Installing the CAGS today I encountered a problem. The CAGS defeat plug snaps into the transmission just fine. However the black protective cover for the factory wiring harness does not snap onto the harness. Inside the protective cover there is a black "tooth" right between the two metal pins. Without modifying it there is no way it will snap onto the factory plug. Anyone else have this issue?
Someone else mentioned this same problem and had to remove the piece blocking the connection.

Hopefully we get information as to whether it is just a few defective items with this flaw or if there is an issue with the connector. I haven't installed mine yet and don't really want to go through the process until I know if it is an issue. I have a small black tooth too but it is really small and I don't know that it would interfere... Southern Car Parts, any comments?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Proctoman
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I too had this issue. I lifted my Stingray yesterday and easily found the connector on the tranny. The provided plug easily snapped onto the tranny. However, the tooth inside the CAGS sensor does not fit the wire harness. I ended up trimming away the portion of the tooth that attached to the side of the sensor. This centered the tooth and allowed me to snap the sensor onto the harness. I zip tied it up and went for a test drive. It worked perfectly, no more shift skipping. It is curious that SCPs is shipping these sensors that do not technically fit our cars.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Got mine in today

Was supposed to be picking my C7 up this Monday in MD...but if it snows there I can't go until Friday

Can't wait to get my car and to put this in
Old 03-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Proctoman
I too had this issue. I lifted my Stingray yesterday and easily found the connector on the tranny. The provided plug easily snapped onto the tranny. However, the tooth inside the CAGS sensor does not fit the wire harness. I ended up trimming away the portion of the tooth that attached to the side of the sensor. This centered the tooth and allowed me to snap the sensor onto the harness. I zip tied it up and went for a test drive. It worked perfectly, no more shift skipping. It is curious that SCPs is shipping these sensors that do not technically fit our cars.
Perhaps GM has made a change in the connector mid run?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:58 PM
jerry49er
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proctoman good to hear

I did the same thing. I used a dremel on the piece of the tooth that attached to the wall. Made it match the plug. For people willing to spend a little time modifying this won't be that big of an issue. But there must have been a plug change because I can promise you it will not go in without trimming that tooth. I haven't got a chance to test mine out since its raining today.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Proctoman
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jerry49er
I did the same thing. I used a dremel on the piece of the tooth that attached to the wall. Made it match the plug. For people willing to spend a little time modifying this won't be that big of an issue. But there must have been a plug change because I can promise you it will not go in without trimming that tooth. I haven't got a chance to test mine out since its raining today.
Good for you. Pretty easy fix. I actually used an exacto knife to trim the tooth. Even though I have eliminated the skip shift, I still get the dash message that says it is skip shifting. When you get a chance to test yours out let me know if you are still getting the dash message also.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:48 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Good for you. Pretty easy fix. I actually used an exacto knife to trim the tooth. Even though I have eliminated the skip shift, I still get the dash message that says it is skip shifting. When you get a chance to test yours out let me know if you are still getting the dash message also.
That's normal... it doesn't eliminate the warning message.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:48 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by daytonagary
My friend has had is C7 for 4 months with over 2000 miles of almost all city driving and never had the 1-4 shift problem arise at all except for two times when he was doing his best to cause the problem. drove over 30 minutes around town trying to force it one day and it never did do it so he isn't buying a kit for his. I have a C7 coming and already have bought the eliminator but probably won't install mine either since it is a virtual non issue.
Cags defeat of one version or another has been around for 15 years or more and almost every GM car with a stick uses it and you and your little fiend say its non issue....

ps When it does show it will almost invariably be at a bad time for it to happen.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 03-15-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gthal
The only way to remove the warning is a tune...a tune will remove the skip shift AND the warning...
Old 03-16-2014, 12:24 AM
Proctoman
Heel & Toe

Thank you kind sir.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 AM
Fast Mojo
Cruising

Someone else mentioned this same problem and had to remove the piece blocking the connection.

Hopefully we get information as to whether it is just a few defective items with this flaw or if there is an issue with the connector. I haven't installed mine yet and don't really want to go through the process until I know if it is an issue. I have a small black tooth too but it is really small and I don't know that it would interfere... Southern Car Parts, any comments?
I sent them an email, but haven't heard from them yet. This is what it looks like incase anyone is interested.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Fast Mojo
I sent them an email, but haven't heard from them yet. This is what it looks like incase anyone is interested.
The one they send me does NOT look like that. I wonder if it was a bad batch? Mine doesn't have the plastic center piece at all.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:50 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

The computer is still sending a signal to the 2nd, 3rd blocking solenoid so the light will be lit. You just disconnected the power to the solenoid and a resistor in the long part of the skip shift eliminator makes the computer think it did its job!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-16-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

800+ miles on my C7 and I have YET to see CAGS enforced. Not once.

Thinking about selling my never installed CAGS eliminator.....
Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
800+ miles on my C7 and I have YET to see CAGS enforced. Not once.

Thinking about selling my never installed CAGS eliminator.....
It won’t come on unless you’re trying to shift below 15 to 18 mph. Doesn’t happen often but I found it happens at the worst time! If you’re in stop and go traffic and want to shift out of first, when you go to shift and not expecting it won’t go into 2nd, the car slows. The person behind you, (who may have decided it was a good time to answer a text) expects your car to be moving forward - not slowing! It is very annoying and frankly I don’t look for lights telling me I must shift to 4th! Well worth the small cost and is an easy install.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-16-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

The one they send me does NOT look like that. I wonder if it was a bad batch? Mine doesn't have the plastic center piece at all.

Mine doesn't have it either.

BTW - At least the Black piece is circumcised. One less thing to deal with when trying to install it.

Last edited by Second Vette; 03-16-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: levity...
Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

If you have had a post deleted in this thread it is because you have violated one or more of the following rules:

Interference in a For Sale thread (yes, this is a for sale thread - they don't have to be in the for sale sections to qualify - read the sticky Vendor threads in C7 General)

Online Conflicts

Personal attacks/hostility towards others

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Hey guys, we had a few c6 ship instead of c7....so if you got one that didn't snap into place WE WILL REPLACE FOR FREE, just shoot us an email or call. This will not happen again. We've got the in stock and ready to ship.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Fast Mojo
Cruising

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Hey guys, we had a few c6 ship instead of c7....so if you got one that didn't snap into place WE WILL REPLACE FOR FREE, just shoot us an email or call. This will not happen again. We've got the in stock and ready to ship.
Thanks for the quick response. They had my issue taken care of first thing this morning.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
How do we tell exactly if we got the C7 one?

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!