C7 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C7 products, services and promotions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Gbrent
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I modified my non-fitting black plug. Works fine. Is there any reason to replace my 'custom' black cap with the correct cap?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Proctoman
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gbrent
I modified my non-fitting black plug. Works fine. Is there any reason to replace my 'custom' black cap with the correct cap?
I too would like to know this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Do you have install instructions?
In previous years the hardest part was getting under the car, once you are under it is as simple as plugging in a cell phone charger into the the cigarette lighter plug
Old 03-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Proctoman
I too would like to know this.

Thanks in advance.
Anyone?? Beuller???

Old 03-20-2014, 10:23 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Originally Posted by Gbrent
Our C7 skip shift eliminator kit comes with everything you need to install without modifications. We did have some issues with the incorrect skip shift being sent for the C7's but that issue has been fixed.

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
In previous years the hardest part was getting under the car, once you are under it is as simple as plugging in a cell phone charger into the the cigarette lighter plug
Once you are under the car installation is simple. Here is a video on the install process.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Does the CAGS actually block the shifter from going to 2nd gear, so when you try to put in 2nd gear the "gate" is blocked and you have to move the shifter horizontally to the right and then down to find 4th gear? Or does the CAGS actually work so the shifter goes "diagonally" down to 4th gear?

Last edited by fumbling; 03-23-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:52 AM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumbling
Does the CAGS actually prevent the shifter from going to 2nd gear, so when you try to put in 2nd gear the "gate" is blocked and you have to move the shifter horizontally to the right and then down to find 4th gear? Or does the CAGS actually work so the shifter goes "diagonally" down to 4th gear?
Without an eliminator, you are blocked from fully getting it to 2nd and left fumbling to find 3rd or 4th or hopelessly trying to grind it back into 1st
Old 03-23-2014, 06:05 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Our C7 skip shift eliminator kit comes with everything you need to install without modifications. We did have some issues with the incorrect skip shift being sent for the C7's but that issue has been fixed.

Once you are under the car installation is simple. Here is a video on the install process.

C7 Corvette CAGS Skip Shift Eliminator Installation Video.
For those of us who recently ordered can you please tell us (Show us) what the correct part is supposed to look like so we don't waste time going under the car with the wrong (C6 instead of C7) part??

A couple of us have asked this and we have no response, perhaps you missed the posting.

Please respond.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
For those of us who recently ordered can you please tell us (Show us) what the correct part is supposed to look like so we don't waste time going under the car with the wrong (C6 instead of C7) part??

A couple of us have asked this and we have no response, perhaps you missed the posting.

Please respond.

Thanks
Hi
We sent our 4 C6 units, last one shipped 2 weeks ago. So if you ordered in past 2 weeks you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you
Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Hi
We sent our 4 C6 units, last one shipped 2 weeks ago. So if you ordered in past 2 weeks you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you
So, other than the cap not fitting correctly (which I modified to make fit) is the internal resistor / functionality still correct?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:26 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecholova
Without an eliminator, you are blocked from fully getting it to 2nd and left fumbling to find 3rd or 4th or hopelessly trying to grind it back into 1st
That sounds incredibly dangerous and something that is likely to cause accidents especially if you have no idea when it will happen, that's like intermittent sudden de-celeration when you can't get it into gear and have to coast when people are expecting you to accelerate. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen in stop and go traffic. Can dealers or independent Corvette shops install the eliminator?

Last edited by fumbling; 03-23-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:30 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

That sounds incredibly dangerous and something that is likely to cause accidents especially if you have no idea when it will happen, that's like intermittent sudden de-celeration when you can't get it into gear and have to coast when people are expecting you to accelerate.
Yes and no. If you are driving the car "aggressively" the 2nd gear block is avoided so you can shift normally. The block is engaged with light throttle conditions - if you have trouble finding a gear the car is still coasting forward. Not that big of a deal.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:59 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

That sounds incredibly dangerous and something that is likely to cause accidents especially if you have no idea when it will happen, that's like intermittent sudden de-celeration when you can't get it into gear and have to coast when people are expecting you to accelerate. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen in stop and go traffic. Can dealers or independent Corvette shops install the eliminator?
I you’re in stop and go traffic, it is a problem, in my opinion-mostly for the cars rear end! We don’t have much stop and go in our area so I seldom had the shift block. However when I was and shifted out of 1st below 15 to 18 mph, it was blocked (it’s actually blocked from 2nd and 3rd) when I wasn’t expecting and the you’re correct I was fumbling! Especially today when some folks are using their cell phone to text, in stop and go traffic they may feel it’s a perfect time to answer a text message! If they are expecting you to move forward and they are distracted, when you hesitate it could be an issue! It is an inexpensive purchase and easy install. I found I could slip between a jack stand, with a jack pad installed in the left rear shipping slot, and the rear tire and gain access to reach up to the connector. You will need to jack up the rear to insert the jack stand. Also let the car cool off since you’re operating near an exhaust pipe!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-23-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Pschwab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered mine too
Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Pschwab
Just ordered mine too

Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM
brandin10
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I have to say the 1-4 skip can be really annoying at times.

Need install instructions.
I find that if you carry your rpm above 3000 - 3500 rpm before shifting to second there is never an issue. There is actually a message that comes up on the HUD that flashes off as soon as a certain RPM is exceeded.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by brandin10
I find that if you carry your rpm above 3000 - 3500 rpm before shifting to second there is never an issue. There is actually a message that comes up on the HUD that flashes off as soon as a certain RPM is exceeded.
It’s not normally an issue but that is part of the problem since you are not expecting it to happen! When in stop and go traffic, shifting out of 1st below 15 to 18 mph will cause it to block shifting to 2nd or 3rd. When not expecting it to happen, I have fumbled and the car slows. In todays world with some folks texting while driving, that could mean the person behind you, who is distracted and wasn’t expecting you to suddenly slow down, hits your rear!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Have had my CAGS eliminator for a couple weeks now and haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Then again, I haven't had the car ONCE enforce CAGS yet anyway. ......
I was going to buy one but I just drove my car almost 1,000 miles from NH to SC and haven't had the CAG activate yet
Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 AM
daytonagary
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
I was going to buy one but I just drove my car almost 1,000 miles from NH to SC and haven't had the CAG activate yet
same here with me and every one I have talked to with C7. Seemed to be an almost mandatory thing to buy with the C6 and other GM cars with the 6 speed but the C7 must be programmed with such a small window of forcing the 1-4 shift that it is not a problem. Lady at car show last week said she seen it on dash light that the 1-4 shift would be on but she shifted fine into second even with the light on dash.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by daytonagary
same here with me and every one I have talked to with C7. Seemed to be an almost mandatory thing to buy with the C6 and other GM cars with the 6 speed but the C7 must be programmed with such a small window of forcing the 1-4 shift that it is not a problem. Lady at car show last week said she seen it on dash light that the 1-4 shift would be on but she shifted fine into second even with the light on dash.
99% of the time, that’s correct, it won’t be a factor, however that 1% could cause problems! In my case we don’t have much bumper to bumper traffic. However when we did for a short run, I went to shift to second at about 15 mph, I was blocked and since it doesn’t happen often I was fumbling before I got it into 4th (note both 2nd and 3rd are blocked!) In today’s world with folks distracted on the cell phones or worse responding like “Pavlov’s dogs” to a text message, that could have been the time a person behind was looking down to dial or read a text and not expecting my car to slow quickly! The problem isn’t that it happens often but it is such a low price, much cheaper and less frustrating than a tap in the rear!
To each his own, but that is my opinion.

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Stingray Skip Shift Eliminator - CAGS - 1 to 4 eliminator!