Sponsored by:

Comp Seats - Updated Assessement(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:56 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Fugitive C7
I had my GT seats out and sitting right next to my comp seats, they look exactly the same from every angle that i looked at. According to a post someone had where they were changing their seats to comp seats by purchasing the parts that are different through the dealer, the parts book lists only the back part as different. Have you looked to check that (he could be wrong), or do you just "know" ?
Carravaggio confirmed the foam is different in the base of the seats. There are also more "sections". They look very similar but are NOT the same.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Fugitive C7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Yeah, those look the same to someone blind, not paying attention or can't count to 4. Sounds like someone showed you a faulty parts book.
So, your claiming that the foam is different based on these pictures because "you know", you also know that the parts book was faulty because "you know". I'm pretty sure mine had the same number of bars, i didn't "count them" but with them both out of the car, and sitting side by side i looked pretty close, probably woudl have noticed that. And, if the leather wrap was different by having another line of thread sewn across them, how that that qualify you to "know" the foam is different.

I bet you've never seen them both in front of oyu in person, i bet you've never checked the parts book either, however you "know"

Not that i cant be wrong here, but for the parts book, I'm going by the post with the guy who had done the parts book research, who was converting to the Comp seats via parts ordering, as well as my own personal experience with both side by side. However YOU "KNOW" because you looked at a picture on the internet... Again, check the parts book, I'm happy to be wrong, wasn't my research, maybe i missed the extra stitching, or maybe mine weren't different.. But, I'm basing what i say on some valid experiences, your basing it on a single picture on the internet.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

So, your claiming that the foam is different based on these pictures because "you know", you also know that the parts book was faulty because "you know". I'm pretty sure mine had the same number of bars, i didn't "count them" but with them both out of the car, and sitting side by side i looked pretty close, probably woudl have noticed that. And, if the leather wrap was different by having another line of thread sewn across them, how that that qualify you to "know" the foam is different.

I bet you've never seen them both in front of oyu in person, i bet you've never checked the parts book either, however you "know"

Not that i cant be wrong here, but for the parts book, I'm going by the post with the guy who had done the parts book research, who was converting to the Comp seats via parts ordering, as well as my own personal experience with both side by side. However YOU "KNOW" because you looked at a picture on the internet... Again, check the parts book, I'm happy to be wrong, wasn't my research, maybe i missed the extra stitching, or maybe mine weren't different.. But, I'm basing what i say on some valid experiences, your basing it on a single picture on the internet.
Wow, so hostile.

Yes, I have seen both and sat in both and I own the comp seats. They are different and firmer. See gthal's post above about Carravaggio's findings if you don't believe me.

I'm sorry you don't have as keen an eye as I do, but I spent many years in quality management.

My advice is to quit "betting" and assuming, you're not good at it.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:08 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I'm not sure why this matters so much to you but GM themselves have noted that the competition seats have a denser foam... I believe 30% denser but I'd have to go back and find the reference.

They do look the same in almost every way but there are very fundamental differences.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
firemon
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceaholic
Couldnt be happier with the decision to go with the Competition seats...attached are images of my ride. Think GM's initial decision to steer people towards the GT seats unless they are tracking the car was misguided. The fact is that having both types of seats available offer some options to folks of different anatomy and perceptions of comfort that have little to do with whether the car will be on the track.

After having spent some time in the Comp seats recommend folks who have no intention of tracking the vehicle not immediately default to the GT seats but instead experience both options before taking the plunge.
Super nice, Is the red trim on your steering wheel part of the 3 lt package ?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 PM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by firemon
Super nice, Is the red trim on your steering wheel part of the 3 lt package ?
Thanks...the wheel is a Caravaggio D-Wheel...the wheel is only turned 90 so it makes the red look like its at the 12 and 6 position rather then 3 and 9. For the life of me though cant figure out why GM didnt offer the wheel as an option as part of the 3LT...the car looked unfinished without it.

Last edited by spaceaholic; 04-13-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:27 PM
CWW17
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Aside from me adding the highlighter circle to focus your attention, this is a straight, unretouched snapshot of my Internet Explorer window for this thread. Fitting tab abbreviation, don't you think?

On a serious side note, you need to update to a more current browser for the safety of your personal information.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
gregd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spaceaholic
The more posted photo's I see of C7's with the Completion seats, the more convinced I am the Stingray is incomplete without them (almost like an unfinished work of art)...
I got my order in last Friday - triple black Z-51 coupe - and it's got comp seats. I tried both as best I could at dealer and yes, the GT seats appeared a tad softer. That said the comp seat was like slipping into a well fitting ski boot. Felt comfortable but held me in place. (I'm fairly thin so size isn't much of an issue.) I don't intend to track the car but on looks alone it was a near "must" choice. I am pleased to see that the majority of posts are very satisfied with their choice to get the seats. Also the comment about their softening up after a bit. The seats on my C-6 did and if the comp seats soften up just a bit shey should be perfect.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:04 PM
gregd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Aside from me adding the highlighter circle to focus your attention, this is a straight, unretouched snapshot of my Internet Explorer window for this thread. Fitting tab abbreviation, don't you think?

Haha!!!! Good!!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:16 PM
osunick
Advanced

Just drove 3200 miles in a week with them, from Kentucky to California along Route 66. They were great.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

So, any really husky guys get in them yet? I'm 6ft 285lbs and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be comfortable in them. I'm okay in my Mustang's Recaros except for the seat bottom bolster digging into my thigh, but the seat back is comfy.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 AM
osunick
Advanced

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
So, any really husky guys get in them yet? I'm 6ft 285lbs and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be comfortable in them. I'm okay in my Mustang's Recaros except for the seat bottom bolster digging into my thigh, but the seat back is comfy.
I really doubt they would work for you- I'm 5'7" 185 and I think at the limit of what the seats will accommodate for long drives.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

According to what I was told, the bottom of the comp seat is the same but it has a higher density foam pad. I was told by Dave T personal friend and newly retired plant manager.

Its mentioned in this video that the Comp seat has more dense foam (4.55) he doesn't clarify in what section.

Last edited by fasttoys; 04-14-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 PM
firemon
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

Mind my asking what your weights , height and waist size might be ?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:41 PM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Just under 6 foot at 195 here... as noted above I have the seats and find them super comfortable (much more so then the GT seats)
Old 04-16-2014, 03:50 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by firemon
Mind my asking what your weights , height and waist size might be ?
I'm 5'11'', 205 and 34" waist. I don't think size is as much of an issue in my case since the only place I really have trouble is the bottom side bolster. If you place your left foot on the dead pedal while driving, I don't see how the side bolster on the bottom is not going to press into the bottom of your left thigh. I've tried shifting over to the right of the seat, but that doesn't really work. I've also tried bending my left leg more, which helps until I have to push the clutch on shifts and my foot naturally gravitates back to the dead pedal. I'm just hoping the pad softens over time, or my thigh toughens up a little...

Also, I have the comp seats.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Weight

Originally Posted by evilmonkey
I'm 5'11'', 205 and 34" waist. I don't think size is as much of an issue in my case since the only place I really have trouble is the bottom side bolster. If you place your left foot on the dead pedal while driving, I don't see how the side bolster on the bottom is not going to press into the bottom of your left thigh. I've tried shifting over to the right of the seat, but that doesn't really work. I've also tried bending my left leg more, which helps until I have to push the clutch on shifts and my foot naturally gravitates back to the dead pedal. I'm just hoping the pad softens over time, or my thigh toughens up a little...

Also, I have the comp seats.
5 foot. 6 and half inches tall 42 inch chest 36 inch waist.
Z51vett
Doug

Quick Reply: Comp Seats - Updated Assessement(s)?