Sponsored by:

For you "slightly used" C7 buyers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For you "slightly used" C7 buyers

So how much research will you guys who buy pre-owned Corvettes do when the C7's start popping up for sale? I'm sure many Stingray owners will be upgrading to the new Z which means many of their cars will become available. Now logic tells us that if a guy wants a Z he probably likes to go fast so the question is, how abused will their Stingrays be? A lot of guys on here boast of tracking and abusing their cars right out of the box, that would not be a car I would buy in the secondary market, the guys who care for (and are made fun of for doing so) their cars are the ones you want to buy from.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
So how much research will you guys who buy pre-owned Corvettes do when the C7's start popping up for sale? I'm sure many Stingray owners will be upgrading to the new Z which means many of their cars will become available. Now logic tells us that if a guy wants a Z he probably likes to go fast so the question is, how abused will their Stingrays be? A lot of guys on here boast of tracking and abusing their cars right out of the box, that would not be a car I would buy in the secondary market, the guys who care for (and are made fun of for doing so) their cars are the ones you want to buy from.
Whenver I buy a used car, I always check under the front dam for damage as it can be an indicator of the car given a car. Curb rash is another indicator for me. Premature tire wear is another sign. Garage Queens are the best vettes to buy.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Whenver I buy a used car, I always check under the front dam for damage as it can be an indicator of the car given a car. Curb rash is another indicator for me. Premature tire wear is another sign. Garage Queens are the best vettes to buy.
Agreed on all of the above, also seat wear is a good indicator. The real key though is the driveline, most of these cars will have only a year or two of age and the cosmetic stuff will be apparent. The guys who pound the snot out of their cars from day one are the ones to steer away from, in a lot of cases some have no break in.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

After car buying for 35+ years I have found most Vette owners do an awesome job of keeping their cars nice for the next owner.

Of course you have the guys that beat the crap out of them, those are the ones that usually get traded in and end up at auctions. Unless I was planning on doing some serious modding/racing myself I would never buy a late model car without the dealer doing a CVN/flash counter check and look for the usual worn out caliper bolts, sway bar swaps, transaxle R&R (clutch/converter/gear), supercharger bracket/balancer artifacts etc.

I dont usually mod the Vettes I buy new, I buy them because they are supposed to have good performance from the factory Now my last two mustang GTs ('11 and '13) had 2.3 TVS blowers on them and were 10 second 1/4 miles daily drivers with less than 500 miles on the odometer when I did the blowers. But I sold them with the blowers (under 10K miles) and flat out told the new owners they were on their own with no powertrain warranty. Unfortunately many sellers will de-mod and just trade them in so its always buyer beware.

Last edited by kp; 03-07-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Knobbie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just like sportbikes, look for melted rubber bits in the wheelwells.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Due diligence and a transferrable warranty should work for most.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

The odd thing about it is that although everyone says they would only buy clean, low mileage used Corvette's, these same people also don't want to pay a significant premium for a low mileage garage queen.
The last few Corvette's I have sold (1998 in 2005 and 2006 in 2013) both with less than 15,000 miles on them and otherwise flawless sold for at most a $2,000 premium over a similar car with 50,000 miles in less than show car condition.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:49 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
The odd thing about it is that although everyone says they would only buy clean, low mileage used Corvette's, these same people also don't want to pay a significant premium for a low mileage garage queen.
The last few Corvette's I have sold (1998 in 2005 and 2006 in 2013) both with less than 15,000 miles on them and otherwise flawless sold for at most a $2,000 premium over a similar car with 50,000 miles in less than show car condition.
And if you trade them in its usually not even that much more. Some people keep their cars pristine and thats fine if they are doing it for their own enjoyment and satisfaction. But I'd rather have 35K more miles of fun driving after 7 years than two grand when I sell it after all that time.

On car forums no one wants to buy even new cars at a premium over beat up used car prices, the used car section on CF is pretty brutal I like forums and a lot of good info to be had out there but they are tough to sell a used car on, hyper clean or not, unless you are giving it away.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Lots of variables go into a resale price but I'm talking about condition of a 1-2 year old car more than I am price. And FWIW, if all things were equal a car with 15k should go for way more than a car with 50k, at least $3500 IMO.

As for the way people keep them, well it's to each their own but I for one would not go near a not well kept car/house/bike or even a snow blower. There is something to be said for well kept material items.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Dan how ya been? Wondering if you where still around!! Hey I better vacumn my car before I trade it to ya????!!!!

I think the answer lies in what do you want to do with the car? You want a waxer buy a low mileage waxer and don't drive it. But why would I buy a low mileage waxer if I was to track it?

In that case maybe I want a used track car that has extra goodies on it already.

Happen to be at Spring Mountain a few weeks back. They are taking new cars...... putting 7 8 K miles on them..... never on the street only on the track and reselling them every few months. They do all the mechanics and do a full disclosure and they said folks line up for them?!?! Would not be something I'd buy but who knows?

To me the value of a low mileage car is that it is low mileage. To keep it as an investment you can't drive it much. I drive mine and am not too worried about resale or the next guy.

But each to their own!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

More time==more sellers. It's fairly obvious the pickings will be plentiful. Assessing the damage done by the 14 having been thrashed? Many ways to learn of this on a case by case basis.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Year from now or so, there will probably be a few up for sale from "impulse buyers" who realize they are over their head on the monthly payments.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LIStingray
That means they don't want cars that old for a premium - even with low mileage on them.

The premiums will be garnered on super-low mileage used C7s less than 3 years old with maybe 5K or less miles on them. That's the ticket.

As far as detecting a used C7 with the snot beaten out of it? The first hint are in the mods done to it. Any seller babbling about how it's worth so much more because they've souped it up, is a dead give away to avoid it. Some aren't sharp enough to know it diminishes value, not increases it........
Old 03-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
As far as detecting a used C7 with the snot beaten out of it? The first hint are in the mods done to it. Any seller babbling about how it's worth so much more because they've souped it up, is a dead give away to avoid it. Some aren't sharp enough to know it diminishes value, not increases it........
Or simply find out if the owner is a member here, most guys boast or if nothing else discuss their track history. Some even bragged about busting it out of the box just to try and prove a point, which was never proved b/c none of us were there and don't know what was modded. I would stay far away from any of those cars.

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 03-07-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
Year from now or so, there will probably be a few up for sale from "impulse buyers" who realize they are over their head on the monthly payments.
I'd venture most new buyers that don't pay cash, stretch their payments out as long as possible, then roll their negative equity into their next new Corvette.

Fact is, they can't afford the payments buying used, so new, is their only hope getting into another new Corvette.

Many have been beaten up so badly in depreciation over the years, they know no other way to deal in cars.

Buying new mentality many times is a matter of stretching to make the monthly amount only - not how much depreciation they're getting battered with.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Or simply find out if the owner is a member here, most guys boast or if nothing else discuss their track history. Some even bragged about busting it out of the box just to try and prove a point, which was never proved b/c none of us were their and don't know what was modded. I would stay far away from any of those cars.
Great input, Dan. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
You should have read what he originally posted before he edited it. Something about SRJ not owning a Vette since whenever when the only thing ATX owns Vette related is the receipt for a deposit.

While I'm no fan of SRJ, I still put him above ATX simply for ignoring the guy.
I have been watching the resale market. I have bought and sold a lot of used sports cars over the last 20 years. A couple of simple rules have served me well. Buy from older owners, never smoked in, unmodded and garaged. Check the paperwork and as mentioned tires.
The corvette resale market is starting to show a lot of C7 product for a car only out for 6 months. I suspect a lot of C7's have been purchased by buyers who were really stretching their budgets and once reality sets in they will be on the market. This time next year might be getting into the sweet spot if you want a used one.

Get notified of new replies

To For you "slightly used" C7 buyers

Old 03-07-2014, 10:18 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Don't fall into the trap of trolls and start defending negative people--never works.

C7 forum SHOULD be for C7 owners/and those who are wanting to buy.

All the negative stuff about C7 owners--not needed.
Don't fall into the trap of trolls and start defending negative people--never works.

All the negative stuff about C7 owners--not needed.Don't fall into the trap of trolls and start defending negative people--never works.

This post makes no sense.

And you, ATX, drmustang, onyx and SRJ should learn about forum rules and all just stop arguing with each other. This pissing match adds nothing to CF.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jackhall99
This post makes no sense.

This pissing match adds nothing to CF.
Done with this thread. I'm here to talk C7...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailfun
I have been watching the resale market. I have bought and sold a lot of used sports cars over the last 20 years. A couple of simple rules have served me well. Buy from older owners, never smoked in, unmodded and garaged. Check the paperwork and as mentioned tires.
The corvette resale market is starting to show a lot of C7 product for a car only out for 6 months. I suspect a lot of C7's have been purchased by buyers who were really stretching their budgets and once reality sets in they will be on the market. This time next year might be getting into the sweet spot if you want a used one.
Tires are a key to how it was driven.How many sets is the real question.If the compound matches the same as run flats C5'S came with? Noobie corvette owners if they really drive these cars are in for a surprise.These tires aren't cheap and wear quickly.Could be reason for trade?
These tires being so soft of a compound a couple hot asphalt tight exit ramps will scare these baby's quick. The all aluminum undercarriage will show how much road salt they have been subject to.A dead give away is the alternator casing changing to a drab finish.
We don't even know yet how this car will stay tight.Can the car remain squeak and rattle free for a length of time.Tightness of a used car is a deal changer.
That is another disadvantage of purchasing a new design.
Not bashing this beauty but it still needs time to see how really great it is? GM is capitalizing on how good it is NOW! We will all see how great it is LATER.

Quick Reply: For you "slightly used" C7 buyers