Sponsored by:

Quick review: Carbotech 1521 Bobcat brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Quick review: Carbotech 1521 Bobcat brake pads

I thought I would post a very quick review of the Carbotech 1521 pads I recently put on the car now that I have had enough time to get a really good feel for them.

I wasn't planning on swapping out the OEM pads any time soon. However, I decided to go with a Carbotech XP10/XP8 combination for the track this summer and wanted to make my life as simple as easy as possible when swapping pads. Having done some research, I was advised by Carbotech that if I used the XP10/XP8 for the track, I would need to spend time cleaning the rotors before putting the OEM pads back on as their compounds are not "compatible." I believe this will be, to some extent, an issue with many track pad to OEM pad transitions. With the Carbotech 1521 street pad, it is a simple as swapping them for the track pads and back again... easy as pie.

Once my car was jacked up, swapping the pads was fast and easy (other than the front pads which had tape on them which made it a challenge to get them off).

My observations...

1. Very little brake dust. Much less than the Z51 OEM pads.

2. Very good initial bite and braking force. Initial bite is better than OEM pads IMO and the overall braking force is subjectively the same.

3. The pads are dead silent. I had a couple of squeals the very first evening but since then nothing. I suspect that may have been residual OEM pad material on the rotor or dirt. I did not apply any brake quiet paste. They are quieter, in my experience, than OEM.

For those who aren't tracking their car, these pads are as good or better than stock in braking with WAY less dusting and virtually silent in my experience. I don't think you could buy a better street pad... well, I haven't experienced one yet.

For those who are tracking their car, these pads allow you to swap in/out the Carbotech track pads with ease.

Thanks to Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com for the time he took to answer my questions, fast shipping, great follow up and overall great experience. I can't wait for the first day out at the track to test out the XP10/XP8... I'll post a review then too

Last edited by gthal; 04-04-2014 at 10:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by gthal:
Emuffinman1 (03-14-2024), Rob#2 (12-04-2016), Woodson (12-06-2016)
Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 PM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I can't wait for the first day out at the track to test out the XP10/XP8... I'll post a review then too
I have used XP10/XP8 many times on track. I tend to keep them for the street as well. They are not too nosy when new, but get very noisy after tracking - sometimes get a bit better if cleaned up.

But I am curious - did you try tracking with the Z51 OEM pads and found them to be fading or wearing too fast?

I know street pads will never be as good as race pads, but did you find the Z51 pads totally unacceptable for an HPDE tipe set up? Was the fade unmanageable?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 AM
gthal
Safety Car

^^^^ I didn't run the OEM pads on the track. I have run track pads on my other cars for the last couple of years because OEM pads were a compromise... my research suggested the C7 pads were no different so I simply decided not to bother and just replace them for track days.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-01-2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I am waiting for your review. I'm planning on the same setup except I'm going to get DBA 2 piece rotors for front and rear. I'm especially interested as I've heard the C7 uses a lot of rear brake due to the e diff. I'm almost wondering if it would be better to run XP10 all corners.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:59 AM
gthal
Safety Car

^^^^ I was thinking the same thing on the XP10 in the rear... I'm sure I will go through enough pads to try a variety of combinations

I also plan to put either AP Racing or Racing Brake rotors on the car but decided to drive this summer on the OEM rotors just to see. If I have issues or they crack, I'll just replace them.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-01-2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:04 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran

Are you going to run stock rubber ? I'm planning on either Toyo R888 or Hoosiers. I've got to get my harness bar first tho. I did buy a camber tool so I can change camber per OM instructions. This will be the first car I will run totally stock except brake pads, rotors, and tires.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 AM
gthal
Safety Car

^^^ For the first couple of days to get a feel for the car I will likely run the stock rubber. I like to get my cars out first and then start tweaking them once I have a good feel for them. From all reports, the Z51 tire compound is pretty decent. I'll judge that and then decide next steps.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran

I just know I can get a new set of Hoosiers for $1200. Guarantee stock rubber isn't that cheap.lol. It's a fiscal reason I run race rubber.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Back to work Monday
Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

That time of year, lets get rolling
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

In my experience, the 1521's are very rotor friendly and long lived.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by WKMCD
In my experience, the 1521's are very rotor friendly and long lived.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:54 PM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I thought I would post a very quick review of the Carbotech 1521 pads I recently put on the car now that I have had enough time to get a really good feel for them.

I wasn't planning on swapping out the OEM pads any time soon. However, I decided to go with a Carbotech XP10/XP8 combination for the track this summer and wanted to make my life as simple as easy as possible when swapping pads. Having done some research, I was advised by Carbotech that if I used the XP10/XP8 for the track, I would need to spend time cleaning the rotors before putting the OEM pads back on as their compounds are not "compatible." I believe this will be, to some extent, an issue with many track pad to OEM pad transitions. With the Carbotech 1521 street pad, it is a simple as swapping them for the track pads and back again... easy as pie.

Once my car was jacked up, swapping the pads was fast and easy (other than the front pads which had tape on them which made it a challenge to get them off).

My observations...

1. Very little brake dust. Much less than the Z51 OEM pads.

2. Very good initial bite and braking force. Initial bite is better than OEM pads IMO and the overall braking force is subjectively the same.

3. The pads are dead silent. I had a couple of squeals the very first evening but since then nothing. I suspect that may have been residual OEM pad material on the rotor or dirt. I did not apply any brake quiet paste. They are quieter, in my experience, than OEM.

For those who aren't tracking their car, these pads are as good or better than stock in braking with WAY less dusting and virtually silent in my experience. I don't think you could buy a better street pad... well, I haven't experienced one yet.

For those who are tracking their car, these pads allow you to swap in/out the Carbotech track pads with ease.

Thanks to Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com for the time he took to answer my questions, fast shipping, great follow up and overall great experience. I can't wait for the first day out at the track to test out the XP10/XP8... I'll post a review then too
In changing from OEM to the 1521 pads did you need to prep or clean the rotors in any way? Or are issues with incompatible pad compounds not as much of an problem when switching from one street pad to another?

I now have a C7 Z51 and was thinking of the same Carbotech options for ultimately swapping between street and track. However my concern was how best to make the initial transition away from the OEM pads.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:18 PM
Toombs
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Vette1
In changing from OEM to the 1521 pads did you need to prep or clean the rotors in any way? Or are issues with incompatible pad compounds not as much of an problem when switching from one street pad to another?

I now have a C7 Z51 and was thinking of the same Carbotech options for ultimately swapping between street and track. However my concern was how best to make the initial transition away from the OEM pads.
i don't know the answer, but I'm impressed by the 2-year 8-month old thread resurrection! Have fun tracking the Z51!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by C6Vette1

How many miles on the Z51 rotors? Here is a helpful how too, take a look. http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf
Old 12-04-2016, 01:01 AM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 4,200 miles on the Z51 rotors. That includes a couple of low speed autoX events and one high speed. Thanks for the link to the "How To".

Get notified of new replies

To Quick review: Carbotech 1521 Bobcat brake pads

Old 12-06-2016, 03:22 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I would just follow the how to above
Old 12-06-2016, 05:20 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I'm confused if you used the 1521 for the track or not, but definitely not a good idea.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm confused if you used the 1521 for the track or not, but definitely not a good idea.
No, I would not track the 1521, but Auto x is fine. The 1521 is good to 850+ degrees. With that being said all Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other. So, you can run a street pad and track pad on the same rotor with no issue no re-bedding or anything swap pads and go..

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 12-07-2016 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Quick review: Carbotech 1521 Bobcat brake pads