Sponsored by:

I'm tired of all the Bashing of the Bowling Green Workers

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:59 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Warrior
As a 32 year Union member, safety officer, and Steward I say SHUT IT DOWN! No one really "needs" a Corvette anyway!
Actually they have built enough Vettes. No one needs a new one. Time to create a shortage of old ones (now that I have one).
Old 04-10-2014, 03:06 PM
K7baixo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Actually unions take young men with little potential and gives them a decent life. The union protects them from devious managers that would fire them just because they don't like them or because they are getting up there in age and don't move as fast as they used to because they are getting worn out. Job security is a key to a healthy economy. It allows people to build the American dream. "Jobs for life" are a good thing for many people. Keeps them off the streets.
I don't know if I agree with the "little potential" part but otherwise, you're correct.

Let's apply your comments to some of "us". For some, the American dream might be to own a Corvette. Can you imagine working up the courage to finance one of these (or a piece of land, a home, etc) when you're worried about your job or long-term prospects?

Economists use the expectations theory to help explain behavior be it business, financial, etc. Without expectations that your job will exist tomorrow, it's damn hard to make plans to purchase a house, Corvette, flat screen TV, etc. unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:09 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Simply not true. We are in place for a fair wage and health and welfare. As a long term IATSE member I take that as a direct insult.
Some day I may relate the relationship my mother experienced at the hands of the "in place for fair wage and health and welfare" AFSCME, part of the AFL-CIO. She was an Organizer and loyal employee for over 14 years when they screwed her over...ROYALLY. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing at all against the Rank and File but I know of NO union management that isn't corrupt, probably criminal and absolutely a money laundering scheme for the Democrats.

Sorry, unions get ZERO sympathy from me.....at one time they made sense..like 60 years ago perhaps.

Since, every one of their Faux "griefs" are addressed in Federal (and in most cases) Local Law

Last edited by KenHorse; 04-10-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:13 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Simply not true. We are in place for a fair wage and health and welfare. As a long term IATSE member I take that as a direct insult.

It may not be the same in your market, but you wouldn't be so insulted if you saw the level of inexperience and quality IATSE considers acceptable HERE. They have done far more to hurt the local economy and production business than help it. They are widely known as a "joke" on the west coast.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:32 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
It may not be the same in your market, but you wouldn't be so insulted if you saw the level of inexperience and quality IATSE considers acceptable HERE. They have done far more to hurt the local economy and production business than help it. They are widely known as a "joke" on the west coast.
Non-union companies are just as bad when it comes to hiring. Been there. They hire whoever will work for the low wages and hire friends and relatives of management no matter how incompetent they are..
Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Let me guess you own a business?
Non-sequitur to my post
Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM
1955nomad
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Work for a green tractor co. 38 years as a union worker on a new trans. build found a problem Q/E eng. could not read a blueprint . Tore down 300 on o/t Plus it paid for my wifes new vert . all I got was a subway dinner and a picture . you can be book smart in this world but not on the line
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Some day I may relate the relationship my mother experienced at the hands of the "in place for fair wage and health and welfare" AFSCME, part of the AFL-CIO. She was an Organizer and loyal employee for over 14 years when they screwed her over...ROYALLY. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing at all against the Rank and File but I know of NO union management that isn't corrupt, probably criminal and absolutely a money laundering scheme for the Democrats.

Sorry, unions get ZERO sympathy from me.....at one time they made sense..like 60 years ago perhaps.

Since, every one of their Faux "griefs" are addressed in Federal (and in most cases) Local Law
Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Unions today are a huge drain on our economy, health and welfare and politics!

Gotta get rid of them. Bad, bad, bad!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

When I witnessed the IBEW fight for, and even sue on behalf of, an employee over and over and over so he could keep his job I lost ALL respect I had for unions.

The employee was an operator at a nuclear power plant. He was found falling-down drunk on the job. More than once. After the company paid for rehab he kept doing it. IBEW thought it was unfair that he was eventually fired for being drunk while operating a nuclear power plant and that he should be given unlimited chances and trips to rehab.

True story. And very scary that any union leadership would think that way.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by K7baixo
I don't know if I agree with the "little potential" part but otherwise, you're correct.

Let's apply your comments to some of "us". For some, the American dream might be to own a Corvette. Can you imagine working up the courage to finance one of these (or a piece of land, a home, etc) when you're worried about your job or long-term prospects?

Economists use the expectations theory to help explain behavior be it business, financial, etc. Without expectations that your job will exist tomorrow, it's damn hard to make plans to purchase a house, Corvette, flat screen TV, etc. unless you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
I've never belonged to a union and somehow I worked up the courage to buy my first new car at age 21,my second new car at age 22, my third new car at age 23 and my first home at age 25, married at age 25, two new cars at age 26, and had two kids to support by age 28.

I would say I wasn't too worried about my job or long-term prospects. Oh and my parents were divorced(dad skipped out on the child support payments each month) and I worked since age 11 part time to supplement my Mom's income. Far from being born with a silver spoon.

I was never afraid to quit one job and go with another to further myself. I was never afraid to put everything I owned on the line to startup a new business.

I own my home free and clear along with two vintage Vettes(56 & 64) and a C6 Z06 and a Mercedes daily driver. All done without belonging to a union to make sure I couldn't get fired for being a slacker.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-10-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 PM
liquorman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette Nut
3 days ago there was a post saying how nice and friendly the workers are. How much they loved making our beloved cars. How much we enjoyed meeting them. Someone even wanted to know where they could buy them a beer a few weeks ago..... What did the workers do that was so bad ??? They want plant safety issues addressed and they want the quality issues taken care of before the cars leave the plant.... How dare they !!!! Just get me my car, too bad if you hurt your back or get hit by a fork truck. If the quality does not meet my standards i can always bitch about it here.

Now i know most people are resonable here, but the few that are bashing the workers at the plant need to realize they do not know whats its really like to work there. Most managers are paid to produce profits for a company. GM is no different. People would be suprised at the contract langauge the UAW puts in their agreements to insure quality. Most people don't know that.

This is most likely no more than the UAW and the Plant managers needing to sit down and talk about some long festering issues. Nobody wants a strike and i doubt if it will happen. Both the UAW and GM know what they need to do both short and long term. I expect this will work itself out in time .... ok now you can bash me

I really don't understand why anyone would want to belong to any type of union. I always learned to stand on my own two feet.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink

Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I thought it was great that the workers at the VW plant recently voted not to become unionized. They didn't need to be. The have great paying jobs, and didn't want all the problems that comes with being unionized. You will see more of this as time goes on.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:36 PM
TopBeer
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

Ok, I have already chimed in with my thoughts of the Bowling Green situation. Maybe I am biased against unions. It was early in my career in the aviation industry and the company I worked for went union. There were games played and manipulation by union stewards and the union itself to get everyone swayed toward the union. All it did for me was suck the life out of my spirit, destroy my creativity, and suppress my wages. I no longer got the merit raises I had gotten in the past and my wages increased at a slower pace going forward. I had no incentive to bust my butt anymore and the union made sure the guy next to me that didn't work hard, missed more than his share of days, and was constantly in trouble, kept his job. The bad employee made the same I did and my dues went to paying for efforts for that schmuck to keep his job. If you think a union ensures people work harder, innovate, and hustle? Maybe you should explain to me how some(I emphasize "some")people on welfare make it a way of life and never try to get off the government coffers... there is no incentive to, just like there is no incentive to strive for more while you are in a union. Been there, done that!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I've never belonged to a union and somehow I worked up the courage to buy my first new car at age 21,my second new car at age 22, my third new car at age 23 and my first home at age 25, married at age 25, two new cars at age 26, and had two kids to support by age 28.

I would say I wasn't too worried about my job or long-term prospects. Oh and my parents were divorced(dad skipped out on the child support payments each month) and I worked since age 11 part time to supplement my Mom's income. Far from being born with a silver spoon.

I was never afraid to quit one job and go with another to further myself. I was never afraid to put everything I owned on the line to startup a new business.

I own my home free and clear along with two vintage Vettes(56 & 64) and a C6 Z06 and a Mercedes daily driver. All done without belonging to a union to make sure I couldn't get fired for being a slacker.
Good for you. Not everyone has that capability or were in the right place at the right time.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:41 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red08
I thought it was great that the workers at the VW plant recently voted not to become unionized. They didn't need to be. The have great paying jobs, and didn't want all the problems that comes with being unionized. You will see more of this as time goes on.
I doubt it. The more unions die off, the lower wages will get and the middle class will disappear. It's already happening. I retired at 57 so it doesn't matter to me.
The threat of a union gave those workers their high paying jobs. The truth is, labor is a cost and lowing costs is what business does.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink

If that's what you believe I respect it. But do you own a vette or a G.M. car? Yeah, that's what I thought, so put up and get rid of em or shut up!! Me, I wont spend a dime on major league sports because of the ridiculous salaries they get to play a game but I don't blame them for taking it. I would too as long as all of you are willing to pay hundreds or thousands for a ticket.

Last edited by rob62; 04-10-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm tired of all the Bashing of the Bowling Green Workers