C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice: Did shop install wrong part?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Need advice: Did shop install wrong part?

I took delivery of my Z51 in October 2013. It had the ususal separate air dams in front of each wheel. The inside egdes were cut at a 45 degree angle, thus:

I lost the passenger side air dam to some road debris and took my car to the local dealer for a replacement. Ater some confusion and delay concerning the correct part number, the dealer finally called to say that the part arrived.

When I got it back, it appears that both air dams have been replaced and they now have squared corners (inside and out).

When I feel behind the inside edge of each unit, there seems to be a ridge (channel) that might be intended to match up with the center air dam on a non-Z51 model. I much preferred the earlier design both for aesthetics and because it now scrapes in locations where it didn't before.

I suspect that the dealer incorrectly ordered the two side pieces of the non-Z51 air dam. I do recall hearing something about the Z51 air dam design being changed after initial production, but have no further information.

I thought I would seek out the wisdom of my CF brothers before taking the dealer to task on this.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:56 AM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

You are correct. They put on just the ends of the air dam for the base model. Tell them to put on the correct ones. These may be able to be cut to the correct size but make them do it right. Some will tell you to leave them off. As dumb as the Z51 pieces look, just the ends of the base air dam look even worse. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Yeah, after paying over $300 I'm not real pleased with the look. I'm even more displeased with what could be construed to be intentional deception.

One would assume that they were made aware of their mistake when they saw the shape and dimensions of the remaining original air dam. Moreover, when I picked up the car they neglected to mention that both sides had been replaced.

A suspicious mind would conclude that they just slapped on what they had, believing that I wouldn't know the difference.

Last edited by Magister Ludi; 04-21-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Yeah, after paying over $300 I'm not real pleased with the look. I'm even more displeased with what appears to be intentional deception.

One would assume that they were made aware of their mistake when they saw the shape and dimensions of the remaining original air dam. Moreover, when I picked up the car they neglected to mention that both sides had been replaced.

A suspicious mind would conclude that they just slapped on what they had, believing that I wouldn't know the difference.
Knowing what goes on at dealers I would say its 50/50 ...if not a large volume corvette dealer they probably had no idea it was wrong.

If it was a high volume dealer than yes maybe they tried to deceive u.

When I had my m3 I had a huge fight with service (maint. included) that my m3 had a special TSB for rear diff fluid break in change and they didn't know that until I printed it and showed them.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:58 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, after paying over $300 I'm not real pleased with the look. I'm even more displeased with what appears to be intentional deception.

$300? I hope it was more than just the air dams!

I thought I read somewhere that they might have changed the airdam design?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's really hard for a dealer to screw up, they really have to try when it comes to parts. If they entered you VIN into the system it will call up the correct airdam part numbers based on your build sheet.

Of course the parts listings are still not available on the Internet from OEM GM parts suppliers so there's not way to check.

Those are wrong, they had a 50/50 chance to get it right, they failed.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Time for EXACTO KNIFE
Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$300?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Specracer
$300?
Yes, just for the replacement of one air dam. What a deal.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I thought I read somewhere that they might have changed the airdam design?
That's why I'm checking. Any of you who took recent delivery of a Z51 care to chime in?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

That's why I'm checking. Any of you who took recent delivery of a Z51 care to chime in?
I took delivery of mine in mid-Feb (a late Jan build) and it has the angled deflectors. In addition to those replacements you have not being cut at an angle, they are much longer. The Z51 deflectors don't go much past the start of the grill opening. The ones you have extend much farther - almost to the first vertical rib.

Here's a photo that shows mine:

Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, they installed the non-Z51 ones.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 AM
droideka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

complete horseshit on the part of the dealer. i am terrified to take mine in for the first oil change being a dry sump car.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Zymurgy;1586710672]I took delivery of mine in mid-Feb (a late Jan build) and it has the angled deflectors. In addition to those replacements you have not being cut at an angle, they are much longer. The Z51 deflectors don't go much past the start of the grill opening. The ones you have extend much farther - almost to the first vertical rib.
QUOTE]

Thank you very much. That's what I needed to know.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:07 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

And next the dealership will tell you that you got even more air dam than you paid for but since they are such great people they will let you keep the extra at no additional charge.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NSC5
And next the dealership will tell you that you got even more air dam than you paid for but since they are such great people they will let you keep the extra at no additional charge.

For now I'm going to assume innocent mistake and give them a chance to redeem themselves.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:37 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Originally Posted by droideka
complete horseshit on the part of the dealer. i am terrified to take mine in for the first oil change being a dry sump car.
do it yourself or find a local family owned car shop where they are dedicated to their work to do it for you... Plus they are not using great oil at the dealer the dexos blend im not a fan. I am only going to run mobil 1 full synthetic or maybe amsoil (my boys shop is an amsoil dealer)

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice: Did shop install wrong part?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:26 PM
alaincayman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Parts

The deflectors shown in your photos are exactly the same as those which came with my Z51 (pilot-production C7, #14). It seems that these were revised on later cars, according to the photo in another post here.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:39 PM
14 Red Z51 Vette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by droideka
I went to Walmart and bought 2 5 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 5w30 for $60. I am picking up an ac filter from the local dealer for $5.50 tomorrow. I am changing the oil myself on my lift and skipping the free 2 year maintenance. My last Vette went in for warranty repair and came out worse and had to make 2 more trips for what the mechanic tore up fixing the original problem. It is not going to a dealer for anything unless it absolutely has to. I don't trust the local jokels.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:08 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Originally Posted by 14 Red Z51 Vette
I went to Walmart and bought 2 5 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 5w30 for $60. I am picking up an ac filter from the local dealer for $5.50 tomorrow. I am changing the oil myself on my lift and skipping the free 2 year maintenance. My last Vette went in for warranty repair and came out worse and had to make 2 more trips for what the mechanic tore up fixing the original problem. It is not going to a dealer for anything unless it absolutely has to. I don't trust the local jokels.
also WIX are quality filters ! I am a big fan of them

Quick Reply: Need advice: Did shop install wrong part?