Sponsored by:

Install Catch Can in C7 Info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite Engineering
All, thanks for your orders and your patience. We're on schedule to ship all orders complete next week.

Again, thank you and have a nice weekend

I am definitely ordering one configuration or another. But I am not yet ready to add the vacuum line to my air intake. If time proves that GM won't react badly (re warranty) then it's definitely the way to go. But I want to see first.

My question: is there any harm in ordering a two exit port can and just capping the second port?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Nicky43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably California. They are so strict about auto polution the manufacturers have to make different cars just for California.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Send an email, they are quick to respond.

FYI: my order still says "Awaiting Payment", but I think that's an error in their website and the Paypal API. Another thing for the tech guy to look into.
That's correct, for some reason if you pay via. Paypal, our online store still shows "awaiting payment". Just ignore it and shoot us an email if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:52 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky43
Just another reassurance of why these are necessary and I just don't understand why the mfgs don't make catch cans standard equipment, especially on a Direct Injection engine.

The only answer to me seems they don't want our engines to last and would prefer the addtional service profits they might make.
Besides any CARB issues as Theta mentioned, could you imagine trying to tell the general public that they need to be careful and monitor the catch can so it doesn't overfill and start barfing on itself?

There is a company in the Audi/VW aftermarket that makes a catch can (I have one) with an optional drain that puts the can contents right back into the oil pan. I didn't buy that option because I don't want that much water vapor in my oilpan. The catch can residue for me is probably 90% water and 10% oil and it makes a brown slurry. I'll keep that out of the rest of my oil, please.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Besides any CARB issues as Theta mentioned, could you imagine trying to tell the general public that they need to be careful and monitor the catch can so it doesn't overfill and start barfing on itself?

There is a company in the Audi/VW aftermarket that makes a catch can (I have one) with an optional drain that puts the can contents right back into the oil pan. I didn't buy that option because I don't want that much water vapor in my oilpan. The catch can residue for me is probably 90% water and 10% oil and it makes a brown slurry. I'll keep that out of the rest of my oil, please.
There is more than that in the catch can... unburnt fuel, contaminants, blowby, etc. Its a pretty yucky mixture.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:12 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Motohead279
There is more than that in the catch can... unburnt fuel, contaminants, blowby, etc. Its a pretty yucky mixture.
Yeah, I think I commented earlier that my catch can drainage smells like a mix of oil, gas and a$s?
Old 05-19-2014, 03:53 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 348 Posts

Ordered.....
Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 999 Likes on 519 Posts
Tech Contributor

Thinking about ordering the "better" can for my needs....
Old 06-01-2014, 09:34 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,677 Likes on 6,664 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Has anyone installed a catch can in a Z51 C7.
Have looked at several install info’s but cannot find how to get the exiting hose off of the hose jumper from the manifold to the throttle body. It is heat shrunk on and no indication if it is to be removed with a razor blade, heated and removed etc.
Any install info would be helpful. Considering the Elite as it looks to be sufficient since not tracking the car etc.
Received and installed my Elite catch can and clean oil separator. Made an 8 page picture install that has a lot of details for the folks that don’t do a lot of DIY. It is an easy install with just a few tricks. Hi performance direct injection engines can cause what is called “coking” that is also discussed. Ferrari, Porsche etc folks are concerned. There are even discussions about special cleaning procedures (read expensive) some plan to do at each oil change! These two items have been used for several years on Vettes but with DI it’s even more important than in the past to reduce the residue ingested from the PCV system. See: netwelding.com/catch_can.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 06-01-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Jerry, Nice write up!
I take it you only need the oil/air separator with a dry sump?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Jerry, Nice write up!
Elite recc the "better" with oil sep cap even for a base car......they sent the schematic over on how to do it, but I'm a bit leery...May or may not do it...

You replace oil cap with sep, run line from cap to air box where it goes as if it was a z51, and then cap off other side of valve inlet.....hmmmm

Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Jerry, Nice write up!
Thanks. No, it is an issue with all C7’s. The majority of the problem is with the PCV system feeding crankcase "stuff" past the hot intake valves. There is no gasoline, as with prior port injection, going past to keep it clean! You would not need the "Clean Oil Separator" but the “Catch Can” reduces the amount of blow-by and oil residue being feed back to the engine.
The issue is not just with the Vette, it's just new to the C7. Ferrari and others have been trying to address the issue for sevaral years. The Ferrari Italia has a 560 hp direct injection engine since 2009. Some of their forum posts talk about running a cleaner thorough the air intake system at every oil change! More of an issue with high performance engines where the valves get hotter etc. In Europe some car manufactures are specifying low residual motor oil to help. I discuss that as well since I just recently found the Mobil 1 I have used since 1974 (and other synthetics) changed from a very clean polalphaolefin base to a half price “highly refined” what some call “dino oil” base in early 2000! Mobil lodged a complaint against Castrol who called a product they produced “synthetic” and Mobil claimed it was false advertising and at the time said it was inferior! After a several year battle they lost and the word synthetic was ruled a “marketing term.” Since the polalphaolefin base stock is twice as expensive most, if not all, switched to “dino” base stock! The PDF discusses that as well, no answers just the issue!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-01-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:29 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
Elite recc the "better" with oil sep cap even for a base car......they sent the schematic over on how to do it, but I'm a bit leery...May or may not do it...

You replace oil cap with sep, run line from cap to air box where it goes as if it was a z51, and then cap off other side of valve inlet.....hmmmm

Any thoughts?
I just looked at their non Z51 install info from their web site, and as I thought there is no “clean oil separator” since there is no air burping from an external oil tank! Don’t know why they show that as an optional buy for the non Z51. Looks like an error on their order page. You only need the catch can. You can get the less expensive single outlet can. I actually have my 2nd outlet plugged (at least for now.)
Old 06-01-2014, 11:35 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Catch Can ordered!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Catch Me If you Can
Old 06-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

returning the clean air sep cap...can't see it helping a base car...
Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

returning the clean air sep cap...can't see it helping a base car...

If you look at their install info, it's not included. The clean air separator is only for a dry sump. The tank burps (as it’s referred to) because the oil scavenge pump that pulls oil out of the pan pulls air with it. It is that air along with some oil mist that comes out in the tank. The tank is designed so it separates the air. With a non-dry sump there is no air to burp! For a non-dry sump the “catch can” collects blow-by and other contaminants from the crank case the same as it does for a Z51.

Get notified of new replies

To Install Catch Can in C7 Info?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JerryU

If you look at their install info, it's not included. The clean air separator is only for a dry sump. The tank burps (as it’s referred to) because the oil scavenge pump that pulls oil out of the pan pulls air with it. It is that air along with some oil mist that comes out in the tank. The tank is designed so it separates the air. With a non-dry sump there is no air to burp! For a non-dry sump the “catch can” collects blow-by and other contaminants from the crank case the same as it does for a Z51.

Thanks Jerry, it's going back...
I emailed steve at Elite and he gave me the setup...but still I'm going return it from good info here and I really don't need the extra plumbing as an around town DD...

so this is all you need if you are getting a base non z51 car:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/g...ette-stingray/

Last edited by Glen e; 06-01-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Jerry, it's going back...
I emailed steve at Elite and he gave me the setup...but still I'm going return it from good info here and I really don't need the extra plumbing as an around town DD...

so this is all you need if you are getting a base non z51 car:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/g...ette-stingray/
I agree. When I look at the web site, it is not an option with the single outlet catch can, but does show the option with the double outlet. Guess it could replace the valve cover oil cap, assuming it fits, but I don't see what it does relative to the catch can. There is no air to burp! Perhaps I'm missing something but if you're not tracking the car I doubt it does much, if anything other perhaps at sustained WOT!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:31 PM
C7FEVER
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so Ken said that Elite had the in/out reversed. Looking at his install it looks like the top hose goes to the inlet and the lower hose to the exit on the side, Is that correct?
I have a Z51.

Last edited by C7FEVER; 06-01-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Install Catch Can in C7 Info?