Old 05-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by gthal
This is pure BS too.

BMW's orange peel on the 2 M3s I owned were worse than my C7. I'm not defending orange peel but please don't suggest it isn't a problem for other manufacturers.

Funny you mention Kia. My Kia (winter car) has no orange peel. My MB and BMW did
It's a steaming load of BS, even on the precious GT-R's he's always opining about.
I've had both of my GT-R's next to my C7 and the OP was virtually the same. Better in some spots on each car and worse in others. Every car I own has OP to some degree.
There was a Porsche owner on here regularly last year, he often stated how great the paint on his new Ram truck was...the paint on both of mine is crap, especially my red one. From reading the Ram forums, it's a very common complaint.
I think lots of people twist reality to support whatever opinion they'd like to put forth. No OP on a modern car? BS. Go look at other brands, and just like with the C7, some are better to very good, some are worse.
S.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Gadfly I work for Acura and see new cars everyday and the paint is never inconsistent with very very little OP.

Jimmy will argue tooth and nail with ya, that's why I like him!! lol
Dan,
I am not arguing, I am simply stating that ORANGE PEEL is an INDUSTRY issue, not just a GM issue. I will be sure to step next door to the Acura dealer on Sunday (right beside BMW) and snap some photos of Acuras as well and prove you right (or wrong).

Jimmy
Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
It seems to be a consistency issue with the C7.

I've seen several new 20k Chevy Cruzes with great paint. I've seen C7s with great paint. And C7s with truly awful paint with OP so bad I'm surprised the factory released the car.

So. . . . How is it 20k Cruzes can have excellent paint? And more importantly, how is it that some C7s can have excellent paint, yet others are awful?

Seems to me a good paint job is certainly doable, even on a mass produced car - those 20k Cruzes and the C7s with good paint demonstrate such. So why can't the C7 have a consistently good paint job? What is keeping this from happening?

Seems that is the core issue/question.
Indeed, this is THE question. Why are they inconsistent? Are the folks getting C7's with NO O.P. just lucky?

Jimmy
Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,387 Posts

There is going to be production variation car to car, and some cars are not going to be acceptable to some buyers.

Some buyers have different standards of quality than others.

For everyone who can't accept production and buyer variability and tell everyone something doesn't exist, they go on my forum Ignore list. I recommend others do the same. Save yourself the trouble of reading narcissists' posts.

Michael
Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
At the Bash last week, the QC engineers met with some C7 owners to go over problems, and we were assured they are working on the best solution for the orange peel. Won't help any of us who already have it, but at least they are being proactive about identifying problems.
To the OP, you have to pay destination charges, even for Museum Delivery......so they had to give us something for free.
Finally, some useful information.

Michael
Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

What's going on is that GM does not have control of the process, and it seems like GM doesn't care, or is having a hard time getting the process under control.

Fact is the cars are bad.
Fact is GM knows about it, so do the forum dealers.
Fact is no $50+ car should be this bad.

GM should take the time to wet sand every car on the line until they get the process under control.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's going on is that GM does not have control of the process, and it seems like GM doesn't care, or is having a hard time getting the process under control.

Fact is the cars are bad.
Fact is GM knows about it, so do the forum dealers.
Fact is no $50+ car should be this bad.

GM should take the time to wet sand every car on the line until they get the process under control.
If you understood process control in manufacturing, you'd know that they DO have control. The problem is the materials vendors are supplying and other issues. This is evidenced by the fact that some colors have it while other colors don't appear to have it much at all.

GM could wet sand but then this place would be full of bitching about the added cost. So spend your extra dollars, should you choose, to have it wet sanded on your own just like folks do to add numerous other mods/adjustments.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:19 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Which colors seem to be worse?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by owc6
Which colors seem to be worse?
Sadly, red seems to be having more problems than others.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,839 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Sadly, red seems to be having more problems than others.
A guy I know who was at the Bash last weekend said every NRB car he saw in the waiting area looked worse than all the other colors. His exact description was "pathetic".
Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I have a small amount of OP on my NRB. It is mostly on the lower vertical surfaces and not an issue for me. The horizontal / top surfaces like the hood, roof and hatch are flat and smooth. Maybe they were polished out while my car was at 4D00?

Anyway, nothing for me to holler about.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by BMadden
A guy I know who was at the Bash last weekend said every NRB car he saw in the waiting area looked worse than all the other colors. His exact description was "pathetic".
Pics?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm having a tough time buying into the notion that the problem is worse with some colors than with others because the orange peal is in the clear coat, not the paint.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,024 Likes on 528 Posts
Tech Contributor

Simply due to the way they reflect light, silver or white are the best colors to mask OP......
Old 05-02-2014, 12:15 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So I figured this must be more widespread than the two I have been able to see up close.

What I don't understand is how GM has spent so much on their paint facilities at Bowling Green (millions of dollars???) and yet put out paint jobs that are as bad as the ones I have seen. I would seriously have refused delivery if my car had shown up like that. I think $60k is a lot to pay for a car and we all should expect a paint job free of defects in this day of age. Mass production is no excuse for a paint job that looks like it was applied with a paint roller.

My 2011 came with a very good paint job on it. It met my expectations for a car of its price and I have been satisfied. I have not noticed any runs, orange peeling, or contamination, although I am going to go look at it more closely after reading this thread. It is hard for me to believe that the red car I saw the other day was painted in the same facility my Grand Sport was painted in. The quality should improve through the years not decrease.

Thank you all for your input. I hope Chevy can unscrew this situation.

Matt
Old 05-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by WackyBob
99% of folks (including myself) don't notice or care about the orange peel.

I can't for the life of me figure out why it drives some folks (who are VERY vocal about it) absolutely insane. The way some of ya'll b#$&h about it you would think the cars were coming out of the factory painted multiple colors or with big globs of paint dripped on the seats.

Get over it....geez
I'm sorry but I think you're wrong. If you saw my car, I think you would say I'm right. There are areas that wouldn't pass a Fiat test.

For the price of this car in a factory that ONLY makes one model, it should be a lot better.

And, I think our being vocal about it is a GOOD thing. There must be people who walk into the showroom wanting to buy a car, look at the finish, look at the price, and then simply walk away. The sooner they get this resolved the sooner those customers will open their checkbooks.

Some don't care. I admit that. Some do and it's a pity that the most expensive passenger GM makes looks more like it's least expensive passenger car.

Last edited by Sin City; 05-02-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,839 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Pics?
No, he didn't send me any to illustrate it. Just told me what he saw looking at all the various colors sitting there.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Paint Jobs... What's Going On?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:37 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Jim if I stop typing I won't be able to respond, now wouldn't that be rude?
I'm in the business, I know what does and doesn't exist and if you want to see perfect paint go look at a Viper.

If the buying public accepts inferiority than that's what will be.

p.s. there is a difference between OP and looking like a roller was used by an orangutan.

Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2014, 01:45 AM
J18369
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '14

Originally Posted by Snorman
It's a steaming load of BS, even on the precious GT-R's he's always opining about.
I've had both of my GT-R's next to my C7 and the OP was virtually the same. Better in some spots on each car and worse in others. Every car I own has OP to some degree.
There was a Porsche owner on here regularly last year, he often stated how great the paint on his new Ram truck was...the paint on both of mine is crap, especially my red one. From reading the Ram forums, it's a very common complaint.
I think lots of people twist reality to support whatever opinion they'd like to put forth. No OP on a modern car? BS. Go look at other brands, and just like with the C7, some are better to very good, some are worse.
S.
Super Silver GT-R's don't have much orange peel... just saying. Of course it is a $3000 paint job...

Name:  rdycc7F.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  707.6 KB
Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 AM
82CFI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been reading all the various threads about OP and posts in this one stating that it occurs only in the clear coat. Can anyone explain why OP occurs only in the clear coat and not in the base (color) coat? What is about the clear paint that makes it susceptible to OP occurring and the complement question - what is it about color paint that makes it immune to OP?

Quick Reply: C7 Paint Jobs... What's Going On?