C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the Dumbest/Silliest Question You've Been Asked About Your Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:52 PM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

Does it bite?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Great post Graybeard. I'm with you on every point.

It does feel silly being asked a first question every time of, "What year is that?" But you're right, most people just want to ask something because they love the car. Then again, lots of people just say, "Beautiful car," and leave it at that.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Walt71
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago, me and a local mechanic talking about cars, engines, etc.
Me: how about that new 427 small block in the Z06?
Mech: Big block
Me: actually it is a small block, new materials allowed the engineers...
Mech: you don't know what you're talking about
Me: Guess not.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
I've read this whole thread and I can't believe the snide attitude a LOT of you guys have.

The owner who said that we are all ambassadors for this car is right. Can't you tell ignorance from stupidity? Most people in this world don't know what the hell a Corvette is, believe it.

An ignorant person just doesn't know exactly what he's looking at, a Viper? (c'mon, they do look a lot alike to the public), a Ferrari? to some people any exotic is a Ferrari, or Lambo. That's a compliment. Can't you take it and kindly inform them it's a Chevy Corvette. Then if they have more questions it's because they don't know much, and they want to know more, tell them. be nice it won't cost you a dime. And it might change the reputation that a lot of Corvette owners have. Next to Porschephiles, a lot of people think of Corvette guys as major schmucks. (I've heard it all after owning these cars for 40 yrs.) Let's change the image, not deny it exists.

Now stupid, and rude, people get different treatment. If some dumbass asked me for a ride around the parking lot with his little kid, I'd say "What kind of a father would let a stranger drive off with his kid?" Or a guy says "My wife wants a ride in your Lamborghini", I'd tell him "Sure, do you want her back, or can we keep on going?"

But if someone is nice and strikes up a conversation, and asks me what the car cost, I'd tell them. But to the butt heads that ask "How much did that cost ya?" I ask them "How much do you make in a year?" If that doesn't embarrass him and he tells me, I say, "Not enough".

As for the ricers that want you to fry your tires for their amusement, try this.
One night I was coming home from the drag strip on a rural four lane. Stopped at a light, a car full of kids in a fart can Honda really wanted me to roast the radials, "Come on man, c'mon". I didn't give them the satisfaction. But when the light changed, I left right with them, and stayed even through first, and halfway through second calling out
"c'mon man, c'mon" mocking them. Then let 'em have it. I gave them the top end of second, (which in a C4 ZR-1 sounds like a demon from hell), and by third I was gone. At the next light we all had a laugh, and they were now Corvette believers.
The point is, you can help educate the ignorant, and shame the dorks, without being the jerk too many people think Corvette guys are.

Very well said.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
I've read this whole thread and I can't believe the snide attitude a LOT of you guys have.

The owner who said that we are all ambassadors for this car is right. Can't you tell ignorance from stupidity? Most people in this world don't know what the hell a Corvette is, believe it.

An ignorant person just doesn't know exactly what he's looking at, a Viper? (c'mon, they do look a lot alike to the public), a Ferrari? to some people any exotic is a Ferrari, or Lambo. That's a compliment. Can't you take it and kindly inform them it's a Chevy Corvette. Then if they have more questions it's because they don't know much, and they want to know more, tell them. be nice it won't cost you a dime. And it might change the reputation that a lot of Corvette owners have. Next to Porschephiles, a lot of people think of Corvette guys as major schmucks. (I've heard it all after owning these cars for 40 yrs.) Let's change the image, not deny it exists.

Now stupid, and rude, people get different treatment. If some dumbass asked me for a ride around the parking lot with his little kid, I'd say "What kind of a father would let a stranger drive off with his kid?" Or a guy says "My wife wants a ride in your Lamborghini", I'd tell him "Sure, do you want her back, or can we keep on going?"

But if someone is nice and strikes up a conversation, and asks me what the car cost, I'd tell them. But to the butt heads that ask "How much did that cost ya?" I ask them "How much do you make in a year?" If that doesn't embarrass him and he tells me, I say, "Not enough".

As for the ricers that want you to fry your tires for their amusement, try this.
One night I was coming home from the drag strip on a rural four lane. Stopped at a light, a car full of kids in a fart can Honda really wanted me to roast the radials, "Come on man, c'mon". I didn't give them the satisfaction. But when the light changed, I left right with them, and stayed even through first, and halfway through second calling out
"c'mon man, c'mon" mocking them. Then let 'em have it. I gave them the top end of second, (which in a C4 ZR-1 sounds like a demon from hell), and by third I was gone. At the next light we all had a laugh, and they were now Corvette believers.
The point is, you can help educate the ignorant, and shame the dorks, without being the jerk too many people think Corvette guys are.

Sorry for the Rant,
I think it's generally even appropriate in many instances to just be a nice guy to the jerks too. I don't normally make snide remarks even to stupid people.

If someone is bothering you, usually they're a light-change away from being a distant memory. Life is too short to care what other people think.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

vette owners do not appear to understand that other car owners dont spend 24/7 studying their car, its features , and compare it to every other car manufactured. if you were to ask the same questions about, say, a kia, would you know the answers? what a bunch of self-absorbed elitists most of you are.

what would you consider a "good" question--what are the 7 gear ratios for your manual trans vs. your 6-speed at? you couldnt even answer that anyway. who are you to judge others by the questions they ask about your car? all they want to do anyway is to tell their friends that they spoke with a real owner of a corvette (which is of course wrong, since in many cases the bank owns a significant--it seems--portion of your car anyway). im done. as you were. go back to shining your C7.

Last edited by thedofuss; 06-17-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
I think it's generally even appropriate in many instances to just be a nice guy to the jerks too. I don't normally make snide remarks even to stupid people.

If someone is bothering you, usually they're a light-change away from being a distant memory. Life is too short to care what other people think.
if you truly believed that, you would not have bought a vette (assuming you did). they are 99% about show, as all cars are--im excluding the 1% of the group that races them.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by m3incorp
I had a lady walk up to me after I parked in a handicap space and ask me why I parked there. I pointed to my Disabled Veteran Tags and the blue handicap hanging from my mirror. She then says you don't look handicapped. I said what does a handicapped person look like and then she asks what my handicap is. I responded that it is erectile dysfunction. She left real quick.
I am sooo going to use that given the opportunity.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I am sooo going to use that given the opportunity.
I'm not sure it's wise to do that, it diminishes so many opportunities.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
if you truly believed that, you would not have bought a vette (assuming you did). they are 99% about show, as all cars are--im excluding the 1% of the group that races them.
Cars are for show? Boy, you just lived up to your screen name with that brilliant comment.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:09 AM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thedofuss
all they want to do anyway is to tell their friends that they spoke with a real owner of a corvette
Bingo....nailed it! All of us know that these strangers wouldn't give us the time of day, if we were driving a Mustang or Camaro.

Some of us love the bought-for attention. Others, like alot of
the folks who posted on this thread... absolutely hate it!

We resent the "stupid" questions... because we understand
the motivation. And it's the motivation that really infuriates us.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I pulled into the dealership today and got out of my Stingray. Some guy walked up behind me and said, "Wow, that's beautiful!" I thanked him-he then asked if this was the new 2014. I said, "Yes, this is the new C7." He tried to look in the window, so I opened up the door for him so he could really see what it looks like inside. I offered him a sit-in-the-car, but he politely refused. But he was SO grateful for the offer!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:05 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mfserge
Cars are for show? Boy, you just lived up to your screen name with that brilliant comment.
oh, yes, i forgot. its about the thrill of driving an amazing corvette around those country roads, with the wind in your hair. get real. you are all about self-aggrandizement, just like me and every other vette owner, and every porsche owner and every kia owner. that doesnt mean youre a bad person, although you may be. it means youre a human being.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:13 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Glen e
this question comes under "here's your sign", only my responses are not snappy enuf....

I guess "how fast will she go? " is what I've heard most....
so do you know the answer? have you had it at top speed? its a good question. almost none of us knows the answer to that--except, of course, the truly great ones like yourself.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

^^^^^^ Well there's the dumbest thing that has ever been said about my Corvette, I bought it to exaggerate my own importance and that all Corvette owners are self-aggrandizing. An absolute idiotic generalization by a true doofus.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:16 PM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I offered him a sit-in-the-car, but he politely refused.
How awesome would this world be if most folks had the class and respect that guy has!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Originally Posted by Mfserge
don't feed the trolls.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the Dumbest/Silliest Question You've Been Asked About Your Corvette?

Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by bglmn
How awesome would this world be if most folks had the class and respect that guy has!
If this were so, no one would have to worry about parking.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
don't feed the trolls.
Your right I should have known better than to feed a troll
Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 AM
RaptorD
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Why would anyone buy such a fancy car with a manual transmission?"

I's not a stupid question. It just means the one asking will never get the thrill of acceleration from driving a Corvette and there's nothing to be gained by trying to provide an answer. It's not for everyone. Sad, maybe, but not stupid. After all, I ask the same of Corolla owners all the time.

Quick Reply: What's the Dumbest/Silliest Question You've Been Asked About Your Corvette?