Sponsored by:

Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Stephani Smith
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
I've posted a number of times reguarding the allocation system. Talking directly to GM, they agree that the system is flawed and not fair. It's one thing to give the huge numbers of allocations to the big boys, but not to fill SOLD orders. There are cars with the Z51 option sitting in dealers inventory. Is that fair to the people who put down a cash deposit and ordered their car? It's tireing to read "you should of gone to a forum dealer". Wake up GM, be fair and fill those sold orders too.
I absolutely agree. The big 3 have hundreds of allocations and you can't convince that this is good for Corvette as a brand to get so specialized. Spread some of those out. Not saying they should not have a good amount, just not IMHO an obscene amount.

My local dealer helped me out big time when my ex husband walked out on me. I was trying to put myself through school and hold onto my only car, my 84 Z51 Corvette, Ronin. It was a very rough patch of years and I could not have done it without their flexibility and help in a number of ways. It would have crushed me to loose my best friend, Ronin, and because of what they did, I was able to keep him running. I don't see MacMulkin, Conti or Kerbeck doing anything like that. Just new sales - and who cares about what happens after.

So when I'm now in a position to buy Ronin a new body I went to them to repay the debt. They sell about 6-10 a year so they are not very big. They were completely honest with me - they had Z51 allocations left but thought it was still going to be at least 3 months. I placed the order on Feb 28, it had every option you can order and still be NCM delivery (3LT, vert, dual stripes, NPP, MSRC, etc.). I've been #1 on their list since I ordered and I know it's tough with the options I wanted.

I just went to 2000 today and I only had to give up the carbon fiber dash. (Which is already ordered and on its way from ShopChevyParts.com). Sometimes the little guys win, ;-).

I used to be on StingrayForums.com and frankly I just am so sick of their attitude that if you don't buy from the big three you aren't worth anything.

You'd think that supporting a fellow corvette owner would be more important? Not to those forum guys.

To those of you still hanging with your local dealer - two weeks ago I had the conversation with my dealer saying that we should probably decide on a 'I give up' date. They were able to turn around and take that to their regional Chevy Rep and wrangle a promise for a Z51 vert slot this week. I don't know if this will help you, but it might be worth a try. Good Luck and my positive thoughts are with you and I commiserate with your frustrations.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Stephani Smith
I absolutely agree. The big 3 have hundreds of allocations and you can't convince that this is good for Corvette as a brand to get so specialized. Spread some of those out. Not saying they should not have a good amount, just not IMHO an obscene amount.

My local dealer helped me out big time when my ex husband walked out on me. I was trying to put myself through school and hold onto my only car, my 84 Z51 Corvette, Ronin. It was a very rough patch of years and I could not have done it without their flexibility and help in a number of ways. It would have crushed me to loose my best friend, Ronin, and because of what they did, I was able to keep him running. I don't see MacMulkin, Conti or Kerbeck doing anything like that. Just new sales - and who cares about what happens after.

So when I'm now in a position to buy Ronin a new body I went to them to repay the debt. They sell about 6-10 a year so they are not very big. They were completely honest with me - they had Z51 allocations left but thought it was still going to be at least 3 months. I placed the order on Feb 28, it had every option you can order and still be NCM delivery (3LT, vert, dual stripes, NPP, MSRC, etc.). I've been #1 on their list since I ordered and I know it's tough with the options I wanted.

I just went to 2000 today and I only had to give up the carbon fiber dash. (Which is already ordered and on its way from ShopChevyParts.com). Sometimes the little guys win, ;-).

I used to be on StingrayForums.com and frankly I just am so sick of their attitude that if you don't buy from the big three you aren't worth anything.

You'd think that supporting a fellow corvette owner would be more important? Not to those forum guys.

To those of you still hanging with your local dealer - two weeks ago I had the conversation with my dealer saying that we should probably decide on a 'I give up' date. They were able to turn around and take that to their regional Chevy Rep and wrangle a promise for a Z51 vert slot this week. I don't know if this will help you, but it might be worth a try. Good Luck and my positive thoughts are with you and I commiserate with your frustrations.

It's good you finally got your order in, but you can't really get mad a others on any forum that say go to a forum dealer. Why? Because from our perspective, when a dealer is keeping you at 1100, we can only assume it is because he has no allocation. So the only logical suggestion is a forum dealer as WE KNOW YOU WILL GET A CAR THEN.

We really don't know anything else. Many ask what should I do? We tell them a forum dealer, then they get mad we're dissing their guy. We don't know "your guy" and give the only answer we know will work.....
Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
No, like Glen said, the new appearance package coming out next year will fill most of the demand.

More than half of my customer this year who ordered a Z51 only did it for the wheels, true story! Once you can get the Z51 wheels and painted mirrors people will make the switch particularly if they make another big bump in price on the Z51 package.

Dave
If they make another big bump in price, I'll be buying a Cayman S because it will be cheaper.

That last price increase when you factor in Z51 was ridiculous.

Michael
Old 05-21-2014, 10:03 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
If they make another big bump in price, I'll be buying a Cayman S because it will be cheaper.

That last price increase when you factor in Z51 was ridiculous.

Michael
No way a Cayman S will be cheaper....

Current MSRP on a 2014 Cayman S is $63,800
Current MSRP on a 2LT 2014 Z51 is $62,205

So, the Corvette is CHEAPER and MUCH better equipped (everything on a Porsche is an OPTION). Even if the 2015 2LT Z51 goes up to $65,000, it's still a LOT cheaper than a Cayman S with similar equipment (and that's assuming the 2015 Cayman S doesn't go up, which is HIGHLY unlikely).

Jimmy
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by laborsmith
The first year of the C6 we had the Z51 on limited constraint for almost the whole model year. A fact.

Starting with the second year of production there may have been intermittent constraints or may not have been but if there were they were minimal.

I am the outsider agreeing with the insiders. You follow?

Laborsmith
Of course you are aware that the second year(2006) of the C6 production, the Z51 option was upstaged by the 2006 Z06. That might have had a major effect on Z51 demand just as the 2015 Z06 will have on the Z51.

A lot of people buy the "Top Dog" option because it is the "Top Dog". For the second year of C7's production, the Z51 will no longer be the "Top Dog" and sales will reflect it.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM
sp330
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Please first read Mr. Glen's response to you.

That's great your local dealer helped you out like that, but to think the big forum dealers only care about new sales is absolutely ridiculous.

If those big dealers only cared about new sales, then nobody would buy from them afterward. Nobody would recommend them. And guess what? They wouldn't be a big Corvette dealer then.

If someone was treated poorly for ordering a dash trim piece they vent about it on the forum, why wouldn't someone vent when they're ordering a brand new car? Or need help after the sale was made?

Assuming those big 3 wouldn't help someone in a sticky situation is flat out unfair.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
sp330
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb

So, the Corvette is CHEAPER and MUCH better equipped (everything on a Porsche is an OPTION). Even if the 2015 2LT Z51 goes up to $65,000, it's still a LOT cheaper than a Cayman S with similar equipment (and that's assuming the 2015 Cayman S doesn't go up, which is HIGHLY unlikely).

Jimmy
Even if you buy a Corvette at sticker and option the Porsche to a comparable level of the 2LT and get a good discount, the Porsche will still be more expensive.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The first year of the C6 we had the Z51 on limited constraint for almost the whole model year. A fact.

Starting with the second year of production there may have been intermittent constraints or may not have been but if there were they were minimal.

I am the outsider agreeing with the insiders. You follow?

Laborsmith
I ordered my 2006 Z51 coupe on Jan 16th 2006 and drove away from the NCM on March 23rd.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:16 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Of course you are aware that the second year(2006) of the C6 production, the Z51 option was upstaged by the 2006 Z06. That might have had a major effect on Z51 demand just as the 2015 Z06 will have on the Z51.
My point exactly. I can not recall, but was the Z06 a mid year availability?

Laborsmith
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

My point exactly. I can not recall, but was the Z06 a mid year availability?

Laborsmith
The 2006 Z06 was released at the same time as the base 2006 C6. But the 2006 base C6 release was delayed because the 6 speed automatic transmission(for the base C6, not the Z06) was not ready for the normal June model year changeover.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I believe that ~7% of new Corvettes are sold by the top 3 dealers, ~12% are sold by the top 10 dealers, 33% of new Corvettes are sold by the top 50 dealers and 80% of new Corvettes sales are sold by the top 900 dealers.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I believe that ~7% of new Corvettes are sold by the top 3 dealers, ~12% are sold by the top 10 dealers, 33% of new Corvettes are sold by the top 50 dealers and 80% of new Corvettes sales are sold by the top 900 dealers.
I'm not sure if this is correct Joe.

I read that Kerbeck had 1,200 allocations for 2014. If there are, say, 25,000 sold then that is almost 7% by one dealer.

Maybe your stats are correct but I would bet the top 3 sell notably more than 7% based on the Kerbeck allocation alone.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb

Jimmy
I hear you, Jimmy. I was saying that half sarcastically, but if they keep putting in these $4000 bumps in price... the Corvette bargain starts fading. I just pulled up the Porsche 2015 Price List, and it looks there was no increase in price for 2015 for the Cayman S.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 05-21-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered one from a local dealer in November but had to give up and drive from SC to NH to get my car. I got the car from dealers stock and drove it back home. The car had everything I wanted (Z51, 3LT, exhaust, magnetic ride, 7 speed vert in silver) the only thing it did not have was the carbon fiber dash. I have heard it isn't that hard to switch the dash to C/F and I would probably switch mine if I was not going to nuy a new Vette in less than 2 hears.

In my situation summer was getting close and I did not want to go through the summer without a new Stingray. If I was in your situation I would try to get something close. For me it was a choose of having everything exactly the way I wanted it with the exception of the C/F dash or not having a car this summer.

The NH dealer seems like one of the few dealers that does not add on any extra charges. This was the the first time I paid sticker price but at least it was not over sicker and the fact that I saved $3,200 by getting a car that was built before march 3rd made it tolerable

Lest's assume you find something real close you have to decide if you would rather settle or be without a C7 this summer.

PS I do not know if you ordered the exhaust option but for me the few extra horse power isn't as important as the beautiful sound of the exhaust. and on a long drive the exhaust sound is a little tedious so I like the fact that I can just turn it off and go quiet mode I want to
Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
No, like Glen said, the new appearance package coming out next year will fill most of the demand.

More than half of my customer this year who ordered a Z51 only did it for the wheels, true story! Once you can get the Z51 wheels and painted mirrors people will make the switch particularly if they make another big bump in price on the Z51 package.

Dave

If this is true, how sad for Corvette buyers.

What you're saying is that there are a bunch of posers out there who want a fake Z51 or bought the Z51 last year not for the performance edge but just to have the bigger wheels and spoiler.

That is truly sad. I would have thought most would have bought the Z51 for the performance, not for the way it looks.

I can tell you I bought mine because I actually thought the standard car was better looking but wanted the performance the Z51 offered. And, I'm not disappointed.

Why else to you buy a car like this? To look good going to Starbucks?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

I don't see anything sad about that....thank god it drives business....most hi perf cars are there to make a statement only.......just the way the buying public is....very few really own cars to use them in perf situations.....just like the ameteur duffer golfer owns a $400 Taylor made driver....
Old 05-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I don't see anything sad about that....thank god it drives business....most hi perf cars are there to make a statement only.......just the way the buying public is....very few really own cars to use them in perf situations.....just like the ameteur duffer golfer owns a $400 Taylor made driver....
I agree, there's nothing sad about it. The base Corvette IS a performance car. If can really be honest, 80% of the people who bought a Z51 have no need for the extra options and will NEVER get the benefit of those options.

The only mistake GM made was not anticipating the popularity of that wheel design and/or the black wheel. 50% Z51 would have been more than enough if it wasn't for the wheel. It's got nothing to do with being a poser or a wanna-be, it's about the style that you like.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car

Old 05-21-2014, 04:06 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sin City
If this is true, how sad for Corvette buyers.

What you're saying is that there are a bunch of posers out there who want a fake Z51 or bought the Z51 last year not for the performance edge but just to have the bigger wheels and spoiler.

That is truly sad. I would have thought most would have bought the Z51 for the performance, not for the way it looks.

I can tell you I bought mine because I actually thought the standard car was better looking but wanted the performance the Z51 offered. And, I'm not disappointed.

Why else to you buy a car like this? To look good going to Starbucks?
I agree with you on the appearance! I like the base wheels better and I like the regular spoiler better, and the base car will do more than I am capable of. So, at that point, why buy Z51? (from my standpoint).

Based on Dave's hint (!), it sounds like the Z51 wheel/tire combo will be available next year on the base car as a stand alone option.

Jimmy
Old 05-21-2014, 04:21 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Michael A
I hear you, Jimmy. I was saying that half sarcastically, but if they keep putting in these $4000 bumps in price... the Corvette bargain starts fading. I just pulled up the Porsche 2015 Price List, and it looks there was no increase in price for 2015 for the Cayman S.

Michael
Hey Michael,
For fun, I just went to the Porsche site and built out a 2014 Cayman S with as many options as I could to get close to the level (and similarity) of equipment on a 2LT Z51. My final price....$81,445

I think the 2015 Corvettes will go up but I think it will be a more normal type increase (3 - 5%) than the big jump they took mid-year 2014.

Jimmy
Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
It's good you finally got your order in, but you can't really get mad a others on any forum that say go to a forum dealer. Why? Because from our perspective, when a dealer is keeping you at 1100, we can only assume it is because he has no allocation. So the only logical suggestion is a forum dealer as WE KNOW YOU WILL GET A CAR THEN.

We really don't know anything else. Many ask what should I do? We tell them a forum dealer, then they get mad we're dissing their guy. We don't know "your guy" and give the only answer we know will work.....
I don't believe she's mad that someone suggested going to a forum dealer. I believe it's more the way some people make that suggestion. There's nice and then there's arrogant. I've seen it on numerous threads, even going are far as name calling. Helpful suggestions are always welcome, but don't get mean and nasty, and suggest that a person is stupid for not using a forum dealer.

Quick Reply: Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car