C7 SuperCharged vs 2015 ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts
Default C7 SuperCharged vs 2015 ZO6

Ok, this is starting to drive me crazy

I'm waiting to get a ZO6 which most likely won't be in my hands for another 12-18 months. I was actually waiting to place a deposit because I'm not crazy about 1st year cars and I'm hoping for some crazy color to come out that I can drool over.

But here's my dilemma. I'm reading all these threads about guys with a A&A, ECS or ProCharger superchargers on their car.

They only cost approx $5k plus install to get 200HP

Aside from NOS I've never seen such cheap HP, simply amazing.

The Chevy ZO6 website says the 2015 ZO6 will have "at least 625HP".

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-z06-supercar.html

From what I'm seeing the cars on this forum are making 600+ RWHP when a SuperCharger is added, I've seen as high as 623 RWHP with No other mods (no cold air intake, no headers, no fancy tune, etc...)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...rocharger.html

623 RWWHP + 12% drive train loss (I'm just guessing) is the equivalent of 700+ Flywheel HP

My car will go to the quarter mile track a few times, but mostly street driven. I thought about taking my ZO6 to a road course but I'm worried about wrecking it.

Instead of WAITING for this infamous ZO6 I was thinking about buying a C7, Z51, 7 speed and Adding a Supercharger from one of the vendors in this forum. I would have it professionally installed. About the only mod I can see getting would be a Cold Air Intake. I would probably want a pro tune vs the simple tune.

This way I could drive it this summer and not drive myself crazy.

I was going to wait but my neighbor pulls up in his driveway last Saturday with a brand new Silver C7. OMG it looks awesome. Now I have to see this car every day

I "think" the 2015 ZO6 is going to have an Eaton supercharger.

I think it would suck if I bought a 2015 ZO6 with 625HP and someone pulls up next to me with a C7 Supercharged and has 700 HP for less money.

Can anyone simplify this for me?

Are the Superchargers offered in this forum more Powerful than the Eaton?

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 05-19-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

While a charged C7 might get a few more horsepower, you also blow the warranty. The Z06 will be covered for five years. If you have to have that extra 50hp, fine. Otherwise, I would go with the Z06.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The z06 has a different design than the current Zr1. The ones being offered now for the c7 are the old design and have more CFM's 2 something verse 1 something for the new c7 z06 the rotors are up down not front to rear like the current zr1 this give more hood clearance. Hope this helps don't want to look up all the specs.
z51vett
Doug
Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

With the Z06 you get more than just HP.
You get *real* wheels & tires, 5y 100k warranty and more!

I have a C7 that I'm about to get rid of and I'm thinking of getting a base C7 and throw on my ProCharger & ARH that I have in my basement until my C7 Z06 comes in next year.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:51 AM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

In addition to the extra horsepower, the Z06 has bigger brakes and wider wheels and tires and a race tuned suspension. While you would have similar horsepower, you will not be able to match the Z06 in overall performance. If drag racing is you main goal then a supercharger is the way to go. You seem to be mixing up superchargers a bit, as there are big differences. The ECS and A&A superchargers are centrifical units and don't provide much low end boost. I have an A&A unit on my otherwise stock C5 engine and it makes 502 hp at the real wheels, but virtually no increase until the engine is above 2500 rpm. The Eaton supercharger is a Rootes type unit and provides a lot of low end boost at the expense of overall top end power. Either will give you more power than stock C7 wheels and tires can handle.

Phil
Old 05-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by phil hunter
In addition to the extra horsepower, the Z06 has bigger brakes and wider wheels and tires and a race tuned suspension. While you would have similar horsepower, you will not be able to match the Z06 in overall performance. If drag racing is you main goal then a supercharger is the way to go. You seem to be mixing up superchargers a bit, as there are big differences.

The ECS and A&A superchargers are centrifical units and don't provide much low end boost.

I have an A&A unit on my otherwise stock C5 engine and it makes 502 hp at the real wheels, but virtually no increase until the engine is above 2500 rpm.

The Eaton supercharger is a Rootes type unit and provides a lot of low end boost at the expense of overall top end power.

Either will give you more power than stock C7 wheels and tires can handle.

Phil
Learned something new today

All I know about Superchargers and Turbos is they pump more air into the engine, that's about it.

Above 2,500 RPM baffles me. Let's say I'm running the 1320, I leave the line at 3,000 RPM, I then hit redline and shift, repeat... till race is over.

I'll never fall below 2,500 RPM so why should it make difference? On a road course I can see how it would.

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 05-19-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
While a charged C7 might get a few more horsepower, you also blow the warranty. The Z06 will be covered for five years.

If you have to have that extra 50hp, fine. Otherwise, I would go with the Z06.

Well the GM site says "at least 625HP".

Is there no way it will match the HP that superchargers are offered in this forum?

A&A, ECS, and Procharger.

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 05-19-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

You simply can't compare the reliability of an OEM installed SC compared to an aftermarket one. Not to mention the other mods that make it a more complete supercar.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is cruise the streets and hit a 1/4 mile strip occasionally, it's probably hard to go wrong w/ a StingRay w/ a $5K SC kit.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
You simply can't compare the reliability of an OEM installed SC compared to an aftermarket one. Not to mention the other mods that make it a more complete supercar.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is cruise the streets and hit a 1/4 mile strip occasionally, it's probably hard to go wrong w/ a StingRay w/ a $5K SC kit.
I completely agree that the real ZO6 is a complete car. I especially like the bigger brakes, the ZO7 has monster brakes

I still want the Z, just hope I can hold out till then.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:30 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, as a THOROUGHLY satisfied C7 owner (hands-down, the best car I've ever owned), I think it sounds like you want a Z06 and just don't want to wait. To me, that means that if you get the C7 now - you'll have buyer's remorse down the road when the Z06 hits.

For now, why don't you focus on getting in on a forum vendor's wait list as high up as you can?

By the way, who cares if someone pulls up next to you on the streets and they have more horsepower?? Such is life. There will always be someone with a more powerful car.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Swath
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing to consider.. Insurance.

C7 + supercharger = base C7 insurance.

Z06/Z07 = ???? No one knows what insurance will be on a car built for the track, if you can even get insurance that won't make you sign a waver that you're not taking your track car to the track.

I've gone the C7/Z51 with an ECS supercharger and kept the other $30K for other things.

If brakes are a big concern, $8K changes all four out to true race brakes that you can maintain without huge costs like the carbon ceramic rotors that cost a fortune.

Tires are also easy to change and you can get tires that won't set you back $1600 a set when you smoke them. And don't think the bigger tires on the Z06 will hold all that torque either, they'll spin.

There is also stealth. You pull up beside a Z06/Z07 and you know what he's got. A C7 and you have no idea.

At the end of the day it boils down to money and who wants to whip it out and have a bigger.....smile.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You might not save a lot of money, but if you want it now, and still want a warranty.......call Callaway.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
... if you want it now, and still want a warranty.......call Callaway.
www.callawaycars.com
Attached Images       
Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

no matter what you drop into the C7...two entirely different cars...but you know that.. Once you get into that HP territory it is just bragging rights very little of it makes it to the pavement...
Old 05-19-2014, 08:45 PM
phil hunter
Pro

OK, the 2500 rpm is for information and comparison, If you have an automatic, you will most likely need a higher stall converter to launch at 3000 rpm. And by the way, your stock clutch is not made to handle the kind of horsepower you will have with a supercharger, so it won't last very many 3000 rpm launches, especially with a rootes type supercharger that makes more power and torque at lower rpm. Also, you will blow the tires off unless you are running drag racing tires. The centrifical supercharger and turbos, don't make any real power at low rpm, so you can get the car launched more easily. It is also a lot easier on the drive train to have the car rolling before big power is applied. Of course, the car won't be quite as quick. Those who raced back in the day with 7" slicks, know all about getting a car off the line with limited traction. It can be done, but it takes a fair amount of skill to do it. As mentioned earlier a Z06 can easily blow off it's tires and they are much larger and stickier than what a standard C7 is equipped with.

Phil
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would think that if you want to go after market you are taking a shot at no warranty and high cost if it breaks. You can get power and warranty from a couple of forum vendors, Callaway for one, but it ain't cheap. But you are protected with a good warranty
Still not a purpose built car as the Z06 is, check with Callaway and see what their upgrades will cost if you want something close to the Z, that might be enough to help your wait.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The gm z06 package has 300,000 mile validation testing. Gm also makes sure you get truly the best performance balance.

The tuner cars are great fun yet for the best balanced most reliable fully engineered for carefree ownership experience.....I recommend the z06 from gm.

Tuner cars will easily make more power etc.....but for the total envelope.....the z06 would be a preferred way to go.

Jmo and good luck

Get notified of new replies

To C7 SuperCharged vs 2015 ZO6

Old 05-19-2014, 09:59 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Edlebrock have some sort of 'extended warranty' thing with their eForce setup?

I know a few years down the road (once the factory warranty's expired) I'll be looking into one of their kits for my C7, but seeing as the C7 stock puts down ~40 less rwhp than my supercharged C5 did, I'll probably be more than happy with a stock C7 for a good while.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:49 AM
phil hunter
Pro

Haven't seen any dyno numbers for a stock C7, but I'd guess the rear wheel horsepower to be somewhere around 400-410, based upon the factory rated HP. That means your blown C5 was only making about 440-450? That seems a bit low for a supercharged LS1. My otherwise bone stock LS1 equipped with an A&A V3 Si Vortech supercharger made 502 rwhp at 10 psi without Meth and I have seen some others as high as 520.

Phil
Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by phil hunter
OK, the 2500 rpm is for information and comparison, If you have an automatic, you will most likely need a higher stall converter to launch at 3000 rpm.

And by the way, your stock clutch is not made to handle the kind of horsepower you will have with a supercharger, so it won't last very many 3000 rpm launches, especially with a rootes type supercharger that makes more power and torque at lower rpm.

Also, you will blow the tires off unless you are running drag racing tires. The centrifical supercharger and turbos, don't make any real power at low rpm, so you can get the car launched more easily. It is also a lot easier on the drive train to have the car rolling before big power is applied. Of course, the car won't be quite as quick. Those who raced back in the day with 7" slicks, know all about getting a car off the line with limited traction. It can be done, but it takes a fair amount of skill to do it. As mentioned earlier a Z06 can easily blow off it's tires and they are much larger and stickier than what a standard C7 is equipped with.

Phil
Damn, the clutch completely slipped my mind

That's a biggie for me, the burnout King

Quick Reply: C7 SuperCharged vs 2015 ZO6