Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could possibly have caused this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Cvillez51
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What could possibly have caused this?

Had to have my bumper pulled and replaced (long story, another time...). With the bumper off I get a call from body shop asking about the right fender where it was cracked and adhesive had been applied. My reaction was "what??!" Only time my car has been out if my possession was when I took the car in for 1st oil change and to have the radio reflashed. They ended up bricking the radio and having to outright replace it which called for an overnight stay. That is the only time car has not been with me and only place where I can imagine adhesive could have been applied unless bowling green ships them that way. My body shop tech said I would not have noticed it without bumper off. Could this have happened by lifting car for oil change? Wtf???

Service mgr (body work being done at same dealer as service) supposedly going to give me a call. Don't even know how to approach this...
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

looks stepped on....
Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why many of us would rather have 3 root canals than leave a Corvette with the dealer. Expect a chorus of 'Not me' ..

I doubt it came that way from the factory.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cvillez51
Had to have my bumper pulled and replaced (long story, another time...). With the bumper off I get a call from body shop asking about the right fender where it was cracked and adhesive had been applied. My reaction was "what??!" Only time my car has been out if my possession was when I took the car in for 1st oil change and to have the radio reflashed. They ended up bricking the radio and having to outright replace it which called for an overnight stay. That is the only time car has not been with me and only place where I can imagine adhesive could have been applied unless bowling green ships them that way. My body shop tech said I would not have noticed it without bumper off. Could this have happened by lifting car for oil change? Wtf???

Service mgr (body work being done at same dealer as service) supposedly going to give me a call. Don't even know how to approach this...

Both of mine are the same way, broken... Though, after thinking about it for a minute, I didn't think it matters all that much. I guess it's being broken at the time of installation & since it's such a small weak extended piece of the corner panel it wouldn't take much to snap it.

2014 z51 a6 build 11/14/13
Vin8693

Wormwood
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I would not rule the assembly line out. Wonder how many cars also have this defect? Out of sight, have service department apply adhesive and then forget about about it.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Only time my car has been out if my possession was when I took the car in for 1st oil change and to have the radio reflashed.
odo mileage you wrote down upon dropping tha car off - compared to the mileage reading when you picked it up ???

no dealer "test drive" is needed for an oil change/radio reflash
Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Cvillez51
Advanced

Just talked to service mgr. they had cameras on car which he reviewed. 3 different techs touched car, none where this would have happened. Part not visible from exterior. Broke from bottom up, implying possible drop before attached in 1st place. Non stress point, would probably never noticed unless had parts removed like I did. Maybe it was assembly line - sounds plausible...
Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Just talked to service mgr. they had cameras on car which he reviewed. 3 different techs touched car, none where this would have happened. Part not visible from exterior. Broke from bottom up, implying possible drop before attached in 1st place. Non stress point, would probably never noticed unless had parts removed like I did. Maybe it was assembly line - sounds plausible...
More "Quality is Job One" work out of Bowling Green.

Michael
Old 05-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

As Jerryv said, nobody is going to raise their hand. This falls under $hit happens. Have your dealer guy do a fix that nobody will see anyway.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:01 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You're fortunate that the body work is being done at the dealership where the previous work was done. Otherwise there would be a lot of fingerpointing and maybe no resolution.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's couple of shots of my corner panels where they mount just in front of the headlamp assy.

I have no idea how they got like this but guessing by the number of attachment points the front corner panels have it was snapped when adjusting everything for even gaps between the panels.

Wormwood

Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Wonger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a poor design where the panel isn't strong enough to support the load. Yikes, too expensive to recall and have to mess with matching paint when they struggle with cars straight off the line with that. Have to Remember not to lean on the fender when mine arrives.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 PM
larry knapp
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wormwood
Here's couple of shots of my corner panels where they mount just in front of the headlamp assy.

I have no idea how they got like this but guessing by the number of attachment points the front corner panels have it was snapped when adjusting everything for even gaps between the panels.

Wormwood

Where exactly is this part?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by larry knapp
Where exactly is this part?
Don't worry, its in an area where nobody can see it. Besides we were told to stop complaining.

Great car, but lets hope they take care of these ongoing minor issues. Cracked fenders, people are OK with that?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:30 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

It appears this is under the headlights and only visible with the bumper off and the lights removed? Regardless, it's ****... someone send pics to GM. They need to reinforce the area.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 PM
Cvillez51
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
It appears this is under the headlights and only visible with the bumper off and the lights removed? Regardless, it's ****... someone send pics to GM. They need to reinforce the area.
What's worse, apparently they have no qualms letting workers put poor band aids on the line instead of quality control. Should never have gotten out of there like that at anywhere near the price points we paid! I feel violated.

Get notified of new replies

To What could possibly have caused this?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:52 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

They'll probably come up with (or already have) a glued on reinforcement bracket for the fender.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Cvillez51
Advanced

Make no mistake, I absolutely love my car and before today have enjoyed 6 months of ownership bliss and still love each and every time I get behind the wheel. The radio problem I could deal with (had a jaguar radio replaced 4 times), but poor patches put on during assembly is unacceptable.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan12
Don't worry, its in an area where nobody can see it. Besides we were told to stop complaining.

Great car, but lets hope they take care of these ongoing minor issues. Cracked fenders, people are OK with that?
dan, you forgot to add "for the money" after "great car". but, by now, i presume its implied to be there.

Quick Reply: What could possibly have caused this?