C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apsis: Do you have an uncomfortable experience with C7 Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Oh, I don't know. My butt is considered a "Medium Butt" by the International Butt Certification Institute (IBCI), and I have not yet run into any Butt Comfort Issues (BCIs). If I do, I'll maybe write a paper and perhaps seek a grant to conduct a Corvette focused "Analog Butt Size Analysis" (ABSA).

You know, I am only pulling your.......leg
I have the XL butt per the afore mentioned standard and experienced the same discomfort as OP. Otherwise much more supportive than the C6.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Randy WS6
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The seats feel great, except for the hump in the left lower boaster , it kills my leg.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

After 10 months I notice my seat bottom bolster are getting flatter and more comfortable.i took a 500 mile trip home the day I got it and didn't notice anything wrong with seat, maybe because it was new and I was experimenting with all the car had to offer. I did notice the discomfort after 3 months but i got used to it, now it's fine.
I am planning to go to Daytona in 3 weeks about 1000 miles and I usually do it in one day with my Lincoln MKS, with the C7 this time I may need to stop but I doubt it. LOL
Old 07-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,927 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasterback
I have had the exact same problem with the base seat bolsters. I brought it to a custom upholstery shop and they cut down the bolsters. It is still a problem unless they take the bolster all the way down. I also tried a thick beach towel folded 2" thick, helped a bit but not the resolution. To bad Chevrolet doesn't offer a fix for the seat bolsters. The average age buying these cars is around 60 they should have realized most people buying corvettes don't take them to the race track they use them as every day transportation.
So what you are saying is we should go back to the C6 seats.

No, thanks.

I've seen the problem. I don't think a "bench seat" is the solution. They just need to re-contour the bolster slightly, not eliminate it or make it non-functional. I would also like to see more bolster towards the front of the seat, as Recaro's have.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 07-16-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 PM
todd5851
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first drove my C7 the left bolster felt uncomfortable, like it was pushing into my leg. We took a 6 day 1500 mile trip last week and it doesn't bother me anymore. Either I got used to it or I ended up positioning myself differently in the seat or perhaps both, IDK.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM
rdhadj
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
The seats feel great, except for the hump in the left lower boaster , it kills my leg.
I have exactly the same issue. Pinches so bad in my left leg area that I get numbness down the sciatic nerve. Had an upholstory shop make a cushion that molds to the seat shape on the bottom but is flat across the top. It is covered in the same leather and in the same design as the original seat so you do not even notice it being there. Seems to work much better. Takes the pressure off the nerve pinch area. Taking a 4000 mile run over the next 2 weeks, so I will report further upon my return.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:49 PM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 610 Likes on 412 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The July 4th holiday we went to Canada and it's almost 2000 miles trip. My left leg was really hurting even till today. The way GM shape the left bolster really caused such uncomfortness. Definitely during the winter time we will rebuild the seat to improve it. The seat discourages me to drive the new C7.

Good to know there are so many customers having the same problem as I experience.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:27 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by apsisusa
This past weekend we had memorial getaway ride with our new C7 Vert and it's about 1200 miles trip.

I found out the vertical section of seat was ok but the horizontal section was soooooooo uncomfortable especially the side bolster where the thigh sat over. I even felt pain and num so I had to lift up my leg to prevent my thigh laying over the bolster.

On my way home I tried to push the side bolster down and outward with my hand and then I felt much more comfortable. I felt the way the side bolster was designed it seemed the angle of cushion was too sharp and it created too much pressure on the thigh.

My wife had same experience although she is skinnier.

I am wondering if it's just me or some of you have similar experience with C7 Seats?

Some of you may have bigger butt than us and weigh heavier. Just wondering if you feel better since you may sit over the entire horizontal section?

Like to hear your experience.

If many of you have same or similar experience, then we may consider to do some mod for C7 Seats to improve the comfortness. (?)
In answer to your question, NO....these are by far the most comfortable seats in a car I have ever experienced....in fact, they are more comfortable than any chairs in my house!
Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Athrose
Instructor

I have he same issue as the OP. Had the car since last October and the left leg is very uncomfortable unless I raise my leg or sit way to the right in the seat. Still love the ride though.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rdhadj
I have exactly the same issue. Pinches so bad in my left leg area that I get numbness down the sciatic nerve. Had an upholstory shop make a cushion that molds to the seat shape on the bottom but is flat across the top. It is covered in the same leather and in the same design as the original seat so you do not even notice it being there. Seems to work much better. Takes the pressure off the nerve pinch area. Taking a 4000 mile run over the next 2 weeks, so I will report further upon my return.
Would you please post a photo?

I have this problem with seats on long trips due to my fat ***. would love something like you describe.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 PM
rdhadj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dwward
Would you please post a photo?

I have this problem with seats on long trips due to my fat ***. would love something like you describe.
Here are three photos of the pad I had designed and made. Had to order the kalahari leather (smooth and perforated) from a supplier in Detroit.
Attached Images    
The following 2 users liked this post by rdhadj:
JJoeG (03-18-2020), Supercrewbear (06-22-2018)
Old 07-17-2014, 05:53 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Nicely done!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:07 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by rdhadj
Here are three photos of the pad I had designed and made. Had to order the kalahari leather (smooth and perforated) from a supplier in Detroit.
Nice idea. I remember that years ago Recaro had a version of their seat with bolsters on the backrest but pretty much flat on the seat--designed for people with mobility problems to make it easier to enter and exit but still to give side to side support. You have pretty much replicated what those seats looked like.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:36 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Found a similar comfort problem when wearing jeans. Took the wallet out of my left pocket and comfort improved.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:17 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Comfy here!

Originally Posted by Kracka
Just got back from a 2,200 mile roadtrip and we were very comfortable the entire way. Being a taller guy I could use a little more room to really be comfortable, but the seats (standard GT) themselves were great. I'm 6'3" 210 lbs and she's 5'3" however many lbs a short skinny white chick is. I'm glad I didn't opt for the competition seats.
Standard seats in mine too...I find them very comfortable on long drives and I did 900 miles the first day! My only complaint about the C7 interior is that it is just plain cramped. Not nearly enough range of adjustment available for big people. Go to WalMart one night, watch the MANY, ahem, "large customers" waddling along in the aisles, and ask yourself how many of those average americans could even fit in a C7!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM
URDOC
5th Gear

Default Me too

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
I have the Comp seats and they do the same thing , after driving for a while I start hurting on my left thigh and I have the M7 and it hurts really bad after cruising around pushing in on the clutch pedal, almost feels like a pulled muscle in my left leg. I was going to take it on my vacation to FL. but im going to leave it at home , I don't want to hurt all the way down there. Its a shame that I cant drive it on long distances

Where the red arrow is where it hurt my thigh, I have a 34" waist
I didn't want to bring this up as I'm a first time owner of a vette (C7). I'm 6'0'' 230. Just thought there is some discomfort with beauty Your location you circled is my exact problem as well. My hope is there is some discomfort due to the "new-ness" of the leather and bolster and would "break-in" over time. Actually I noticed when I put my seat back and then raised it while reclining the back--figuratively like a check mark on paper--I could find a decent position and it took some pressure off. The flatter the seat the more pressure on the hamstring and outer thigh. It's not perfect but better.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Well I've driven 4 so far 3 standard one competition seat convertible 1 auto 3 sticks and yes my left thigh hurts and if in pass seat my right thigh hurts. 5' 6" tall 180 36 inch waste 42 chest.
z51vett
Doug
Ps I have a 2015 standard seat z51 coming before any comments start flying.

Get notified of new replies

To Apsis: Do you have an uncomfortable experience with C7 Seats?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,300 Likes on 861 Posts

My wife and I took a 200+ mile ride this week. Narrow, winding, 2 lane roads, lots of shifting. No issues with the seats except I really could use just a bit more leg room and a bit more recline. Not quite as much room as my C6, but comfortable. Standard seats, 2LT, bolsters setting all the way down, some lumbar support in. I'm 6'1", 245. Wife is 5'5" and on the large side. Stopped for some wine tasting and came back with 3 cases of wine.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I'm 5'10" 185lbs. These are the most comfortable seats of any Corvette I've ever sat in. Maybe playing with the adjustments would help your situation.
Have you checked out other C7's to see if the seats feel the same? Could be some foam was left out accidentally during assembly.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:41 PM
EvoX2008
Instructor

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
I'm 5'10" 185lbs. These are the most comfortable seats of any Corvette I've ever sat in. Maybe playing with the adjustments would help your situation.
Have you checked out other C7's to see if the seats feel the same? Could be some foam was left out accidentally during assembly.
I'm really on the fence now as to which seats to order. I'd like the comp seats, as they seem the most similar to the Recaro seats in my Evo X. I'm 6"4' and about 240lbs. I'm wondering if I should just go for the GT seats or if I should spring for the comp seats. Trying them before I but would help - but I can't find any comp seats to sit in! I don't suppose anyone is familiar with the Evo seats lol? Anyone have any measurements as to how wide the comp seats are across the base? From the pictures, both seats look to be less aggressive fitment wise than the ones that I'm used to (but may flare out less towards the front).

Pic of the Recaro's that I'm referencing at the bottom:
http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2007...r-evo-x-debut/

Quick Reply: Apsis: Do you have an uncomfortable experience with C7 Seats?