Sponsored by:

Sold my 2013 Porsche 911 for this Z51 Cyber Gray Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:55 AM
entman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sold my 2013 Porsche 911 for this Z51 Cyber Gray Convertible

So far very happy. Here a are some pictures.
Attached Images      

Last edited by entman; 05-30-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Great looking car you have there, congrats. The fact that you gave up a 911 for it is quite a statement in my book!
Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 AM
entman
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
Great looking car you have there, congrats. The fact that you gave up a 911 for it is quite a statement in my book!
It's something I hear that a lot from people . One person said what is the world coming to ? Having had 3 new 911's I can say I bought this car because I liked it better. not because it was less expensive. If GM would improve the quality control it would go a long way to improving the reputation of the corvette. Fortunately the issues I have had have been very minor so far .
Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Congratulations on a great looking Vette.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Absolutely beautiful car!
S.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:32 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

That's a great looking ride congrats
Old 05-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Congrats on a stunning looking vert, enjoy!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:56 AM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome ride! I am a long time 911 lover and have owned at least a dozen over the years (turbos, targas, verts, C4's, GT3's etc.) and looked long and hard at a 991 before choosing the C7. For me both are awesome vehicles but the price gap didn't justify the better quality and visually there was no contest.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:58 AM
LIVetteFan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, congrats!! Save the Wave!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

I just sold a Top Flight (3x) 1963 Corvette Coupe (SWC) to purchase this new Stingray. Picking car up next week and hoping that I did not make a mistake. I did a 7 year body off restoration, and car was almost perfect. Took three top flights (National, Regional and Chapter) and could easily got Bloomington Gold, but decided not to go. Problem was you could not drive it in fear of getting paint chips, possible accident, or you could not leave it at all had to babysit it. Last year at Carlisle I sat with the car the entire week in in fear of people stealing, yes, stealing parts.

Point is, wanted to have a Corvette that I could ride, and enjoy, not a piece of furniture. Too much invested to loose, so I sold it, got what I put into it back, and purchased the 2014 Convertible. So selling a 911 or any other classic is a chance many of us are taking to purchase this new Corvette. Live the OP, I am also hoping we made the right choice.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
I just sold a Top Flight (3x) 1963 Corvette Coupe (SWC) to purchase this new Stingray. Picking car up next week and hoping that I did not make a mistake. I did a 7 year body off restoration, and car was almost perfect. Took three top flights (National, Regional and Chapter) and could easily got Bloomington Gold, but decided not to go. Problem was you could not drive it in fear of getting paint chips, possible accident, or you could not leave it at all had to babysit it. Last year at Carlisle I sat with the car the entire week in in fear of people stealing, yes, stealing parts.

Point is, wanted to have a Corvette that I could ride, and enjoy, not a piece of furniture. Too much invested to loose, so I sold it, got what I put into it back, and purchased the 2014 Convertible. So selling a 911 or any other classic is a chance many of us are taking to purchase this new Corvette. Live the OP, I am also hoping we made the right choice.

You have now figured out why I will never own an older Corvette. I really don't worry what happens to a new car. One that I have time and love in, different story.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by entman
Having had 3 new 911's I can say I bought this car because I liked it better. not because it was less expensive..
That statement alone underlines the most significant change in attitude & opinion about the 7th generation Corvette. So many people want this car.. regardless of its price tag.

Congratulations! Its a beautiful car.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
You have now figured out why I will never own an older Corvette. I really don't worry what happens to a new car. One that I have time and love in, different story.
Agreed on both points. I simply dont have the time, money, effort or garage space to own a 'toy' vehicle that I cannot fully enjoy and can only drive a limited amount of miles. My #1 reason for finally getting a Corvette was actually gas milage.

As silly as that sounds my daily driver is a '99 Lincoln Navigator that gets around 11 mpg. After hearing over & over about newer Corvettes getting 30 mpg on the highway with no wife & kids.. it was a no-brainer purchase to pick one. Its a great feeling knowing I can drive the car as much as I want AND get rewarded with twice the gas milage of my current vehicle. With the C7 getting even better mileage than my C6.. its another no brainer purchase.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Also like the C7 better than my 911

Had a 997 Carrera for many years and also looked long and hard at the new 991 but in the end the C7 was more fun, more exciting and way better looking. No regrets here.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by entman
Here a are some pictures...
WOW !

that car looks sleek and sinister at the same time.

I'd venture to say that any sportscar person knows full-well the significance that the 911 has played over the years. But, even though Porsche has given it a few facelifts... it still looks kinda dated to me.

Congrats on the Vette !
Old 05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Cid990
4th Gear

There's just something special about the Stingray. I myself traded my 2013 Nissan GTR Black Edition to get mine. No regrets!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

I know what you mean about people stealing parts off cars at Carlisle....my friend's beautiful red 62 had the original gas cap stolen off his car while it was in the US Flag display at Carlisle....try and find an original '62 gas cap. That really sucks that Corvette people will steal from other Corvette people!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Sold my 2013 Porsche 911 for this Z51 Cyber Gray Convertible

Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Robert Durff
Intermediate

Entman, great looking car! Wanted to let you know you're not alone: I have had 3 911's, have been the Secretary and Driver Skills Coordinator of the local Porsche Club, and...I'm expecting my new C7 in a couple weeks. :-) I was intrigued as soon as I saw pictures, excited when I started reading reviews, and sold when I drove it. And then I considered my maintenance costs on the 997 that has been my daily driver for 5 years... Done. I still have a '75 911s which I'll never sell, but I'm looking forward to something new and different in the garage.

Will need to re-learn how to drive with the engine up front. :-)
Old 05-30-2014, 12:37 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tractman
....try and find an original '62 gas cap...
Apparently they are relatively easy to find...at Carlisle.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Durff
Entman, great looking car! Wanted to let you know you're not alone: I have had 3 911's, have been the Secretary and Driver Skills Coordinator of the local Porsche Club, and...I'm expecting my new C7 in a couple weeks. :-) I was intrigued as soon as I saw pictures, excited when I started reading reviews, and sold when I drove it. And then I considered my maintenance costs on the 997 that has been my daily driver for 5 years... Done. I still have a '75 911s which I'll never sell, but I'm looking forward to something new and different in the garage.

Will need to re-learn how to drive with the engine up front. :-)
I haven't been able to get a test drive so my concern is the overall feel vs the 911. I'm concerned the C7 may still feel similar to the C6 or more of a muscle car feel vs. the euro feel. How was your experience?

Quick Reply: Sold my 2013 Porsche 911 for this Z51 Cyber Gray Convertible