C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop complaining about Orange peel!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:59 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Stop complaining about Orange peel!

Take look at the new Mercedes S class paint!
Attached Images     
Old 06-10-2014, 06:07 AM
wan65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it on my 2012 dodge 1500 4X4 also.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Looks like the panel alignment could be better on that S class also.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Orange peel is like black trim compared to bright work.. It is the new "in" thing.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,897 Posts

Agreed. The aftermarket exists for a reason; just like you can add power to the engine, you can also add gloss and smoothness to the exterior. If you was a flawless hand-finished exterior then pay for it. While this GT-R offers this as a factory option with certain optional paint colors, any local quality bodyshop can do this for you for cheaper than what it would cost as a factory option.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

EPA rules and regulations have caused this condition through out the industry. Smooth finish is possible though economically prohibited. That said I really can't fault my NRB paint job. The paint flowed out real well, shows it can be done. Wonder why my car is painted so good? Has Corvette's finish been improved?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Mine looks just fine for a production car as well.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Related to that, many on the forum complain that 3M car bra material has orange peel. I have it on two cars, both 5+ yrs old and never noticed until being active on this forum. Then when I went out and stared at it, I could see what people were talking about but it isn’t a big deal.

Suspect that my car will not be perfect paint wise but I’ll bet it will be pretty. Don
Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

I had my 65' Coupe judged by NCRS last fall. My paint was deducted because it was too smooth. Needs to show some orange peel or it considered non-factory paint
Old 06-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Related to that, many on the forum complain that 3M car bra material has orange peel. I have it on two cars, both 5+ yrs old and never noticed until being active on this forum. Then when I went out and stared at it, I could see what people were talking about but it isn’t a big deal.

Suspect that my car will not be perfect paint wise but I’ll bet it will be pretty. Don
People on the internet will complain about anything and everything...and typically know of a better/superior product that you've never heard of. As we all know, the smartest guys in the world reside on internet forums
Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

What am I looking at here???
Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,424 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I frankly don't give a damn what the paint looks like on other models. Some of the Stingrays are coming out of Bowling Green with good paint. Some are coming out with really bad orange peel. BG needs to get its act together and lay a consistently good paint job. Apparently it's possible for the Stingray to be made with decent paint, cuz they are doing so on some of them. They just need to get to a point where they're doing so on all of them. It's the inconsistency that's the problem. If you order a new Stingray, it's basically a crap shoot whether the car will arrive with a decent paint job. Shouldn't be that way.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Okay, some orange peel is expected. My question is why so much inconsistency? Some cars are fine, others like Jag's were so bad they brought the car back to the factory for major remediation. What a story that was - his 'complaining' worked for him. I saw a Premier vert in the showroom that had a right rear quarter that looked nothing like the rest of the car.

Mercedes - Corvette - other high end cars - they should all have a consistently good finish. Seems that technology ought to be able to improve on this - I understand this will cost but I'm willing to pay for this on a high end car. Perhaps having an RPO for a premium finish is the answer so those that want it can pay for it and those that aren't so interested can pass.

I'll be adding a C7 to the stable in the next year, but for this reason I hesitate to order one so I can avoid the hassle of potentially poor paint . Would rather take one from stock if I can find one equipped the way I would like.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Agreed. The aftermarket exists for a reason; just like you can add power to the engine, you can also add gloss and smoothness to the exterior. If you was a flawless hand-finished exterior then pay for it. While this GT-R offers this as a factory option with certain optional paint colors, any local quality bodyshop can do this for you for cheaper than what it would cost as a factory option.
The people complaining dont want the problem fixed. They simply want something to continuing bytch about it.

I completely agree that for $1000 or two.. any local bodyshop can have your paint looking as perfect as perfect can be. Considering the Corvette is already an incredible value at its current prices.. the extra bucks spent to have perfect paint isnt a big deal. If you are that concerned with perfect paint, then put your money where your mouth is and get it done!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:07 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,424 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
The people complaining dont want the problem fixed. They simply want something to continuing bytch about it.

I completely agree that for $1000 or two.. any local bodyshop can have your paint looking as perfect as perfect can be. Considering the Corvette is already an incredible value at its current prices.. the extra bucks spent to have perfect paint isnt a big deal. If you are that concerned with perfect paint, then put your money where your mouth is and get it done!

I disagree. I do want the problem fixed. You'll look long and hard to find more of a Corvette fan than me, and you won't find him.

The notion that somebody should have to take a brand new product and then fix it is laughable.

Reports indicate team Corvette is aware of the problem and working to improve it. Perhaps you'd prefer they stop their efforts?

Frankly I think BG and Tadge and co. have sufficient intellectual honesty and emotional maturity to recognize an opportunity to take a product that by most accounts is very good, and make it better.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OnPoint you're correct.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I frankly don't give a damn what the paint looks like on other models. Some of the Stingrays are coming out of Bowling Green with good paint. Some are coming out with really bad orange peel. BG needs to get its act together and lay a consistently good paint job. Apparently it's possible for the Stingray to be made with decent paint, cuz they are doing so on some of them. They just need to get to a point where they're doing so on all of them. It's the inconsistency that's the problem. If you order a new Stingray, it's basically a crap shoot whether the car will arrive with a decent paint job. Shouldn't be that way.
well said...it's about the worst I have seen....it clearly detracts from the depth of reflection when detailing...many others don't - and if they admitted it at the recent NCM bash, they clearly feel it 's worse than the competition....

Get notified of new replies

To Stop complaining about Orange peel!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
But Hey, it's a great paint and car for the money!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I guess this is the "I love orange peel" thread.

What's next? S Class had to go to dealer for blown engine?

Who cares about an S Class or BMW? When a Hyundai or Kia has better paint, it's time for the plant to step it up, and that goes for everybody.

Michael
Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 PM
DriveCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I don't understand is why the C6s paint is fine but the C7s is so bumpy. Thats the real question here. My 2013 has flawless paint. What happened?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stop complaining about Orange peel!