Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Solution for Navigation Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:56 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

To anyone who has commented, "Mine works just fine"...

I would invite you to go to this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...assistant.html

...and download the attached file, rename to .csv and try to load into your GPS.

It's not that MY GPS doesn't work, it that ALL OF OUR GPSs won't load a file of POIs, which, is a basic function for GPS units going back over 10 years!

If I was saying I was disappointed because there's no way to carry 5 people to work with me in my Vette, you'd say "the car isn't built to do that".

In this case, the car IS BUILT to do that, and doesn't work. The car is also built to allow you to select Audiobooks and Podcasts from your USB stick - it's an actual menu choice on the car's menu, and is cited in the owner's manual. BUT, that doesn't work either, and no one at GM seems to respond.

Therein lies my frustration. A simple acknowledgement of the issues and a simple software fix is all that's needed.

Ed

ps. for non-NAV owners, I think this is a simple, effective way to add GPS to your Vette. For Nav owners like me, it's a Plan B for those days when the Infotainment Nav System in the dash is misbehaving.

In either case, I personally would be embarrassed to have a GPS hanging off my windshield in a $70K+ Corvette that offers an in-dash option! Just a quirk, I guess
Old 06-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5eddiem
I decided on a plan B, for those days when my built in Infotainment Navigation system just doesn't want to work right. (most days, most places)

Ok, so maybe it isn't what you were expecting, but you've got to admit, it makes sense! After over 2 months of speaking to Chevy phone customer service and forum customer service, and following their advice precisely (went to my local service manager, with a 2 page document that outlines the problems) - and no response! It seems like the most reliable way to be sure to get where I want to go is to provide an alternate solution. Under $100, works every time, AND loads POIS the way most GPS units do.

Out of frustration, I built a wooden base (visible at the bottom of the unit) that fits the floor of the secret compartment and holds the Garmin in a good spot. The dash provides some shielding from satellite signals but the Garmin works well enough to be more practical than the $795 "newly improved" GM Nav unit.

Truly disappointed in GM on 2 counts:

1) poorly designed user interface, not just eh Nav, but the whole Infotainment System
2) no response to documented issues from anyone associated with Chevrolet, after i was assured by our forum customer service people that they would make sure the problems were brought to the right people's attention and would get a response.

Love the car, but the people that support it need to step up to the plate, especially on some items that a simple software edit could resolve.

IMHO,
Ed
Plus the contrast is bright enough to read in sunlight!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hope GM steps up and gets your issues resolved quickly. Meanwhile, pretty good thinking to install a GPS in that space.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:09 PM
msaldivar
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided on a plan B, for those days when my built in Infotainment Navigation system just doesn't want to work right. (most days, most places)

Ok, so maybe it isn't what you were expecting, but you've got to admit, it makes sense! After over 2 months of speaking to Chevy phone customer service and forum customer service, and following their advice precisely (went to my local service manager, with a 2 page document that outlines the problems) - and no response! It seems like the most reliable way to be sure to get where I want to go is to provide an alternate solution. Under $100, works every time, AND loads POIS the way most GPS units do.

Out of frustration, I built a wooden base (visible at the bottom of the unit) that fits the floor of the secret compartment and holds the Garmin in a good spot. The dash provides some shielding from satellite signals but the Garmin works well enough to be more practical than the $795 "newly improved" GM Nav unit.

Truly disappointed in GM on 2 counts:

1) poorly designed user interface, not just eh Nav, but the whole Infotainment System
2) no response to documented issues from anyone associated with Chevrolet, after i was assured by our forum customer service people that they would make sure the problems were brought to the right people's attention and would get a response.

Love the car, but the people that support it need to step up to the plate, especially on some items that a simple software edit could resolve.

IMHO,
Ed
Will the Garmin work with a USB to Garmin cable, or does it need a 12v power source to Garmin?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msaldivar
Will the Garmin work with a USB to Garmin cable, or does it need a 12v power source to Garmin?
It will work with a USB to Garmin cable (USB to Mini USB) but the cable must be power only, not a data cable. With a data cable the GPS will try to go into PC-GPS mode.

Ed
Old 06-25-2014, 06:01 PM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

It will work with a USB to Garmin cable (USB to Mini USB) but the cable must be power only, not a data cable. With a data cable the GPS will try to go into PC-GPS mode.

Ed
If anyone is using/plans to use a TomTom Nav system, I use the same cable that I use to connect to my computer and I just have to select "NO" when it asks if I want to connect to the computer, thus the USB cable just functions as a power source.

Quick Reply: New Solution for Navigation Issues!