Corsa or Borla...why did you choose one over the other

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Corsa or Borla...why did you choose one over the other

I'm about to order my exhaust and just wondered why folks chose to order one over the other. this is really my first venture into aftermarket exhaust so I'm sort of in the dark.

I have NPP an would like to maintain the function of it being quiet in tour mode so I am thinking Borla may be the only option for that functionality. Have I misunderstood? Is there something else I should consider?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Billy Boat also has exhaust systems that integrate with the factory NPP system, so you might want to check that out as well. LMperformance is running a big sale right now on all the exhaust systems mentioned, so it's a good time to buy. I don't have npp, so I'm going with the Billy Boat bullets. I'm ordering tonight (as soon as my wife goes to bed )

LMperformance sale thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...rformance.html
Old 06-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Corsa is not offering the NPP, regardless of previous statements. I've heard this from an engineer there two different times; despite my dismay.

Andre at Borla just called me a couple days ago and said they finally released theirs and it does tie in to the NPP.

Billy Boat also has an NPP setup available and that's what I have had here for awhile with the Fusion mufflers.

Let me know if you want a setup. As a previous customer, I'll beat all published offers
Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Corsa is not offering the NPP, regardless of previous statements. I've heard this from an engineer there two different times; despite my dismay.

Andre at Borla just called me a couple days ago and said they finally released theirs and it does tie in to the NPP.

Billy Boat also has an NPP setup available and that's what I have had here for awhile with the Fusion mufflers.

Let me know if you want a setup. As a previous customer, I'll beat all published offers
Your recommendation is Borla then it sounds, based on my needs? I'm also interested in the black tips which I understand Borla offers?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:20 PM
DriveCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Borla is best.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:43 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Corsa is far and away the best aftermarket exhaust made. Zero drone. I've had them all over owning many C5s and a C6. Corsa is the only one that truly has zero drone.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Eh when it comes down to it these days, most axle backs on high perf cars are pretty close for early stage mods. It usually comes down to sound preference. When you get into deeper mods like cams, headers, etc is where the major differences come in.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:01 PM
TXArtic
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Corsa system on my Challenger I traded in on my new Stingray. I can tell you that the Corsa fit/finish was excellent. The exhaust note was perfect and as advertised there was no drone, even with the MDS active (4cyl mode). Note that the Corsa did get slightly louder after putting about 1000 miles on it.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 PM
DriveCorvette
Racer

Borla sounds better. I don't use my radio any longer because the car sounds so good. Its all good sound with 0 resonance.

Last edited by DriveCorvette; 06-21-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 PM
mollygirl
Intermediate

Default Which Corsa

I was wondering what is the best sound that is not obnoxious and not really loud inside the Corvette. Also what is the purpose of the X pipe and does the pipe and or catback affect warrantee?. Does it add to the sound? I understand this is a personal choice. I just want more sound than stock. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by mollygirl; 06-23-2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: I meant to say which version of Corsa?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I hear all the hype on these aftermarket exhausts and it seems like all everyone is interested in is sound. Sound is great but I never see/hear of the power figures for any of these systems. Are there any?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

On the Corsa the X pipe is picking up 10 HP. The mufflers 1 to 2. With a custom tune I picked up 26 total. Search in this section and in the tech section for my dyno sheets and videos of the dyno and tuning. But I am running the full Corsa race system which I understand is only available from a tuner selling Corsa.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Mike15239
Cruising

I'm a Corsa fan and had them on two of my C6's but going to go to Carlisle and listen to them at the display and decide this time. Had an extreme on my 09' it was a bit loud so went with the touring on my 13' ... Not sure what will do on the C7 yet but did order a supercharger should be in next week. That might help the tone a bit as well.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike15239
I'm a Corsa fan and had them on two of my C6's but going to go to Carlisle and listen to them at the display and decide this time. Had an extreme on my 09' it was a bit loud so went with the touring on my 13' ... Not sure what will do on the C7 yet but did order a supercharger should be in next week. That might help the tone a bit as well.
Good idea Mike going to Carlisle and talking to all the vendors. With the C7 for Corsa there are a lot more variables then with prior Corvette models. There are numerous components available to accomodate other mods you plan. For instance they do not recommend extremes for a car with headers. Another factor is the V4 mode. I had mine eliminated with the custom tune and you need to shut off the valves and motors. So a little more to consider. Good luck hunting, it will work out and you will be pleased.

One thing you won't be able to judge in Carlisle is the droan factor. There is absolutly none with my Corsa extremes and they are LOUD. I hate droan!!! There is more droan with the NPP system then with the Corsa option.

Too bad were 2 hours away or I'd give you a close up tour. But I would recommend considering or at least talking to Smokey's Dyno in Akron. The owner has a C7 with the Corsa and just put twin turbos on it...... tells me the turbos added 200 HP. 330-644-0021 Great guys!!!

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 06-24-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:00 AM
SEVETGO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Corsa is far and away the best aftermarket exhaust made. Zero drone. I've had them all over owning many C5s and a C6. Corsa is the only one that truly has zero drone.
Could not agree more.... had my third set of Corsas and I love them, others advertise NO DRONE, corsa delivers NO DRONE Love the Extremes and they work with NPP
Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
No drone is pretty much the reason I went with Corsa on my C6.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 PM
thespymaster
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm about to order my exhaust and just wondered why folks chose to order one over the other. this is really my first venture into aftermarket exhaust so I'm sort of in the dark.

I have NPP an would like to maintain the function of it being quiet in tour mode so I am thinking Borla may be the only option for that functionality. Have I misunderstood? Is there something else I should consider?
First, I chose Corsa Xtreme without Xpipe for both sound and looks

Secondly, and price high, but my understanding the MagnaFlow has the NPP function built into it right out of the box!

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa or Borla...why did you choose one over the other

Old 06-24-2014, 02:36 PM
stingray87xx
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Seems like the NPP exhaust is pretty darn good sounding already and it howls when you open it up. Best of both worlds. My own opinion but I think the best sound upgrade would be a set of long tubes if you can get around some of the "rules."

I've been reading around the forum and some claim approx 96dB max from the factory Performance Exhaust option at about 50 feet give or take? Anyone vouch for that?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:51 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stingray87xx
Seems like the NPP exhaust is pretty darn good sounding already and it howls when you open it up. Best of both worlds. My own opinion but I think the best sound upgrade would be a set of long tubes if you can get around some of the "rules."

I've been reading around the forum and some claim approx 96dB max from the factory Performance Exhaust option at about 50 feet give or take? Anyone vouch for that?
Not sure how it is with LTs but I'd say I'm generally disappointed with the NPP exhaust note. It sounds amazing at start up, but quickly becomes pretty mild even in sport mode. I just want to have the ability of using touring mode and making the exhaust quiet and conservative.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM
stingray87xx
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mollygirl
Also what is the purpose of the X pipe and does the pipe and or catback affect warrantee?. Does it add to the sound? I understand this is a personal choice. I just want more sound than stock. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
The X pipe gives a crossover section to produce a scavanging affect for the exhaust between gas pulses. VERY simply, without it, each bank would be pulling against itself while the other side is firing, then push against itself when firing again. This is extremely turbulant, relatively inefficient, and quite a violent act also resutling in a loud and choppy exhaust note. H and X pipes are made to fix these issues. They scavange the exhaust, make gas removal more effective, and smoothen out and tone the exhaust note. So it doesn't "add" to the sound but rather tune the sound.

Catback systems should not affect the warranty except for anything related to the exhaust itself, like if the NPP solenoid were to boink up. So if your heads crack as an example, a catback system wouldn't void the warranty for that. Otherwise, find a different dealership.

Quick Reply: Corsa or Borla...why did you choose one over the other