Sponsored by:

1LT vs. 1LT Z-51

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default 1LT vs. 1LT Z-51

I notice that the Corvette with the 1LT option is the lightest Corvette.
But with the addition of the Z-51 package you have a choice if you want the magnetic ride suspension or not. Also you get all of those different driving modes.
I understand the 1LT option without the Z-51 doesn't have the different driving modes.

So then how does the base Corvette drive without those driving modes without Z-51 and magnetic ride vs. a Corvette that does have those modes and Z-51 package? Or is it a gimmick?
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

The base car 1LT has the driving modes does it not? I rented a 2LT and loved it. Do you plan on taking the car to the track? If not the Z51 is overkill IMHO. I ordered a base 3LT because I wanted the softer ride the "taller" tires give. $4,000 for the Z51 and another $1,300? for the mag is totally wasted on me.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:28 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
The base car 1LT has the driving modes does it not? I rented a 2LT and loved it. Do you plan on taking the car to the track? If not the Z51 is overkill IMHO. I ordered a base 3LT because I wanted the softer ride the "taller" tires give. $4,000 for the Z51 and another $1,300? for the mag is totally wasted on me.
So then the base car does have all the driving modes? Can you tell the difference between the modes?
Only problem with these option packages is that you can't get the magnetic ride option as a stand alone option like before. Now you have to buy the Z-51 option to get the magnetic ride option.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
So then the base car does have all the driving modes? Can you tell the difference between the modes?
Only problem with these option packages is that you can't get the magnetic ride option as a stand alone option like before. Now you have to buy the Z-51 option to get the magnetic ride option.
While the suspension does not change, throttle response and steering, as well as the electronic nannies like Active handling and Traction control, change. It is noticeable, although not to the extent of the change in the MRC.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:03 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Can you tell the difference between the modes?
Yes, you can definitely tell the difference between the driving modes with MSRC. No, it is not a gimmick.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:04 AM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I've only driven my 1LT...it does have all the driving modes, which control a number of variables (you can read about it in the owners manual) but not the suspension. My understanding was that the 1LT suspension was a more road-tuned suspension and the Z-51 was track-tuned, making the Z-51 ride much more harsh without the magnetic ride option. I read a review early on that complimented the tuning of the base suspension relative to even that provided by the MRC which really influenced my decision to stick with the base model, but having never driven a Z-51 with MRC I don't know how accurate that comparison was. I don't intend to do much if any tracking in my car.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the non-Z51 model and I personally like the suspension. It's very comfortable as a daily driver and the car certainly corners better than my previous S4 or S5. That being said I was taking a road with a lot of twists and changes in elevation and found there to be a little bit of floatiness in those extreme types of turns. . .it's a trade off for sure. My friend's 911 seemed much more tight around those turns but is much harsher. . .the Z51 package would likely be better in those twisties, but for everyday driving I've heard a lot of people say that the non MRC Z51 is harsh, although the MRC is much more comfortable depending on driving mode. . .ie, unless the car is a pure track car, if you get the Z51, get MRC. If you're not going to track it ever, non-Z51 is probably a good bet. again, just my personal perspective having never driven a z51 with or without MRC but read a LOT about it on here. . .
Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

This is my second out of six corvettes to have standard suspension and I love it the best of all my previous rides. Would not consider Z-51 without Mag ride. Never tracked my cars except for drags. Traded two of my vettes very quickly and they were ones with harsh Z-51 suspension. 07 and 12GS. This car works for me very well!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Before you make your decision, you may want to check out the C7 Performance/Tech sub forum. There are guys who went with the base c7 suspension who are now adding Z51 shocks and sway bars to eliminate the floatiness that some have reported when engaging in spirited driving in the twisties. Course the addition of the stiffer shocks and swaybars ( the base has no rear sway bar, so the Z51 rear sway bar is a new part installed in the base C7 rear) result in a firmer ride on less than mainly smooth roads according to reports. There is no free lunch and to me must haves are Z51/Mag ride, even if one never goes to the track, for the best all around dialed in fun experience. GM, at considerable expense and time I'm sure, carefully selected the right match of shocks, springs, swaybars, tires, steering settings, mag ride etc, and wired it all together to work in harmony. I'm waiting for the C7 Z06, but if I was going Stingray, since I'm not a track person, it would still be 3LT, Z51/mag ride, NPP.

Last edited by musclecar6; 07-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Adding the Z51 sway bars to the base suspension is a nice all around set up for folks that drive their cars everyday on our pot hole filled roads and in all weather conditions.

I believe most Corvette enthusiast will agree that for 90% of your needs that is the best bang for the buck.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayir
I have the non-Z51 model and I personally like the suspension. It's very comfortable as a daily driver and the car certainly corners better than my previous S4 or S5. That being said I was taking a road with a lot of twists and changes in elevation and found there to be a little bit of floatiness in those extreme types of turns. . .it's a trade off for sure. My friend's 911 seemed much more tight around those turns but is much harsher. . .the Z51 package would likely be better in those twisties, but for everyday driving I've heard a lot of people say that the non MRC Z51 is harsh, although the MRC is much more comfortable depending on driving mode. . .ie, unless the car is a pure track car, if you get the Z51, get MRC. If you're not going to track it ever, non-Z51 is probably a good bet. again, just my personal perspective having never driven a z51 with or without MRC but read a LOT about it on here. . .
The base suspension could be tightened slightly. I just noticed a slight float in hard turns the other day running twisty roads. Not bad but not as tight as the C6 F55 suspension. The base suspension has performed well 98% of the time on my driving. Still not sorry I went with the base car.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Before you make your decision, you may want to check out the C7 Performance/Tech sub forum. There are guys who went with the base c7 suspension who are now adding Z51 shocks and sway bars to eliminate the floatiness that some have reported when engaging in spirited driving in the twisties..
Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Adding the Z51 sway bars to the base suspension is a nice all around set up for folks that drive their cars everyday on our pot hole filled roads and in all weather conditions.

Originally Posted by Larry/car
The base suspension could be tightened slightly. I just noticed a slight float in hard turns the other day running twisty roads. .
/\This. I bought a base car with the intention of tightening up the suspension a bit as i did on my Base 2008. Z51 Sways and shocks have resulted in the perfect combination of Day to day driveability, Mountain road aggressiveness, comfort and cost. I've got $600 into Z51 sways and shocks, and for me this is the perfect combination. Comfortable, precise, liveable. YMMV, but it works for me.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Trim level has nothing to do with what suspension you have. There are three suspensions: FE1 is the non-Z51 suspension, FE3 is the Z51 suspension w/o MSRC, FE4 is the Z51 suspension with MSRC.

All C7's have the mode control switch. Which of the settings actually change depends on what options you have. Trans Shift Mode only impacts Automatics, Exhaust Mode only impacts cars with NPP exhaust, Electronic Limited Slip only impacts Z51's, Magnetic Selective Ride only impacts Z51's with MSRC.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2014, 02:27 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

You don't have to be "at the track" to reap the benefits of the Z51. Read the white papers on the e-LSD. I've owned BOTH a Z51 and a Z51 with MSRC. The Z51 without the adjustable shocks gives a very good ride, about the same as the Z51 (MSRC) in "sport" mode. The "track" mode is the stiffest suspension you can get currently in a C7. (with the adjustable shocks).
Old 07-03-2014, 02:42 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MSRC is amazing in my 1LT Z51 equiped car. If i want a non z51 soft ride, i throw it in Touring, If I want to open up the NPP and stiff'n the suspension and steering i Throw it in Sport, and If i want to feel like i'm in a ***** to the wall race car (fully open exhaust, Stiffest steering, and race car stiff suspension) I throw that bad boy in "Track Mode: Dry Pavement (or wet, snow, race 1, race 2)" The depth of ride options makes it feel like a new car everytime I get in.

Don't even get me going on ECO mode. I was averaging 33mpg going 75mph in 7th gear. I drove 300 miles and only used about a half tank of gas. The range this car pulls off is F**k'n insane. C7 is a true GT
Old 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
MSRC is amazing in my 1LT Z51 equiped car. If i want a non z51 soft ride, i throw it in Touring, If I want to open up the NPP and stiff'n the suspension and steering i Throw it in Sport, and If i want to feel like i'm in a ***** to the wall race car (fully open exhaust, Stiffest steering, and race car stiff suspension) I throw that bad boy in "Track Mode: Dry Pavement (or wet, snow, race 1, race 2)" The depth of ride options makes it feel like a new car everytime I get in.

Don't even get me going on ECO mode. I was averaging 33mpg going 75mph in 7th gear. I drove 300 miles and only used about a half tank of gas. The range this car pulls off is F**k'n insane. C7 is a true GT
Now this /\ is an enthusiastic owner!
Old 07-03-2014, 02:59 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The mag ride shocks are worth the money just my opinion need z15 for that lower trans gear 7mn lower rear gears in Auto don't know about this for 2015 with 8 speed.
z51vett
Doug

Get notified of new replies

To 1LT vs. 1LT Z-51

Old 07-03-2014, 03:03 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

[QUOTE=LS3_E85_Corvette;1587278547]MSRC is amazing in my 1LT Z51 equiped car. If i want a non z51 soft ride, i throw it in Touring, If I want to open up the NPP and stiff'n the suspension and steering i Throw it in Sport, and If i want to feel like i'm in a ***** to the wall race car (fully open exhaust, Stiffest steering, and race car stiff suspension) I throw that bad boy in "Track Mode: Dry Pavement (or wet, snow, race 1, race 2)" The depth of ride options makes it feel like a new car everytime I get in."

My opinion is quite similar. If you are going to buy the Z51 then buy the MSRC. It makes the car very versatile and frankly, even more fun.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:50 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a Z51 non-Mag coupe for 8-months and currently own a loaded Z51 convertible with Mag. The FE3 handled very well... and now I also attest to the awesome versatility of the FE4 suspension. It literally transforms the Stingray to another level. MSRC is so well worth it!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:36 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayir

The Z51 is not harsh but a firmer ride. Like you said when you push the car in curves it shows. The z51 is perfect for a sports car!

Quick Reply: 1LT vs. 1LT Z-51