Sponsored by:

Is the Catch Can necessary

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:23 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Talking about what other manufacturers do to keep oil out of the intake is completely relevant to this thread. God knows I don't want to turn this into yet another Porsche thread, which is why I mentioned three other manufacturers using air oil separators. There are more. Your opinion is yours, not necessarily mine. If your not interested in what other manufacturers are doing to address the problem, don't respond to those posts. I'd say it's more than a little amusing.
Well said...This Forum is an ideal place to gain knowledge about issues from individuals with a broad base of experience. The topic of this Thread is Catch Cans...information about the use of Catch Cans, needed or not, is very relevant no matter the manufacturer. If it is a gasoline direct injected engine, the information is spot on.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking about what other manufacturers do to keep oil out of the intake is completely relevant to this thread. God knows I don't want to turn this into yet another Porsche thread, which is why I mentioned three other manufacturers using air oil separators. There are more. Your opinion is yours, not necessarily mine. If your not interested in what other manufacturers are doing to address the problem, don't respond to those posts. I'd say it's more than a little amusing.
Okay guys, let's play nice.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,240 Posts

sure, i agree but posing another method as supplementary instead of alternative to promote a useless device on another system is misleading.

you are saying that since porsche uses Method S instead of Method P then it makes sense to supplement Method P with Addendum C, which is of course, preposterous.

especially when the porsche system is not used to "address the problem" of oily intake valves, because it doesn't work, obviously. the porsche system is there to perform the same function as the chevy pcv system, which also isn't 100% oil proof. so the porsche system is no more effective than the chevy system and therefore cannot possibly be contributory to the catch can discussion.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

It's been my feeling all along that if it was really necessary, with all the development and effort evident everywhere, it would be there from the factory. I am comfortable without a can.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:27 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
It's been my feeling all along that if it was really necessary, with all the development and effort evident everywhere, it would be there from the factory. I am comfortable without a can.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM
v8capt
Racer

Originally Posted by C7Joy
OP, Catch can or no catch can, I really don't care, but I don't want oil from the PVC entering the intake and coking my valves. If anyone has a better method I would sure like to know. This is not only a problem with GM, but every direct injection engine. If you think this condition doesn't exist you have the right to ignore it.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by v8capt
OP, Catch can or no catch can, I really don't care, but I don't want oil from the PVC entering the intake and coking my valves. If anyone has a better method I would sure like to know. This is not only a problem with GM, but every direct injection engine. If you think this condition doesn't exist you have the right to ignore it.
the condition exists and if I have said it once I've said it 4 times......the only way to keep the valves and intake clean is to remove the pcv system and vent to atmosphere through a filter which can cause condensation and poopy contamination in the crankcase or use a vacuum pump which will keep your crankcase squeaky clean and can give a 15-30 hp bump (no joke) except it costs way more and isn't available yet as a kit for the C7.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
the condition exists and if I have said it once I've said it 4 times......the only way to keep the valves and intake clean is to remove the pcv system and vent to atmosphere through a filter which can cause condensation and poopy contamination in the crankcase or use a vacuum pump which will keep your crankcase squeaky clean and can give a 15-30 hp bump (no joke) except it costs way more and isn't available yet as a kit for the C7.
Which as I’ve said a couple of times is illegal, because it makes your car pollute as much as about 50 properly controlled cars. We really are getting redundant here, but at least this time I won’t make the error of saying you are advocating that move. You are simply saying that it’s possible. Now you can call me a weenie again for saying that move would be irresponsible, all in good fun of course.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by LDB
Which as I’ve said a couple of times is illegal, because it makes your car pollute as much as about 50 properly controlled cars. We really are getting redundant here, but at least this time I won’t make the error of saying you are advocating that move. You are simply saying that it’s possible. Now you can call me a weenie again for saying that move would be irresponsible, all in good fun of course.

so the real end of the discussion answer is there is no way to prevent oil from entering the intake manifold from the pcv system unless you illegally modify the system. you can waste money on band aids but they will only fall off in the pool and gross everyone out.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by v8capt
...The 2015 Lamborghini Huracan uses direct injection plus port injection and an air oil separator....they say they are doing the duel injection for power and emissions but I wonder if will have the benefit of keeping the intake valves clean.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8...zQyFyWe3EMPyA-
Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Don't waste your time or money on a catch can. Gm engineers did an amazing job with the lt1 motor.

Jmo
The following users liked this post:
Chemdawg99 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 AM
v8capt
Racer

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Don't waste your time or money on a catch can. Gm engineers did an amazing job with the lt1 motor.

Jmo
Your aware of the problem and I'll just bet you change your mind down the road. GM didn't invent the Direct injection theory they just ran with a great idea. That being said, I think they did a great job with this car. This is my 15th Corvette and it is the very best.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 AM
v8capt
Racer

The only complete cure is to install a vacuum pump and a catch can. That will completely eliminate any oil entering the manifold. Eventually this will be G M cure and have the excess oil drain back into the oil pan or dry sump system. If the catch can manufacturers are reading this they know I am absolutely correct, make it they will come.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like an oil separator could be used to extract the oil, but instead of passing it thru the intake valve, why not inject it with the fuel, directly into the cylinder .. so you still combust the crankcase vapors, but don't pass the oil over the intake valve?

Just trying to think outside the box ..
Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
v8capt
Racer

Originally Posted by jerryv
Seems like an oil separator could be used to extract the oil, but instead of passing it thru the intake valve, why not inject it with the fuel, directly into the cylinder .. so you still combust the crankcase vapors, but don't pass the oil over the intake valve?

Just trying to think outside the box ..
Great idea, but you would need vacuum pull from the crankcase. If I was a catch Can mfg. I would invent something and patent it. Than sell it to the car manufacturers. There is a way to solve the problem.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:33 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 317 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticWhiteZ51
If you have a Z51 pull your air bridge and filter and see what is in there. You may be unpleasantly surprised. I had oil puddled in there at ~1500 miles with normal break in.

99% sure the sump tank is burping as that pcv hose is very oily.

We'll see what it looks like at the next oil change.
UPDATE: Cleaned air bridge at 1500 miles (good puddle in there....uugghh). Changed oil at 2200 myself and have kept it at 75% of hash mark at 7min check interval. Checked today at ~5200mi and bone dry.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:05 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,457 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm thinking that if a catch can was really needed, an extra $100 cost of adding it while the engine was on the production line GM would've done it already. I'm not going to second guess the engine engineers at GM, I think they know what they're doing.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Catch Can necessary

Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 556 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by themonk
I'm thinking that if a catch can was really needed, an extra $100 cost of adding it while the engine was on the production line GM would've done it already. I'm not going to second guess the engine engineers at GM, I think they know what they're doing.

Yup...installed one, then got about a tsp per 1000 miles, read the criswell article, took it off and sold it. I think gm is not stupid in this regard.

Last edited by Glen e; 01-29-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Yup...installed one, then got about a tsp per 1000 miles, read the criswell article, took it off and sold it. I think gm is not stupid in this regard.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Jontall
A catch can is cheap insurance and I always install one, but it does need to be maintained regularly.
Honestly, it's cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Is the Catch Can necessary