Attn: Chevy Customer Service-oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 954 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Attn: Chevy Customer Service-oil changes

I realize you guys can't really do much but make an appointment for a person with the dealer, but you surely can call the warranty department and give us an answer on this free oil change stuff.

Why is it some dealers make you wait until you are at the 20%, and others will do the free 4 changes anytime in the first two years?

Clearly there is a warranty edict from GM on this, why are dealers so diff? All I can figure is the 20% guys are strictly following the policy, and the other guys are just telling you the cust is at 20% for reimbursement.

What is the policy?????
Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I realize you guys can't really do much but make an appointment for a person with the dealer, but you surely can call the warranty department and give us an answer on this free oil change stuff.

Why is it some dealers make you wait until you are at the 20%, and others will do the free 4 changes anytime in the first two years?

Clearly there is a warranty edict from GM on this, why are dealers so diff? All I can figure is the 20% guys are strictly following the policy, and the other guys are just telling you the cust is at 20% for reimbursement.

What is the policy?????
I wanted my oil changed before a long trip and it was at 34% but it had been 7 months since delivery - I got the "under 20%" story.
As long as they keep track of 4 free changes why should it matter when those are done. I hope we can get a legitimate answer from CS
Old 09-04-2014, 02:19 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

It's a fair question. I changed my own oil at 3,000 miles, but didn't reset the oil monitor. I should hit 20% around 6,000 miles.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:27 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Yeah, and what do you do when you are a techo weannie like me and accidently reset your remaining oil life screen from 46% to 100%??
Old 09-04-2014, 02:59 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

The answer may be as simple as some dealers see the value in good customer relations and others are pinching the reimbursement pennies.

I wanted to change the oil in my Cadillac SRX more frequently than the OLM interval. The service manager said they cannot change before 20% and be reimbursed the cost of a synthetic blend change. If I change it myself between, I should not reset the OLM and they will change when the reading is 20% or less.

GM's policy is likely the same across all car lines. Those dealers changing more frequently or with Mobil 1 are probably absorbing the cost differential to keep customers coming into their service department. It is very easy to go to a different dealer no matter where the car was purchased.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:10 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

It's understandable that dealers are confused: previous GM free maintenance programs have had the 20% requirement because many cars accumulate a lot of miles in a few years. But because so many Corvette don't accumulate many miles Corvettes were instead capped at 4 changes regardless of miles.

Unfortunately it wasn't clearly noted to dealers that the programs are different, they just assume it's the same as always.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

They simply changed my oil when I asked. No questions or problems!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:26 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
It's understandable that dealers are confused: previous GM free maintenance programs have had the 20% requirement because many cars accumulate a lot of miles in a few years. But because so many Corvette don't accumulate many miles Corvettes were instead capped at 4 changes regardless of miles.

Unfortunately it wasn't clearly noted to dealers that the programs are different, they just assume it's the same as always.
I don't know if they are really confused, or just don't want to perform the service at no charge to the customer (I am sure GM only reimburses a fraction of the retail oil change price). I am guessing GM allows each dealership to decide for themselves how to administer this program and that is why you see some dealers doing it when the customer wants and others that insist on the 20% rule.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1

Where is that written? My dealer is holding to the 20% rule and I would love to show him otherwise. Here is the 2-Year Maintenance program copied off the Corvette website:

Chevrolet 2-Year Scheduled Maintenance coverage is included with the purchase or lease of new 2014 Chevrolet models.

Chevrolet 2-Year Scheduled Maintenance includes only the following:

2-year/24,000-mile Scheduled Maintenance (whichever comes first; up to a total of four service events):

ACDelco dexos1®Oil and ACDelco Oil Filter Change (excludes Spark EV)

4-wheel Tire Rotation (excludes dual rear wheel vehicles, all Corvette models and select Camaro models - ZL1 model and 1LE package cars – due to their unidirectional tires; see Owner’s Manual for details)

27-Point Vehicle Inspection (MPVI)
Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I think the dealers just make $hit up. I called one and was told the 20% line. They stood firm on that. I called another and was told 6 months apart. The second dealer I was able to correct and they changed the oil at 75%. After the first change, I have no trouble with the 20% rule.
[
Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 954 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I think the dealers just make $hit up. I called one and was told the 20% line. They stood firm on that. I called another and was told 6 months apart. The second dealer I was able to correct and they changed the oil at 75%. After the first change, I have no trouble with the 20% rule.
[
Exactly the reason for the post, there is definitive text somewhere on this in the GM system.....somewhere.....
Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 503 Likes on 347 Posts

I found it it says ...."Get Magic 8 Ball and shake "
Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Exactly the reason for the post, there is definitive text somewhere on this in the GM system.....somewhere.....
There is definitive text.....2 year /24000miles scheduled maintenance, up to 4 visits is paid for by GM....

Once olm gets down to 'x' % or one year has passed, whichever is first...per the owners manual....scheduled maintenance is required....

For the majority of C7 owners, two oil/filter changes should be paid for by GM, in the 2 year period, due to the low accumulated mileage....

The dealers changing the oil prematurely would likely have a chargeback from GM ,if they were audited.....Unless they're lying about the % oil life displayed on the olm....
Old 09-04-2014, 10:45 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 455230
There is definitive text.....2 year /24000miles scheduled maintenance, up to 4 visits is paid for by GM....

Once olm gets down to 'x' % or one year has passed, whichever is first...per the owners manual....scheduled maintenance is required....

For the majority of C7 owners, two oil/filter changes should be paid for by GM, in the 2 year period, due to the low accumulated mileage....

The dealers changing the oil prematurely would likely have a chargeback from GM ,if they were audited.....Unless they're lying about the % oil life displayed on the olm....
Mileage and OLM are easily audited by OnStar history.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:30 AM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
It's a fair question. I changed my own oil at 3,000 miles, but didn't reset the oil monitor. I should hit 20% around 6,000 miles.

Good plan! I'm still waiting on my 2015, but I plan to change my own oil at ~2000 miles and not reset the oil monitor, and then let the dealer do it when the car says it's due. After that I'll just follow the car monitors schedule.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 AM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't worry about the dealers. I changed mine with Mobil 1 at 1000 miles and will again at 5000 miles.
It's less than $50 and no chance of over filling my dry sump and getting oil in the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To Attn: Chevy Customer Service-oil changes

Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Maybe I am nuts but I want to crawl under the car and do it myself, and check a few things out while I am down there.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:28 AM
396tears
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe the answer simply lies with the dealer.

My dealer changed the oil at my request when I had the rear shocks recall service work done.
At the time the car had 1850 miles on it.
No charge for the oil change and I was there for only about 2 hours for the work.

However that being said, the dealer is the host for the local Corvette club here.
They are great people to be around and are very Corvette oriented.
They also offer a 15% discount on parts and labor to the club members.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:50 AM
bullybully1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was at 60% with 3875 miles. i was ready for the 20% "talk".
They changed it without questioning anything

Quick Reply: Attn: Chevy Customer Service-oil changes